HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I got a little over 3/4 flaps
How much down elevator are you guys mixing with flaps?
Tahnks!!!!
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 08:45 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug913 View Post
I manage to do thesame thing Graham, but not quiet as bad. About 6 in behind the wing and only on 1/2 of the fuse (1side).

Where does 1 fine Kevlar or is light glass ok? You just gluing it down w ca or epoxy?

Thanks
Not sure where you are Doug but try;
http://www.cstsales.com/
The idea of using carbon tows is to give in line strength, the light glass is just to give some stiffness. Harden all the broken area with ca whilst making sure its straight then wet tows in Finishing epoxy(very thin) then wrap with very light glass, wet this out with more finishing epoxy. Then use paper towels to remove as much epoxy as possible and use electrical tape to wrap it all tight. Leave somewhere warm for 24 hrs, remove tape and jobs done. Finish and paint if required!
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old May 11, 2012, 09:36 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Maiden Report: three words: It's a KEEPER!!!!
Old May 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
ok, now give the longer version! : )
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old May 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
LONGER VERSION
T h i s p l a n e i s a k e e p e r (yes, this is longer)

OK
With a 100 mm CG this is a real floater, a tad tail heavy for my taste, so I will move the CG to 94-95 mm b/c I like ti to be moving a little faster ... as I said, just my taste.
Stall, what stall? the stall is the mildest pseudo-stall I have ever seen in a glider, no matter what it will not drop a wing, we tried, and tried, and the plane did recover in like 3 inches time after time.
Flaps: I got only about 70 degrees down flaps, and that is more than enough, those humongous flaps will stop the glider flat on its tracks, and with little practice, you can come down at a very dramatic angle and land at your feet or try killing the red and that wants to climb and bite your foot ...

More details as I get more flights .
Old May 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,497 Posts
post pictures...
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old May 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Sorry, my personal photographer (my wife) was not with me at the uber-exciting moment of maidening the plane, but I will take pics of next flight ...
Old May 16, 2012, 12:51 PM
Still a mile high when I land
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Bored to death

Well guys a week after my Orion found some high tension power lines, I got "tackled" on my Harley buy a girl that crossed the center line on a switchback in the mountains west of here. The bike isn't all that bad, but I wound up with a busted leg, brused shoulder and arm and a fat lip and a broken tooth. I'm getting to use my arm again, and now I'm bored to death. I was so upset I sent the Orion I was going to build back. Now I don't have anything to do. Questions: Does SUSA have the patience to send the plane back to me again? 2: Should I buy the new Orion even though I'm going to be out of work of 12 weeks? 3: Can I build an Orion luped up on pain killers?
MonsterBFC is offline Find More Posts by MonsterBFC
Old May 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that...sounds like no fun! Gave up riding bikes because of road hazards, i.e. bad drivers! Answers...

1. Probably
2. This one you have to answer yourself...if it were me, it would be yes.
3. You managed to type your post so it sounds like you're healed up enough!

Good luck on the recovery!
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old May 16, 2012, 03:05 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
You managed to type your post so it sounds like you're healed up enough!
I managed to build mine while cursing like a mad man and with my fingertips ca'd together, you will be fine
Old May 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,497 Posts
Buy it (again) and build it. We have had a week of rain here, I ended up getting bored, so ordered a foamy from HH.

Should have ordered an Orion. I have a Neu 1110/1Y/6.7 and Ice Lite 100 just sitting here.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old May 17, 2012, 09:21 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Neu 1110/1Y/6.7 and Ice Lite 100 just sitting here.
I can inherit them if you are not building another Orion would be a shame to have those just "sitting there" too long ...
Old May 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
Still a mile high when I land
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Here we go again!

I got the great folks at SoaringUSA.com to send my Orion back to me! (and you thought you were getting the orange/ white one didn't you?) Well, I'm making some changes on this one. I'm going with the NEU 1110/1Y/6.7 and a CC 100. Before she gets here next week I have a question: Will I need to space the motor back into the fuse from the mount with some plywood? If so, what size? Is the plywood just to move the motor back so it will fit in the taper of the fuse?, or is there another reason? This part I don't quite understand.
MonsterBFC is offline Find More Posts by MonsterBFC
Last edited by MonsterBFC; May 19, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBFC View Post
I got the great folks at SoaringUSA.com to send my Orion back to me! (and you thought you were getting the orange/ white one didn't you?) Well, I'm making some changes on this one. I'm going with the NEU 1110/1Y/6.7 and a CC 100. Before she gets here next week I have a question: Will I need to space the motor back into the fuse from the mount with some plywood? If so, what size? Is the plywood just to move the motor back so it will fit in the taper of the fuse?, or is there another reason? This part I don't quite understand.
Great! You won't be sorry.

I usually make my own motor mount from 3/16" ply laminated with glass cloth.
It sets the motor back enough that the bearing housing doesn't interfere with the spinner, and provides a much larger surface for glueing to the fuselage.

If you don't want to bother making your own, the aluminum motor mounts usually used for the Enigma will fit the Orion also.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old May 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
115 Posts
I keep knocking the motor mount loose on mine. Part of thinks this isn't so bad since I'm not breaking the fuse. Maybe a little thicker mount wouldnt be so bad though. Aluminum mount might not be the greatest if you dont have that silky smooth landing grass.
Doug913 is offline Find More Posts by Doug913