SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:41 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efowlerpreston View Post
I am about halfway through my build. Should I plan on putting the receiver behind the servo tray? With whiskers? I thoughtlessly put the tray in the middle of the hatch opening. Consequently, I might have to move the tray to get enough room to access the fuselage.
There are many ways to skin a cat. Mounting the receiver behind the servos worked out well for me. You may find a different solution.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Hi Lenny,
Were you able to screw the control horns all the way in, i.e. threads on the horn bottomed out on the threaded inserts?
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:19 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,822 Posts
No, the threaded ends of the control horns will need to be shorted a bit so you don't distort the bottom surface.

Lenny
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Hey Lenny,

Sorry, should have been more clear. I cut the horns shorter and found I still couldn't seem to get them to thread in all the way. I ended up grinding the resin residue above the threaded inserts away so I could get them threaded in further. I am showing my age...hard to see and I didn't notice it at first. Gotta get some reading glasses, I think.

Anyway, finally started working on my plane. At the rate I'm going, I should be done by summer.

Have you flown the Orion yet?
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:36 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
Hey Lenny,

Anyway, finally started working on my plane. At the rate I'm going, I should be done by summer.

Have you flown the Orion yet?
Scot,

Summer? I thought it was always summer in HI.

No, I haven't flown it. I was building it for a client, so he will have the pleasure of seeing it airborne.

Seeya,
Lenny
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:56 PM
Brum UK
Joined Jan 2001
625 Posts
I cannot remember having to shorten the threads, I did use the short horns on the flaps and the long ones on the ailerons.

Lenny - are your aileron horns a similar size to your shortened flap horns - the long ones give a good control range of movement for the ailerons
Mike
Mike Payne is offline Find More Posts by Mike Payne
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:17 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
1,037 Posts
***NAN Orion Built by Lenny Keer***

Here are some pics of the my completed Orion. This thing should really thermal and still have some Mojo for downlines! I am ready to Maiden it.

Lenny's work is great!

Phil
Phil Davy is offline Find More Posts by Phil Davy
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
I have an Orion in the next room waiting for a fitout. We have a comp here where the model is pretty much unlimited but the max battery it can use is 2200 3s. (Task time 5mins) Pretty much, he who has the least motor run time wins, and I'm thinking the Orion will be good for the windy days where I'd like to get back from waayyy downwind, without a "rescue" motor run. I have a light Euro see-thru model that works fine in light air. Being an Xplorer owner, I like them, so why not this. What motive device can I put in for max 5 sec runs? The preference being 2/3 sec runs.

I was looking at 1110-1y/6.7, CC Phoenix Ice lt 100 and 17/10, which seems to be at the limit of everything. Or maybe a Hyperion GS3032-04, CC Ph Ice Lt 150 and 14/8. Any other ideas.
Bannanaman, I am familar with the event you mention. I agree with Lenny970, A 1506-1.5D on 3S 2200 will do the job quite well. the 1.5Ds handle up to 300A in short bursts quite well and you are like lto only be using 180-200A.

You said you want it for windy weather. in windy condition the motor runs are slightly longer than in calm conditions. This influences prop choice I would suggest RFM 17x18 red on +5 spinner. whilst you probably think the 17x10-13 will give better acceleration and better climb, my testing shows that by 3 sec of motor the 17x18 is in front and because it is climbing quicker the zoom i also greater. DONOT use an aeronaut 17x10 or 17x13 on this motor, it will throw the blades, if you want to use the lower pitch props use the RFM equivalent. I would also use a CC125 rather than the ICE 100 the current is probably too hight for the ICE 100.
I use this prop spinner and controller combination in a slightly smaller model with a similar motor(Hacker B50-6s) because I had one left over from 10 cell F5B.
David H is offline Find More Posts by David H
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:18 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2000
125 Posts
The prop and spinner is exactly what I ordered. I did end up going with the 2D (per Lenny's suggestion) and CC180. Would that be OK still? I might possibly be able to alter this. Also where would the best place be for a cooling vent/vents? I assume I'd need to do this. I was thinking of modifying the aft servo hatch. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
bananaman is offline Find More Posts by bananaman
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Also where would the best place be for a cooling vent/vents?
You won't be needing any. For short bursts with thermal flying you won't need them.
A 2D is not a disaster just use 4S 1600s they are allowed in the rules. the power will be the same but the current will be 3/4. Packs this size as relatively cheap so you could start with 3S set it up as you want then move to 4S
David H is offline Find More Posts by David H
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:20 AM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davy View Post
Here are some pics of the my completed Orion. This thing should really thermal and still have some Mojo for downlines! I am ready to Maiden it.

Lenny's work is great!

Phil
Phil,

Off topic but I must ask ...

Where can I buy that tripod use are using to hold the plane?

Louis
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,037 Posts
Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post
Phil,

Off topic but I must ask ...

Where can I buy that tripod use are using to hold the plane?

Louis
It is a bike stand from www.topeak.com
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:07 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
549 Posts
Pilots report? I've got mine in hand minus gear.
glasairIII is offline Find More Posts by glasairIII
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:30 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,037 Posts
Orion flight report

I have flown the Orion a few times now and I really like it. The power setup is fantastic and it launches strait up out of my hand and has unlimited vertical performance. I have been flying on a slope so far and it stays up in light wind. No thermals around here right now but that is the reason I got it. It likes to fly around suprisingly fast and makes a cool sound on speed runs. I am running my CG at 95mm although it could be moved back and may thermal even better. I am going to leave it at 95mm because I don't want to add weight to the tail and it fly's fine as is. I took out the lead that Lenny put in the front. I flew it three times the other day on the same LiPo (about 15x3-5 second climbs) and when I recharged the LiPo it only took 1075MaH out of my 2250MaH pack. In 5 seconds the plane will be nearly out of sight. I switched to an Aero-Naut 14x12 prop. The RFM 15x13 really does not increase the performance enough to justify the extra amp draw for me. All in all it is a very user friendly model and will be great for travel too. I have owned upwards of 50 electric Sailplanes and the Orion did not dissapoint me.

I highly recommend The Orion!

Phil
Last edited by Phil Davy; Mar 02, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:41 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
549 Posts

Gear install has begun
glasairIII is offline Find More Posts by glasairIII