HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:38 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
bullets

Mine were soldered directly. Im getting about 126 watts on 4s. 3mm istoo small IMO. Id go at least 5mm. I usually go with the 5.5 EC5 plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spain View Post
Thanks guys - the Orion instructions say 106-108mm which may be the "explorer C of G" suspect the root cord of the centre panel of explorers is wider.

Will go close to 95mm as recomended

my build almost there the flaps and aileron servos and rods took ages to set up well

with these large current draws on geared neu motors with 3/4S and big props or similar do we need to use bigger than usual bullet connectors -- I,ve read some comment may need up to 6mm. Most of mine 3mm will that be okay or am I asking for trouble?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:39 AM
Australia, WA, Kinross
Joined Aug 2007
376 Posts
Hi guys, just brought an Orion and now looking at my options for a motor. I've been looking at the the Kontronik Kira-480-31 5.2:1 How would this go as an alternative to the Neu 1110-1y-6.7 that a lot of people in this thread have been using?

Mike
mikeyg1972 is offline Find More Posts by mikeyg1972
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
have the neu 1506 2.5d 6.7 great motor on a 4s 2200
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jul 2005
192 Posts
I ordered an Orange Orion this week.
Will be a while before it gets here, as its coming sea freight.

Im going to use a Hacker A40 with gearbox, and am thinking of using the L series instead of S.
200w more power, with about 25g weight gain.
Not sure on KV yet, as I have not decided wether I want 3s or 4s.
Im leaning to 4 for efficiency.

Opions?
gorn is offline Find More Posts by gorn
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,130 Posts
I`m using a ARC 28-48-1 on a kontronik 5.2:1 gearbox driving a 14x12 RFM on 5 degree twisted yoke by a 3s 45C Hyperion 2600mah pack. Esc is ICE lite 100A. Goes like stink, and after one hour of soaring I still usually have about 3-400mah left. The battery just fit.
SpeedMaster is offline Find More Posts by SpeedMaster
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:47 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Orions

Howdy,
We just got bunch of Orions in today. If you have had one one order, it will ship in the next few days.

IF you are looking for an Orion, give us a call, they will not last long. For the cost, I think these are the best value out there!

Best,
Bob
Bro is online now Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Best fun for the price......Well until I get the Enigma : ) This plane is quick on 3s 2200 and a 5-6 second climmb to 850-1000 feet on 4s2200! LOTS of versatile fun! Nice and easy to assemble and break down too. Went with the neu 1506 2.5 6.7 P125 esc and a 17x13 RFM. Plus a great build by Lenny : ) Thanks Bob!

-Dave
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:16 AM
Still a mile high when I land
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Orion on the truck!

My Orion should show up today. I plan to post a "from the start" build thread with as much detail as possible. It's my first high performace plane, so I'll be getting help on the build from pros. I hope my thread will help others take the leap easier and further our hobby. There's no shortage of slopes here in Colorado, but it may still be a bit chilly even after I'm done. The Orion will be my step just before a pure slope glider later next year. Many, many thanks to the great people at SoaringUSA .com
MonsterBFC is offline Find More Posts by MonsterBFC
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:50 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
550 Posts
I've been flying mine every chance I get. I have a dozen or so flights on her now. Still dialing in the c.g. Been moving it back slowly. Sitting at 105mm now. A bit more to go I believe.

This plane is a great all-rounder. Floats well when properly tuned. Makes a really nice warm liner as well. Nice axial rolls, and lots of energy to play with.

I haven't specked her out yet. Most thermals I have played with have been very weak. I'll find out soon though. But, she responds well in thermal mode. And is easy to make thermal turns with. No nasty snap/spin when you stall her. (like when you hold stupid amounts of up elevator) Drops a wing a smiggin, let off the elev a bit, and easy recovery.

Highly recommend!
glasairIII is offline Find More Posts by glasairIII
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:55 AM
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasairIII View Post
I've been flying mine every chance I get. I have a dozen or so flights on her now. Still dialing in the c.g. Been moving it back slowly. Sitting at 105mm now. A bit more to go I believe.

This plane is a great all-rounder. Floats well when properly tuned. Makes a really nice warm liner as well. Nice axial rolls, and lots of energy to play with.

I haven't specked her out yet. Most thermals I have played with have been very weak. I'll find out soon though. But, she responds well in thermal mode. And is easy to make thermal turns with. No nasty snap/spin when you stall her. (like when you hold stupid amounts of up elevator) Drops a wing a smiggin, let off the elev a bit, and easy recovery.

Highly recommend!
Would you elaborate a bit on your build? So far, my servos are Hyperion 09's for the ailerons, MKS 125's on the flaps and MKS 95's on the boom. Too bad, but I've been told the 125's won't fit in the aileron holes.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:31 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,130 Posts
Love mine! Easily the best plane for the money in this class!
SpeedMaster is offline Find More Posts by SpeedMaster
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:45 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Is anyone using aileron to flap mix with much success?
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:01 PM
Watch the Grass Grow
Hollis, New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2007
77 Posts
Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBFC View Post
My Orion should show up today. I plan to post a "from the start" build thread with as much detail as possible. It's my first high performace plane, so I'll be getting help on the build from pros. I hope my thread will help others take the leap easier and further our hobby. There's no shortage of slopes here in Colorado, but it may still be a bit chilly even after I'm done. The Orion will be my step just before a pure slope glider later next year. Many, many thanks to the great people at SoaringUSA .com
MonsterBFC,

Can't wait to read your build thread. I am going to purchase this glider in the Spring and it will be my first high end glider. Been watching all the DVD's from Radio Carbon Art.
The more info you supply the better. Good luck.

Thanks in advance,

Ron
rjhirsch is offline Find More Posts by rjhirsch
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhirsch View Post
MonsterBFC,

Can't wait to read your build thread. I am going to purchase this glider in the Spring and it will be my first high end glider. Been watching all the DVD's from Radio Carbon Art.
The more info you supply the better. Good luck.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Thank you for the wishes. I'm going to do this for the guys like you and me. I paid my dues with foamy's and balsa's, helicopters, 50 size powered planes and indoor micros. I figured out my real love is on the slope with my gliders. I broke my Pilot Mace (they don't sell them in the states)in half on my favorite nearby slope (in the air) and after I fixed it I figured out the plane has little penetration and flys like a board in a stiff breeze, so, time to move up. I bet there are lots of people like me that are a bit worried about drilling into a $600 wing even with good building skills, so I'm going to do what I wished someone else had. I'll include as much detail as I can with my build thread on my Orion, and hopefully give you that "oh..... I get it!" thought. Glenn

Pilot Mace 2.5 meter full-house
Last edited by MonsterBFC; Dec 04, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:50 PM
Watch the Grass Grow
Hollis, New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2007
77 Posts
High End

Glenn,

Ya, I have been back in the hobby since 2005. Built gliders as a tennager, stck and tissue with .049 power pods. My return to the hobby was the build of a "Die Crushed" kit from Tower Hobbies made by Top Flight called the Metric that I had in the closet since 1985. When I built it I twisted the fuse so it never flew right. Flew once and made it into a Hangar Queen. I fly all electric. Love the Radian and somewhat the Easy Glider Pro but tired of flying foamies. My real love is thermal duration flying. Agree with you, I am a bit nervous about the build. Want to keep it light and not interested in making it a warmliner.
Anyhow, again, good luck and thanks for sharing.

Ron
rjhirsch is offline Find More Posts by rjhirsch