SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
435 Posts
Lenny,

Good job! With the fuselage laying flat on the bench I just measured the same 77mm to the stab TE from the bench. That is in the trimmed position with the 105mm CG as I fly it.

Thanks!

Dick
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:12 AM
Still a mile high when I land
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Yep, yep. That's it. Could be that something was lost in the translation. I have 78mm. flat at zero with the wing. Would you guys believe I soldered the clevis coupler, then put everything on the elevator servo and it came up a perfect zero? First try, no trim. What are the odds of that happening again? Thanks everyone for helping me check my work. Nothing wrong with double-double-checking
MonsterBFC is offline Find More Posts by MonsterBFC
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970 View Post
Doug,

I use a music wire retainer for the servo hatch and Goop for the servo covers on the wing.
Tape would be easier and would work fine, but I prefer a cleaner look.

Lenny
Lenny,

I've never heard of anyone gluing the servo covers down with Goop. I would like to try this. How do you remove them without damaging them if you need to get to the servo?

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Jan 18, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:47 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
Lenny,

I've never heard of anyone gluing the servo covers down with Goop. I would like to try this. How do you remove them without damaging them if you need to get to the servo?

Steve
If it's a flat servo cover (like one for top driven flaps), I sparingly spread the Goop all around the perimeter of the servo cover except for a small section left clear.
To remove the cover later, a small flat blade screwdriver can be inserted into the unglued area and easily worked around the perimeter of the cover to break the bond.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Mar 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
If it's a flat servo cover (like one for top driven flaps), I sparingly spread the Goop all around the perimeter of the servo cover except for a small section left clear.
To remove the cover later, a small flat blade screwdriver can be inserted into the unglued area and easily worked around the perimeter of the cover to break the bond.

Lenny
thanks Lenny, that is great info I can apply to several other sailplanes I have. I've never liked taping the servo covers down.

one more question. the 39mm 1506 motor doesnt look like it will fit thru the hatch opening very easily. Did you have to cut away some of the hatch lip in order to slide the motor in?

Steve
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:08 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
one more question. the 39mm 1506 motor doesnt look like it will fit thru the hatch opening very easily. Did you have to cut away some of the hatch lip in order to slide the motor in?

Steve
No, it will squeeze through the opening. No cutting required.

Lenny
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:06 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,889 Posts
What a sweet model!

I got a bit more time to adjust settings today on the Orion and it just keeps getting better! I have my CG at 108mm now, which is still slightly postiive (will gradually pull up from a dive test).
About 3mm of camber used for slow thermal flight (the published 5mm figure is too much IMO) and she just hangs around in the slightest hint of lift.
My reflex setting is only about 1-2mm, which speeds the model up nicely while not giving up much glide slope.

Seems like NAN really did their homework with this model.
It's not often that a 2.5M model approaches the performance and efficiency of a larger moldie like this.
Thanks for bringing them in Bob!

BTW, I normally store and transport my sailplanes in model bags. They're not cheap, but they last forever and keep the models in good shape.
I did some searching for a bag to fit the Orion, but most were too big.
I settled on a 56" bag from http://www.hobby-pak.com/indexmain.htm. It's not quite as refined as the dedicated F3X bags that our favorite vendors carry, but it works quite well and the price is right.

Lenny
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
your killing me Lenny!!! Now I have to move the CG back another 4mm! lol

Great find on the bag...

-D
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
Still a mile high when I land
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Bag

I found this bag. More money, but it has a spot for the fuse, and they'll put back straps on it for you if you intend to backpack it like I am. This one is more for me since I'll be taking mine up into the Roosevelt National Forest on BLM land with my dirt bike. http://www.acewingcarrier.com/glider...-carriers.html
MonsterBFC is offline Find More Posts by MonsterBFC
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Lenny, which bag for the thermik XXXL ?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:07 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBFC View Post
I found this bag. More money, but it has a spot for the fuse, and they'll put back straps on it for you if you intend to backpack it like I am. This one is more for me since I'll be taking mine up into the Roosevelt National Forest on BLM land with my dirt bike. http://www.acewingcarrier.com/glider...-carriers.html
They look like nice bags too, and pretty reasonably priced.
Too bad they used some hokey PVC tubing as a mock-up in their pics instead of real models. I think it really distracts from their products.

I'm not really a fan of the "fuselage pocket" on the outside -- I prefer to have all the parts within the bag.
I don't use them for backpacking though, so that setup might work great for you.

Maybe Bob will have his bag supplier come up with a first rate bag perfectly sized to the Orion and other 2.5M models.

Lenny
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2011
115 Posts
Lenny, will the fuse fit w wings inside that bag? No worries on breaking wing tips?

Doug
Doug913 is offline Find More Posts by Doug913
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:19 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Lenny, which bag for the thermik XXXL ?
I think you'd need the 80" bag http://www.soaringusa.com/product.ph...&cat=46&page=1 I have one of these and they are very well made.

The wing panels and stabs would fit great. The fin would extend out of the bag though as it's too tall.

Lenny
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug913 View Post
Lenny, will the fuse fit w wings inside that bag? No worries on breaking wing tips?

Doug
Yes, everything fits inside and is well protected. I had first bought this bag a while ago for a different model. I don't remember now what kind of separators came in the bag, but I know there was some velcro straps that I removed.
If it doesn't come with them, you do need something to separate the wing panels and fuse. I used some foam sheet, like a camping mat. You could even use bubblewrap or an old towel.

Lenny
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
I got a bit more time to adjust settings today on the Orion and it just keeps getting better! I have my CG at 108mm now, which is still slightly postiive (will gradually pull up from a dive test).
Lenny
Lenny,

I prefer flying just slightly positive as well. How much wieght is now in the fin post to get the CG back to 108mm and is it tip stally at all?. Is the all up wieght still low 60 ounce range?

Steve