Jamie
Hey Hey!
From that Mini SkyFun page there is a link to a gyro Mini SkyFun,
In the Buy list is a Kit.
Gyro Mini SkyFun
http://www.skyartec.com/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=1869
Kit
http://www.skyartec.com/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=1874

I assume they are EPS like the SkyFun. EDIT: Appears to be EPO.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:57 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
BangGood has the kit but Ouch!
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Sk...t-p-52317.html

Check out the allum motor mount.
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Sk...2-p-53798.html

Mini SkyFun Individual Parts
http://blog.toyrc.com/radio-controll...i-skyfun-parts

Parts w. Prices
http://www.rc-fever.com/helicopter-s...skyfun-parts-1

This ad says EPO and looking at the closeups I'd say it is EPO.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skyartec-Min...item3f20b7af9b

This might be what HK is getting as a replacement. With a gyro is what they consider better?
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:16 AM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
We can definitely discount the slow numbers ... the only other factor in question is the flight line is overhead ... I usually try to fly side to side in front so I get a longer run ... your run is shortened by the directional line.

But I think we can say you are definitely up in tthe top category !! I will even concede my 'Crown' to you !! Average of 208.8 + 239.9 = 224kph ..
Bet you enjoyed the adrenaline rush !!

The King is Dead - Long Live the King !

Again .. what set-up ?

Lipo ?
Motor ? kv + size
Prop ? make and size
ESC ?

Nigel
Wow!! Really??

With all the suspect readings my doppler app was throwing out yesterday morning, I had decided to discount all readings I had taken with it and was expecting someone to come back saying I was doing about 150kph. Then again I had just dropped my phone in the snow in my rush to get set up.

Good to know I'm somewhere near, however there are issues with that video as has mentioned.............

1- I am backing off just after the pass, simply because I didn't have time (brief window of light before work ) to get to a decent flying site and was flying at a local field that didn't really have the room for going all out banzai.

2 - Didn't realise that overhead wasn't the way to go when measuring, I'm stood a little away from the cam + phone so from my POV I am flying side to side, but had always assumed directly over the measuring device would be better.

Those things considered, it's very generous of you to surrender your crown Nigel, perhaps we could share it until either I record some better runs or the inevitable happens and you blow us all out of the sky with your twin beast! For now I am just happy to know I'm "up there".

Set-up -

Airframe strengthened with 6mm carbon strip fanning out from the nose along the length of the plane - 4 strips epoxied into slits cut in the foam, 2 either side of the vent hole, 2 more outside of these. One more running horizontally across the wings. 2mm ply elevons with more 6mm carbon strips just to be sure, hinged with blenderm tape on both sides.

Motor - Turnigy Typhoon 3550kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50_class_.html

Prop - TGS Sport 4.5x4.5E - balanced to within an inch of its life!

ESC - Trusty old Turnigy Plush 40A - probably pushing my luck with a 40A but WOT is only used in bursts and I believe keeping weight to a minimum is key.

Battery - Turnigy Nano-Tech 3S 1300mah 45-90C.

Gareth.
crashnstick is offline Find More Posts by crashnstick
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:40 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Here's a video of a hopped up Screamer if anyone's interested:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1363
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:27 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
I'm not all up with how these doppler things work exactly, but does it take into account (from the video) the pilot sounds like he's backing off the throttle shortly after the pass, reducing the apparent frequency, which may skew the results... ? (i thought 2 seconds before and after passing the recording device was required for measurement)
I'm told that up to 20secs total is best ! But yes any variation of throttle before or after does alter results.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:37 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Hey Hey!
From that Mini SkyFun page there is a link to a gyro Mini SkyFun,
In the Buy list is a Kit.
Gyro Mini SkyFun
http://www.skyartec.com/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=1869
Kit
http://www.skyartec.com/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=1874

I assume they are EPS like the SkyFun. EDIT: Appears to be EPO.
Boy what a price !!!! But that's the machine IF we can get price sorted ....

Once I get home ... and can print up / cut out and start on the Snice-mitar ... that for cost to build and size is top of my list ...

My worry is that we lose all the good info built up if we move too much away from the PKJ .... there are of course a few of us with airframes still flyable ... but how much longer.

What I may do - if PKJ1 proves a lost cause ... cut sections to arrive at form drawings ... maybe someone else can do similar ? We may then be able to create our own kit ... who knows what we can do if enough interest. At least a plan can be created. For all we knowq - someone may have already created a plan ... ??

On subject of Doppler ...... I believe straight line for max possible time is the desired and to be same angle TO and AWAY from measuring item. Any turn or throttle management can throw it significantly. Overhead as long as it's straight and keeps going once past zenith is good ... in fact excellent, but usually we chicken out overhead and we lose out once past. So this is why I go for the straight line ahead of me along flight line ... it also gives maximum video time to actually SEE the model instead of just flashing over and losing sight. IF the video guy / gal can follow the model separate to the pilot and Doppler - then even better ... but again STRAIGHT LEVEL NO TURNS NO THROTTLING !!

My runs are shallow dive in at part throttle .. open up to WOT to hit bottom of pull out to level ... straight on ... keep throtttle on even when pulling out at far extreme ... THEN throttle back ... this then means WOT is along the run ... and extends hopefully long enough to register. This is of course a major problem that as speed increases - distance covered in doppler needed time increases until it gets too far !! I know with 220 as I averaged - I was having trouble with the distance needed.

Nigel
Last edited by solentlife; Jan 25, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:40 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
I;m waiting for some feed-back from Snice about capability of his model ...

I attach files here - I hope he doesn't mind my posting here ...

Nigel
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
78 Posts
dang!!!!! that skyartech is perfect,but at $40......who are they kiddingthats the same mold hk sold for 1/3rd the price.

and even he parts list equal more than $40 if you shop via parts only...

i'd be tempted to see if the $12 fuse and $7canopy are the same since the nose is whats taken such a beating on pkj 2 with the dons wicked 3000kv yet to be successfuly dopplered. i'm just happy my 4850kv pkj is still like new.
tobydogs is offline Find More Posts by tobydogs
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bisley
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
After watching people struggle to launch the parkjet on youtube and as I didn't fancy crashing mine on it's maiden flight.
So I came up with my answer to the launch problem. The original finger and thumb holes are too far apart and most humans have a longer index finger than thumb therefore when launching its difficult to release the model without putting a twist on the throw. The twist makes one wing go faster than the other and the plane rolls on launch into the turf. l
This keel I fitted allows the plane to be launched straight and true like a dart going toward a dart board. Launch with one third power on and it just climbs away easily.

It protects the prop too.
Here are my post maiden photo's.

Note tape on the front just as a precaution. I don't trust the front magnet.
The first flight was great. It does massive loops and slows up until your flying along with barely any power on and the stick all the way back. It's a real blast at full throttle. Long banked turns look awesome. I don't really think it matters what colour you paint it as it just becomes a little grey triangle racing around the sky. I had some fun chasing a pigeon too.
This plane is fantastic! Now to go faster.....

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for your advice and ideas, without you guys my maiden would not have been such a success.
ledzep76 is offline Find More Posts by ledzep76
Last edited by ledzep76; Jan 27, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:19 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
Glad to read that your maiden flight was a success. Better not stuff your PJ into the cold unforgiving earth as this model looks to becoming an endangerered species soon.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:35 PM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Glad to read that your maiden flight was a success. Better not stuff your PJ into the cold unforgiving earth as this model looks to becoming an endangerered species soon.
Andy
May have too keep my new in box backup kit as is. Collecters item!

I agree the Mini Skyfun may be the new 'better' HK one since they sell other Skyartec items already. Just hope the price is right.

Going to have to build the Prime Jet8 and the SNice-mitar just for giggles anyhow to go with the first Parkjet and the big Skyfun and countless others. I need a bigger man cave.
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:25 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Andy
endangerered by pilots too...
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, KS, Potwin
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
So you are using 3S Nanotech's ......

I've not had any good with nanos and stick with Zippy Compacts ...

The twin with all that weight at back end handles a 2200 3S to balance !! or a 1600 4S ..

My problem is whatever pack I use - I'm pushing past their operating limits. I may try nanos again ... but like I say - I never had any good from them. First few flights OK ... then steady quick decline to useless ...

Nigel
Might need to break in those nanos a little by only discharging them to 50% or so and giving them a nice slow recharge.
BenBusenitz is offline Find More Posts by BenBusenitz
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
78 Posts
i just did a record search of the last time i bought the hk parkjet. with shipping from china it was $35. i don't think we'll get the miniskyfun with shipping included for less than $50. thats steep for a little bare bones foamy.

still,i could see buying one more mini skyfun pkj for an extra $20 if it means getting the record speed over the rest of ya all[he said smugly]....lol the last few flights i had on the pkj went great so maybe we can make them last longer.

nigels twin truely will push the envelope of design and power......whats it going to be gang........skyfun for another effort for NFS. or...something else
tobydogs is offline Find More Posts by tobydogs
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:26 AM
United States, KS, Potwin
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Hi guys,
I finally got some decent footage of my parkjet. Could some of you with doplar speedos check it out?http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23957446
BenBusenitz is offline Find More Posts by BenBusenitz