HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:39 PM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
405 Posts
Hitman,

Excellent response. Sounds like you went first cabin... probably everything SUSA recommended I would guess, but would like to know.

Just two things to start. I am running that motor/gearbox on a 13x9 narrow blade carbon RFM prop and it is (in my view) right at the limit... 410 watts. The motor specs at 400 watts for burst use, i.e., <20 seconds. If SUSA recommended the prop, try it for sure.

Second, I fly the Orion with the DX8 tranny but not the receiver as the Orion has a fair amount of carbon in the fuselage. The DX8 receiver is not for use in a carbon fuselage so I use the AR9310 9-channel receiver. It has a nice shape for glider use and can use telemetry. Not inexpensive but works well.

I can suggest wiring diagrams and would hope others will chime in. Need a little time however.

Dick
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:06 PM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
405 Posts
Wiring Diagram

Hitman,

Attached is a simple wiring diagram. You will need a charging plug for the Rx battery. You may plug the Rx battery from the switch into any channel. You will need a "balance charger" for the motor battery (important). You may want to go a bit bigger than the 3.5mm bullet plugs but that's what I use.

If you want proportional throttle control the ESC will plug into the THRO channel. Many of us prefer to have flaps on that channel and use a switch for power. I use a 3-position switch, F Mode, to get ON / HALF / FULL power. I launch on half power. "Half" power is programable.

How and where all the servos plug in is entirely subject to transmitter programming but the usual ELEV / RUD holds true. I have a program for the DX8 that could be shared for starters if you go that way.

I sent you a PM...

Dick
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:06 AM
United States, TX, Azle
Joined Feb 2013
93 Posts
Dick,

Thanks...that answered one question I had. I set down last night and put to paper a rough wiring diagram and things might actually be making sense. I would imagine the wires from the receiver plugs for F and A are wired into the back of the female side of the deans plug matching their opposing servo connections........right?
hitman5363 is offline Find More Posts by hitman5363
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:04 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,456 Posts
for those of you that fly this baby on 4s what kinda battery do you use?
thanks
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:05 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman5363 View Post
Dick,

Thanks...that answered one question I had. I set down last night and put to paper a rough wiring diagram and things might actually be making sense. I would imagine the wires from the receiver plugs for F and A are wired into the back of the female side of the deans plug matching their opposing servo connections........right?
Plug, and play...

http://www.soaringusa.com/RC-Harness...-2pc-wing.html

http://www.soaringusa.com/product.ph...&cat=51&page=1

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:15 AM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
thanks
Ben
A Hyperion 35C 4S-2200 is a nice fit. About 33mm x 33mm.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:28 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,768 Posts
Quote:
thanks
Ben
Max Amps. Check them out. High C rating and as small as possible.

I use them in my F5D planes. I plan on getting a 4s 2200 for the ORion
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:15 AM
United States, TX, Azle
Joined Feb 2013
93 Posts
Thank you Bob,
Hopefully that is what Gary has included in my stuff.....yet I know he sent the small Chip Switch.
Charles
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:00 PM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Bob,
Hopefully that is what Gary has included in my stuff.....yet I know he sent the small Chip Switch.
Charles
What Bob said http://www.soaringusa.com/RC-Harness...-2pc-wing.html is a good solution, commonly used. It simply uses a common power supply to the aileron and flap servos outboard of the plug... and individual signal wires to each servo.

I admit to using individual extensions (JR Sport), thus 6 wires in the wing versus 4 wires with the harness and 4 plugs versus 2 plugs to mess with. It has been noted that extension plugs have a "duty cycle" for plugging in and out. I keep an eye on that.

There are blogs on how to make a harness but what is your time worth? (LOL)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:03 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,456 Posts
thanks Lenny & john.
Ben
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:47 AM
United States, TX, Azle
Joined Feb 2013
93 Posts
Rofly,

Got the Orion last Friday from SUSA....I was really impressed as to how well they packed it. Truly a first class job! I noticed there are no holes in wings to screw them to fuse. However, the CF joiner fits very nicely with no play and you have to slide it straight in and out of wings or it does not come out. So, am I to believe you just slide the wings together and that's it or once in place do you add tape or what? Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:11 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Tape them on with electrical tape.

Its not to hold the wings on its to stop other poeple telling you to tape them on!
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:24 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,456 Posts
got the 16x10 rfm's today waiting on 4s 2200's to come in...

need to find out where the ESC need to go by the motor or farther back in fuse? if you fly 1110 with cc100 please post a pic of under the hood.
Ben
Last edited by FASTBEN; Feb 19, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:31 AM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Rofly,

Got the Orion last Friday from SUSA....I was really impressed as to how well they packed it. Truly a first class job! I noticed there are no holes in wings to screw them to fuse. However, the CF joiner fits very nicely with no play and you have to slide it straight in and out of wings or it does not come out. So, am I to believe you just slide the wings together and that's it or once in place do you add tape or what? Thanks
I've always enjoyed Graham's humor... but true. I use 3M plastic tape, comes in colors, and is actually reusable. I only use two strips, about 2" long at the leading and trailing edges of the wing. After flying just stick the tape lightly to the fuselage for use next time. Good for 3 or 4 cycles.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:00 AM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
got the 16x10 rfm's today waiting on 4s 2200's to come in...

need to find out where the ESC need to go by the motor or farther back in fuse? if you fly 1110 with cc100 please post a pic of under the hood.
Ben
Beyond "how" to stuff all that stuff in the bird I suggest you consider "where" based on the desired CG. I put the bird together and then hang ALL of the equipment from the fuselage with masking tape. Consider space required plus location forward and aft, move the stuff around until the CG is about right (say about 104mm, or so), then figure out the wiring and attachment requirements.

With a 2200mAh 4S battery many folks are ending up with a CG at 96mm or so. The bird will fly okay with this CG but she comes alive with the CG a bit more aft. Some have added an ounce or more to the fin post to achieve a CG around 104mm to 108mm. To me, that should be unnecessary if well planned.