HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
very small footprint for traveling. goes together in about 3 min. on 3s it thermals nice, and 4s it really takes off. i use a 3s2200 and a 4s2200. Lenny said the CG is around 108mm. Build it with as much equipment as far back as you can as it can be nose heavy depending on the motor/ esc. My 850ma RX pack is all the way back in the tail.....
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:32 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have an MVVS motor for it, it is on the "heavier" side, but I know it will launch it like a missile ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Apr 2007
147 Posts
Hi,
Thinking about gettig an Orion too. I have a servosetup lying around and wonder if it's suited.
I want to use Hitec HS 125MG on wings and HS85MG on elevator and rudder.
Will this work? Does the wingservo will fit the spacings.(it's 10mm). Are the HS85 to much of the good thing and size/weight not an good option?

Regards
Ruud
Ruud_NL is offline Find More Posts by Ruud_NL
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:52 PM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
406 Posts
All good servos

Rudd,

I guess nobody else has an opinion. The 125s in the wing are good at 10mm thick... if a bit heavy, but no worry. The 85s in the fuse are just fine though I run just a 65 on the rudder.

You are good to go and will love the airplane. Its quality is superior.

Regards,

Dick
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2007
147 Posts
Hi Dick,

Thanks for your response! It will be an Orion :-) I might change the 85's for 82's. Have also a pair of MG of those lying around.

Regards
Ruud
Ruud_NL is offline Find More Posts by Ruud_NL
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
406 Posts
Ruud,

I have used 82s. They are just fine as well, including on the horizontal stab.

Now, if I just spelled your name correctly all would be well. Sorry.

Dick
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I have 65's on the tail ... (ready to be installed when the plane comes)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
Still a mile high when I land
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Crunch!

I got chased off my soccer field, off the sledding hill, and found a small field. It’s a tight spot with wind over the top of a small bowl, but quite small. I was showing off rolls, loops, inverted fast dives and screaming fly-bys to my son and some people that gathered. Trees to my west, fence to the east, and two rows of power lines to my south and I thought I was clear, but I was in-between the two. Powered up for a hard climb and turn back and slammed them, and hard. Snapped the fuse in half and nearly sheared off the left wing. I was going quite fast. It’s a total loss from such extensive damage. I salvaged all the parts but the spinner. The reason I'm sharing this is that I loved this plane so much; I'm buying another just like it. The Orion is by leaps and bounds the most versatile, agile, and smoothest joy of an airplane I have ever had the privilege to fly. Without the slightest hesitation, I'm doing it again. I'll miss my first Orion, but the second will be even better since I learned so much building #1, the build quality will be even better on #2. RIP Orion ONE. I'll miss you. It's been more than great. It's an epic plane.
Glenn
MonsterBFC is offline Find More Posts by MonsterBFC
Last edited by MonsterBFC; Apr 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
More Crunch

Felt guilty reading Glens story so here it is;
Having been fiddling about with my radio settings I found I had a shortage of aileron and rudder control when the crow brake was used. Flying on a gusty day I came in to land and six feet up got tossed onto a wingtip and cartwheeled onto the concrete which surrounds our patch. Ouch
Damage was fuselage broken in two spots and a crease in one wingtip. The wingtip is minor but may be a future weakspot. The fueselage was broken in two midway between the wing and tail and half broken near the canopy. The front break was fixed with kevlar cloth carbon tows and fine glass on the inside. The rear break with ca to rejoin then tows and v light glass, total weight about 2.5g, so nothing really. The extra weight at the front means less lead in nose (light motor set up).
The only thing that I would not advise to do, apart from flying like an a would be to avoid hotgluing your Orion to a plank of wood. The idea was that it would hold it all straight whilst it was repaired which worked like a dream but did it want to come off? No, not a bit of it. Some time later, in fact much time later its all ok but next time I will remember to wrap the fus in tape BEFORE gluing to the plank.
Total AUW now 1450g or 51oz
The good news is that the Orion flys as well as ever, even managed 3rd place at the first E soaring(UK ALES) comp of the year against lots of fancy 3.7m exotica
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old May 08, 2012, 11:42 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
BIG question:

- Are the wings held JUST BY pressure?

All my other high performance planes/gliders have the wings held by beefy screws to the fuses ...

EDIT: Pete told me the trick, thanks!!!!
Last edited by nicoyenny; May 08, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
115 Posts
I manage to do thesame thing Graham, but not quiet as bad. About 6 in behind the wing and only on 1/2 of the fuse (1side).

Where does 1 fine Kevlar or is light glass ok? You just gluing it down w ca or epoxy?

Thanks
Doug913 is offline Find More Posts by Doug913
Old May 09, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Electrical tape is quite strong for holding those wings together......
Old May 09, 2012, 10:32 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Electrical tape is quite strong for holding those wings together.....
That's the same suggestion Pete told me, after all it is an ELECTRIC glider ...ok ...bad joke, but it is almost ready, setting up the servo travel and trying to get the most of the flaps is pita.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Don't worry if you can't get the full throw......the flaps at 3/4 grind the plane to a halt. If you add crow you can literally stop it cold. I have a 14 pound thermik xxxl as well and it has 4 flaps and still doesn't stop as well as the Orion. Love the simple 2 wing design as you can get it together in a couple of min. I am set up for 4s 2200 for some thrills but usually fly 3s 2200 for thermaling. You do need to be careful as the winglets are flared up and sharp as a knife. Very easy to snap a tip off. Make some good wing bags out of the silver bubble wrap from lowes. Have them on 5 planes now.....
Old May 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,420 Posts
Monster BFC, Graham 65
sorry to hear about your crunched Orions...Sounds like it is a great sailplane, if Glenn will go out and buy another..
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot