Link for setup ideas...
http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/xplolerer_mini_01.html
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:07 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Scott thanks for posting the link, It good to see how someone else is doing this. Regarding the motor, it is a tight fit for a 35mm outrunner there is not much room for the wires to get past the spinning motor. I have glassed in a length of thin wire to keep the motor wires away for the motor, in the link to the other build I see a fairing has been added and wires taken out of the fuz. This is not an issue if an inrunner or even outrunner with gb were used. Good luck with that decision.
The rudder gives plenty of movement with this set up, about 32mm each way, 64mm total. Much more and you will hit the elevator. The front of the rudder had to be relieved to avoid popping off the ball link on full right rudder. There is a piece of spruce added behind the surface to mount the ball link in.
The fin post also had to be slimmed to increase movement.
The aileron servos are Vigor VS-12M, not sure whether or not these are good enough, there is some movement in the gears. If they effect flying qualities they will be ripped out.
The other 4 servos are all Turnigy TGY-90s, they seem fine for the other jobs.

Graham
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:44 PM
'Rainmaker'
Cheshire, UK
Joined Apr 2006
284 Posts
Hi,
Took a bit to figure out how to fit my cheap C3548, but settled on a back to front setup and glassed in a rear bulkhead before chopping off the shaft and making a special adaptor for a folding collet spinner to clamp onto. Hope the photos explain, now sourcing an sbec so the servos and Rx under the wing have enough room.
Plane is a Luna2(Makis?) sloper that I got an E-fuse for and this balances the same as my sloper fuse with the gear in this position, so should be good to go.

Cheers
Rob
rob-sten is offline Find More Posts by rob-sten
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
2.4ghz antennas

Rob,

Thats very neat, lots of options with motors and how to mount them.

So, a question about the rx antennas, there is not a lot of carbon in the Orion fus, do the antennas need to be outside the fus or would they be ok inside this one?
The carbon is tows running down toward the tail.

Any thoughts?

Graham
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:07 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Motor Run

Ran up the motor to check the power input.
The motor is a Turnigy SK3542 1000kv outrunner.
Prop 12x8 Aeronaut
Battery Turnigy 2200 3s 40c
The battery was warmed up in the house before use to avoid problems with cold lipos.
Results around 135w/lb.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
'Rainmaker'
Cheshire, UK
Joined Apr 2006
284 Posts
I've not had a single problem in the last year or two of using whiskers on full carbon fuses (Jart, Rodent, Rotor, etc.) so the little amount of carbon tow in the Luna wig seat area doesn't worry me. Will of course fully range check etc.

I've even double heatshrinked my whiskers.

I'll need at least a 7 ch rx on this one to get full camber and crow etc and the pics show smaller rx's just for setting up.

c3548 gave 600W on 4S with a 12*6 CAM so will be testing a few props. Should be adequate?
rob-sten is offline Find More Posts by rob-sten
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the additional pics! I had a few minutes tonight to take a closer look at my Orion. Still trying to decide on servos. Also trying to decide on where the servos should be mounted in the fuselage and how to do the tray. I plan to start with an overpowered setup since I will use what I have on hand so will need weight towards the rear, I suspect. Then plan to go smaller/lighter on the power when funds permit...sounds kind of backwards but that's my plan for the moment.
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Last edited by ScotY; Jan 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:30 AM
London
Joined Dec 2003
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham 65 View Post

So, a question about the rx antennas, there is not a lot of carbon in the Orion fus, do the antennas need to be outside the fus or would they be ok inside this one?
Graham
I don't think it is worth taking the chance of signal loss by leaving the antennas inside the fus.
If you are going to be flying the model in Height Limit thermal comps, almost certainly at some time the model is going to be far away and low down as you search/scratch to make your time and get back to land.
In these circumstances signall can easilly be lost because your antenna could be blanked by the lipo or even the servos but more probably by the carbon in the wings.
No idea about the radio you are using, but I guess it must work the same as others so you only need the 31mm 'whiskers' out side the fus. If your rx is aft of the wing and the tail servos then your antennas will be away from most of the carbon etc.
Thats how I have done my install in the Orion and my Xplorer.

byw, has your radio system got failsafe?

Pete
Mitch-air is offline Find More Posts by Mitch-air
Last edited by Mitch-air; Jan 13, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:57 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Scott,

There is some play in the elevator on mine too, not too much but would like less, the wings by comparison are a pretty tight fit. Any ideas welcomed.

Pete,

I'll go with your thinking, sounds wise to stick the antennas out, better safe than sorry. I have some 400mm antennas so can put the rx wherever it needs to go for the sake of the cog or tidyness.
Regarding HL comps I managed 2 last year so hope to improve on that this year! Mostly I just enjoy trying to catch thermals

Yes the Frsky rx has full failsafe, how do you have yours set?

Graham
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:05 PM
London
Joined Dec 2003
101 Posts
One fix to improve the fit of the carbon tailplane joiner rod. Try a careful application of thin cyano on the rod. Wait until it has gone really hard and then try the fit. If it's still loose give it another cyano hit. Again wait until its really hard to try the fit. If you go too far and the rod becomes over size, rub it down with very fine abrasive 'wet & dry paper' or a rubbing down paint cutting compound like 'T Cut'.

I set my fail-safe for 60% full Crow but with UP elevator, and motor off.
This shows in the air, if you do get a signal loss, as a sudden pitch up.
If you do have a real 'fail-safe' situation this setup takes all the airspeed out of the model, the pitch up gradually decays to a series of slow gentle stalls, and by the time the model arrives on the ground it is less likely to be flying fast enough to cause damage to what ever it arrives on.
Worked on 2 occasions for me when I flew on 35mhz.

Pete
Mitch-air is offline Find More Posts by Mitch-air
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:27 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Thanks Pete that sounds like a good plan.

So spent 2 hours this evening and had drilled two holes in the fus for the antenna wires, good thing the summer is a long way off

Had to sort out where the rx would go then label the servo wires before pulling them out, then plugging it all back together the right way round. The rx is in front of the servos at the moment.

The rx now has 400mm antennas so can reach well back behind the wing to exit.

Graham
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,419 Posts
Here are some pictures of the Futaba 2.4 antenna wires exiting the fuse, of my Typhoon E. I wanted the whiskers as far behind the carbon wing as possible.
Antenna guides help keep antenna whiskers at optimum 90 degree angle. Notice they droop below the fuse, too.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:59 AM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
I can't find the Orion listed on any US vendor websites. Where can someone in the US buy this if interested?

Thanks!

Louis
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:01 AM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Graham,

We have these in stock now too here in the US.
I hope to get mine built soon too!
Very nice toy...

Best,
Bob
I cannot find this on your website.

Louis
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:02 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
234 Posts
From the SoaringUSA website;

Looking for something?

Looking for something you can't find? We have new items coming in daily, and our website updates are still backlogged.. Give us a call, we probably have it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spekd'out is offline Find More Posts by Spekd'out