HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:16 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts

sounds awsome Nigel,though you can hear those motors killing that poor lipo;P looking forward to flight vid
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:34 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post

sounds awsome Nigel,though you can hear those motors killing that poor lipo;P looking forward to flight vid
I know .... I've got to sort something out on that .... I don't like nanotechs so getting a high C rate to cope is going to be the hurdle ... It may mean staying with a 3S 2200 till I can sort a better 4S.

I still have to wattmeter the girl - which I'll do today ...

But that sound is something else ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
GENS ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
65C batts.would love to see the readings
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
78 Posts
nigel,i also use this motor mount on the pkj and found the power is a bit much on the thin plastic the motors screws go through,just a suggestion if it gives you a problem is to epoxy a round ply disc in with the plastic.makes the mount real solid.

i had the plastic insides break once during the bench test since the thrust was so great. i'm sure flying lessions stress on the mounta lot.
tobydogs is offline Find More Posts by tobydogs
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
78 Posts
heres a picture,the thin ply i locted on the inside of the motor mount and a little expoxy on the prop side showing through.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:14 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,564 Posts
Put the Wattmeter on her ....

3S 2200 35C ....

She hit 100A / 1.1KW ................... no way hosť !

I didn't try the 4S - the Wattmeter itself was getting warm cables just in those few secs.

She needs different motors ... now looking at 2623 3000KV jobs to keep the amps down ... review here : (not mine !)

But this little bastard really rocks on 3 cells! No warranty then of course, but so cheap it doesn't matter..
This setup is for WOT in short burst:
5x5 (electric, Not parkflyer type propeller)
3cells lipo
22,6 Amp
236,7 watt!

Motor gets warm, but 20+ flights so far, all good

Battery? I used Flightmax 3s1p 800 Mah (20-30C)

The 2632 3800's will be used as single power jobs .... elsewhere.

Nigel
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:16 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
nigel,i also use this motor mount on the pkj and found the power is a bit much on the thin plastic the motors screws go through,just a suggestion if it gives you a problem is to epoxy a round ply disc in with the plastic.makes the mount real solid.

i had the plastic insides break once during the bench test since the thrust was so great. i'm sure flying lessions stress on the mounta lot.
Will take a good look at it ...

As posted earlier - the motors are too much ... will have to sort another set of motors ...

Nigel
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Put the Wattmeter on her ....

3S 2200 35C ....

She hit 100A / 1.1KW ................... no way hosť !

I didn't try the 4S - the Wattmeter itself was getting warm cables just in those few secs.

She needs different motors ... now looking at 2623 3000KV jobs to keep the amps down ... review here : (not mine !)

But this little bastard really rocks on 3 cells! No warranty then of course, but so cheap it doesn't matter..
This setup is for WOT in short burst:
5x5 (electric, Not parkflyer type propeller)
3cells lipo
22,6 Amp
236,7 watt!

Motor gets warm, but 20+ flights so far, all good

Battery? I used Flightmax 3s1p 800 Mah (20-30C)

The 2632 3800's will be used as single power jobs .... elsewhere.

Nigel
Why not just grab a quality 65c 2200ma 3c battery before throwing away all that power???
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
78 Posts
power....we love overkill!!!. i agree with leaving it for a go and at the end of run doppler that little demon

now i do have some great news,my wife just downloaded rcspeedo on my daughters ipad and it works!!!!!!!!! so awsome to be able to record passes one after the other. of coarse i still need to do outdoor test,but it worked perfectly on the neonbjb video. now i just have to get my tranmitter repaired or replaced and i'll be posting speeds all the time for these experimental trial builds.
Last edited by tobydogs; Nov 22, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:51 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Why not just grab a quality 65c 2200ma 3c battery before throwing away all that power???
Have you seen the weight of such a LiPo ? As the C rating goes up - the weight goes up dramatically ....

The other trouble is - I live in Latvia and you cannot believe the price of so-called quality LiPo's here ... it's why I live with HK stuff ...

The other thing is the ESC's are 50A ... so they are past their limits ...

Let me think on this ... I've hit the buy button for a couple of 2623 3000kv motors .... so I need to consider ...

Nigel
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Have you seen the weight of such a LiPo ? As the C rating goes up - the weight goes up dramatically ....

The other trouble is - I live in Latvia and you cannot believe the price of so-called quality LiPo's here ... it's why I live with HK stuff ...

The other thing is the ESC's are 50A ... so they are past their limits ...

Let me think on this ... I've hit the buy button for a couple of 2623 3000kv motors .... so I need to consider ...

Nigel
Here's one on sale:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-60c-2200-3s1p-3333.html

I may order a few for myself, and pickup in US.

I wonder how much to send to Latvia from Canada. I'll buy you a new battery, you only pay shipping. Just have to promise to use those motors.
Interested?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
538 Posts
It's $41.39CAN to send a 300g package to Latvia. The battery is only 201g according to the specs.

I've ordered 2 in any case.
Let me know.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
As there seem to be a few chaps on this thread who know their onions, could someone judge whether they think the readings I'm getting from RCSpeedo are accurate?

I'm running a Typhoon 3550kv Heli motor at wing level, 4.5 x 4.5, 40A ESC, 1300 45-90c 3s and getting fairly consistent 180-190kph readings.

Do those figures sound realistic?

She may not be pretty but she goes like the clappers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...5&d=1353620069
crashnstick is offline Find More Posts by crashnstick
Last edited by crashnstick; Nov 22, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:52 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
It's $41.39CAN to send a 300g package to Latvia. The battery is only 201g according to the specs.

I've ordered 2 in any case.
Let me know.
I really appreciate the offer ... but at present I need to sort out not only this model - but my health and other issues ...

I'm looking at a mass order of various LiPo's as I need an upgrade for the Edge racer .... my EDF's are eating batts .... my F15 is similarly ... my big gasser biplane is still not finished repairs ...

First I'm going to EPA the throttle back so I at least get her airborne - I can live with 50A total on the 2200's ... they'll get warm - but that'll be ok. Then I'll see about the two other motors on order or go for the higher battery rating ...

Cheers
Nigel
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:57 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnstick View Post
As there seem to be a few chaps on this thread who know their onions, could someone judge whether they think the readings I'm getting from RCSpeedo are accurate?

I'm running a Typhoon 3550kv Heli motor at wing level, 4.5 x 4.5, 40A ESC, 1300 45-90c 3s and getting fairly consistent 180-190kph readings.

Do those figures sound realistic?

She may not be pretty but she goes like the clappers.
Sounds about right ... Welcome to the Need for Speed campaign !

I get about 210kph on my tired PKJ with 3700 Westor + 5x5 on a 1800 3S ... when I ran a 4.75x4.75 - I dropped to about 195kph.

When I first got her going (she took so many failed launches - I nearly gave up) - she hit 222kph with the 3700kv + 5x5 + 1800 3S - that is the max she ever did. Batterys were having a hard time of it !