HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,554 Posts
That is a great way to do the linkage but hard way to adjust.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2004
28 Posts
Aileron / Flap Wire Linkage

Actually not that hard at all. I turn the radio on and command the servo to the desired position. Tape the TE in place, and use a small wattage pencil iron with low temp (leaded) solder. Be sure to polish the wire with fine sand paper and pre-tin. It's actually more precise than turning a clevis because you can make finer adjustments than 1/2 turn. Also, I find that once it's done I never need to touch it again.
SteveJF is offline Find More Posts by SteveJF
Last edited by SteveJF; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added photos.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:25 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,554 Posts
i am working on my orion will try it.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, NY, Hopewell Junction
Joined Sep 2004
150 Posts
To Rofly and anyone else who used MKS 6100s in the wing - in trial fitting the 6100s, I found that flaps are OK and can use a frame to hold the servos. On ailerons however, the wing is so thin that to get the servo to clear the cover, it must be slid all the way under the surface of the wing up to the spar. My question is - did anyone come up with a way to position the servo where it needs to go and still make it easily removed for service? Can't see how a frame would fit and it sure seems that a glue job here would be permanent!
rcglider is online now Find More Posts by rcglider
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Nov 2004
28 Posts
I wrapped the HS-125MG servo in clear heat shrink and used laminating resin to glue it to the spar and the skin. To remove the servo just cut the heat shrink and peel off the plastic. The layer of epoxy is so thin that you don't even need to remove it before reinstalling.

I can also remove the servo horn without removing the servo itself. I replace the phillips head screw with a 2.3M x 6 button cap screw that has a hex head (Microfasteners) . On some wings you can use a ball driver to remove / install it, but on this one I used a shortened allen key. It's a bit tedious but you can leave the servo in place.
SteveJF is offline Find More Posts by SteveJF
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:46 PM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
406 Posts
MKS6100 Aileron Servo Installation

rcglider,

I used bits and pieces of plywood glued with CA to the wing skin and spar, leaving servo mounting tabs in place, which locked servo in place. The servo is held down with 1/16" plywood secured with two very short wood screws. The servo mounting tabs were slotted to accept the 1/16" plywood.

The servo was covered with plastic kitchen wrap while tacking the bits of wood in place using thick CA. Remove the servo and then flood with thin CA.

I admit to enjoying the design of strange solutions and micro-modeling... but it works and allows the easy removal of servos for servicing, recently done BTW.

Hope the picture helps a bit.

Dick
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Sep 2004
150 Posts
Now that is ingenious! Looks like it should work fine.

Thanks Dick.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
406 Posts
Orion Flap Servo Installation

rcglider,

I should have mentioned that the flap servo installation was quite different as the dynamic force on the flap can far exceed that of the aileron. And... as you found... there is more space for working the installation.

I strapped the servo down to, again, bits and pieces of plywood. The bulk of servo retention is based on blocks of wood in shear, CA'd to the wing skin. Shear is a good thing with CA. The strap screws are in tension, not a good thing, but have worked thus far.

Picture again may be useful.

Soar,

Dick
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Sep 2004
150 Posts
Thanks again Dick. I bought the MKS frames to use for the flaps and these should hold the servos in place just fine. I will have to strap them somehow but will need to see how I want to go about this when I get to doing the install.

Joe
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:44 PM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
406 Posts
Duh...

Joe,

Yeah, I knew about the frames. Sorry. It must be senility on my part!

Good luck with the build. She is a nice bird.

Dick
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:09 PM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Hi all, not being into gearboxes much I wonder if any one has experience of using MVVS motors in the Orion ?
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:53 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,788 Posts
I was thinking of setting one up with the Redline on 4S with a 13x7

http://www.espritmodel.com/mvvs-46-5...ess-motor.aspx

I never bought an Orion, but I think that would be a pretty cool setup.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:31 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
Hi all, not being into gearboxes much I wonder if any one has experience of using MVVS motors in the Orion ?
Yes, I installed an MVVS 25-3.5/960 in one that I built for someone. Made for a nice 300W setup. I slightly higher KV could be use for a stronger climb.
These won't have the power/weight efficiency of a good geared inrunner, but they fit OK and are a reasonable choice for a budget power system.

Just my .02,
Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Last edited by Lenny970; Jan 25, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:33 AM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970 View Post
Yes, I installed an MVVS 3.5/960 in one that I built for someone. Made for a nice 300W setup. I slightly higher KV could be use for a stronger climb.
These won't have the power/weight efficiency of a good geared inrunner, but they fit OK and are a reasonable choice for a budget power system.

Just my .02,
Lenny
Thanks Lenny,Do you recall what prop and esc you used?
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:08 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,788 Posts
That Redliner is good for a 1000 watts. I have a buddy flying one in a Hotliner, he is pulling 1400 watts for 3 second pulls.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123