Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:45 AM
Build ALL the models O_O!
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Discussion
First slope session, what a rush!!!!

Hi guys,

I've just got back from my first slope soaring session. It was so different to what I was expecting....

The spot was a ridge South of Llangynidr (pic attached) and when there is no snow and ice its a great spot. Very near the road and easy to find. However, there was snow and ice. Quite alot of snow and ice. It took all my driving skill to get there and even then I had to walk about a quarter of a mile up the snow covered road to where the car park normally is.

To be honest I just wanted to go for a drive and check out the site. I wasn't expecting to do any flying but I threw my WildThing 46 in the trunk anyway. As I was driving up the tracks I was noticing snow drifting over the fields, so there was a fair breeze up, about 20-30mph I reckon. XC weather had said the winf was NE but it was backing to NNE by the time I got there. I threw on my hat, gloves, two jackets, goggles and face wrap and trudged up toward the slope with the gilder tucked under my arm.

The wind got steadily faster the further up I went until I was on the top of the ridge and there was a good breeze. So I check everything and thought I'd toss the glider off the edge to se what would happen. I was honestly expecting a steep glide down the slope and a long walk to retrieve and then back to the car. I was so, so wrong. I gave her a mild toss and she leapt straight into the lift and shot outward!! I was a bit taken aback and it took me half a second to think "I should probabably do something now." I just did a single circuit and then went behind the ridge and landed her right next to me. Encouraged, I launched again. By this time I was getting a feel for how she responded to inputs. The WildThing is a triumph of soarer design, she is super responsive but not at all twitchy. So I started doing simple figure 8's turning into the wind at the end of each run. By this time it was all I could do to stop her skyrocketting - even with full down elevator trim! It all felt so natural, I was really expecting a fight to keep her airborne. Not so at all as it turned out. As I got more confident I started trying some high speed passes, and by my standards the velocities I was getting were simply eye watering (lucky I had my goggles on!) Now I see what people mean when they say she is as sporty as you want her to be! I even did one or two rolls, although they produced minor stalls but thats just my noob flying. Stalls are no big deal, she recovers very quickly and as long as she is in the lift she is happy as a clam.

I think I did about two 10 min flights but didn't want to keep her up too long at a time, as I started to feel like I was pushing my luck with the freshening wind and inbound snow clouds. So, pumped full of adrenaline I landed her for a final time and when she hit the snow she skidded along like a 747! Wonderful! After that I made my way back, very pleased with as good a maiden flight as you could ask for(with zero soaring and not a whole lot of flying experience.) I just didn't expect it to feel so natural at all. Having been a sailor since I was a kid I can totally see why they are called Sailplanes now! It reminded me alot of surfing, the speeds and movements felt very similar.

No pics as I was so tied up and by myself. I can't wait to go again and next time will be with a buddy who's an experienced soarer, so it should be even better!

I realy need to cool down now, I'm still so buzzed!
WLJayne is offline Find More Posts by WLJayne
Last edited by WLJayne; Nov 27, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,921 Posts
Great story! Congratulatons on your session. You will probably never forget this day (I can recall my first slope experience vividly). The negative side is, you do know that youv'e caught an incurable affliction that can be very damaging to your bank balance, don't you?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:33 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,163 Posts
Nice job on the plane and welcome to the slopes. Sounds like you're hooked real good.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Hook line and sinker I think ! The experienced was both exciting and nerve wracking, but the nerves will wear off with experience like everything else. But it was awesome, I'll try to take some pictures next time.

I think my bank balance will cope, on top of Airsoft, Wargames and powered RC flying, soaring will be a drop in the ocean !

Will.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:51 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLJayne View Post
Hook line and sinker I think !

I think my bank balance will cope, on top of Airsoft, Wargames and powered RC flying, soaring will be a drop in the ocean !

Will.
We shall see!!!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:58 AM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
What I should have said is "my already stretched bank balance can take the extra strain, maybe" but having been oggling mouldies for the future this looks increasingly unlikely!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:22 AM
Something MUST FLY!
OC, there is no "The OC"
Joined Jun 2004
1,070 Posts
Thanks for sharing the experience!

Great looking slope, but YEAH COLD WIND! NNE and NNW

I recall my first slope flight ... didn't know much and was concerned that there was "Too Much Wind"

Had a blast and sounds like you did for sure!

Best of luck with your newest addiction!
IMoonBark is offline Find More Posts by IMoonBark
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,482 Posts
Yeah, yer in trouble.

Winchdoc

How much money?
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:10 PM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Thanks guys. I already have two other sailplanes, a West Wings Orion and a Graupner Cirrus. The Orion needs to be built and the Cirrus is being re-covered. That should take care of most flying conditions I think . But I already have my eye on an aerobatic trainer in my local model shop, and I've been toying with the idea of building a 3m U-2 from the uncle willies plan. Yeh, I can see this getting expensive quite quickly....

I'll wait until the snow and ice has gone before I go back out. Can't wait!

EDIT: Whoa, my search for "uncle willie" sure opened a can of worms!! Not sure I trust it anymore. Can anyone point me in the direction of a known and relaible U-2 plan? There seems to be a few on ebay but I think they are rip offs.
Last edited by WLJayne; Nov 27, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:26 AM
Sore Sloper
York, UK
Joined Jan 2008
92 Posts
Well done and welcome to the club of addicted slope soarers.
The Wild Thing is a great first model which is very hard to break.

If you like building, I can recommend a Chris Foss Middlephase (aileron version) as a good aerobatic trainer.

Then after that, how about an RCRCM Typhooon for that first fast mouldie, and then on to the world of 3M exotica where the sky is literally the limit.

How sure are you about that bank balance situation?
peterjameswhit is offline Find More Posts by peterjameswhit
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:27 PM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Not the best plan in the world, but it's a start!

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Thanks Jake I saw that one and it did look nice. I've started a thread about the U2 seperately.

Peter, when I look at mouldies my wallet suddenly looks far smaller! But the truth is I like building as much as flying if not slightly more. So I will probably go down the PSS and Scale routes as with my powered models .

Will.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:08 PM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Nice description of a first flight - eerily simiar to mine - with a Wildthing Mk1 on Moel Y Golfa many many years ago....

and ... I suggest you start buttering up your significant other in advance... before the stable of planes starts to increase in size

The snow landing: Try deliberate touch'n goes, coming in hot, and sliding off the lip again... It's addictive.
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
I have a solution to the significant other issue - let her have a go ! She already likes powered flying occasionally so I think she'll love it .

I'll try the touch and goes if I'm out in the snow again, but the roads are really frozen now and I dare not try to get up to the slope again until it melts a bit.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLJayne View Post
I have a solution to the significant other issue - let her have a go ! She already likes powered flying occasionally so I think she'll love it .

I'll try the touch and goes if I'm out in the snow again, but the roads are really frozen now and I dare not try to get up to the slope again until it melts a bit.
You'll be calling Alan and ordering another Wildthing before the year's out

A fantastic solution by the way
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick