HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:01 PM
KG5AWQ
guaglione87's Avatar
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
655 Posts
Speaking of HK - i got the HXT black alloy motor mount, and it snapped on me today - mid flight - pow.... the prop chewed up the rudder fin a bit, but I was able to glide it in to a nice landing.

Going to Home Depot and looking for an L Bracket of some sort until the new one comes in.

That alloy motor mount is just simple crap metal...
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:55 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Speaking of HK - i got the HXT black alloy motor mount, and it snapped on me today - mid flight - pow.... the prop chewed up the rudder fin a bit, but I was able to glide it in to a nice landing.

Going to Home Depot and looking for an L Bracket of some sort until the new one comes in.

That alloy motor mount is just simple crap metal...
That's why I prefer to use the gws brushless motor mount.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:44 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
That's why I prefer to use the gws brushless motor mount.
and is why I used a household L bracket illustrated back earlier in the thread ...

I had the alloy mount and that cracked along the 90 degree bend ... luckily I noticed BEFORE launch ... It's excellent shape and idea - but material is so crap ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:06 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,744 Posts
Lol it's called metal fatigue, I remember gws making this mount in the good old days of brushed motors, now we are putting 5-10 times more power through them, little wonder they fail lol
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:56 AM
KG5AWQ
guaglione87's Avatar
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
655 Posts
galvanized steel from the hardware shop... aint breaking no more. Maybe gotta find a better solution for the top screw, but its still nice and tight
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:14 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,744 Posts
Just been looking at the mount which is failing on you guys lol, if you read the specs, it says it is made for 20mm motors 😃, it was never designed to carry as much power has it has received. ✌
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:35 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
galvanized steel from the hardware shop... aint breaking no more. Maybe gotta find a better solution for the top screw, but its still nice and tight
Mine - mounted UNDER the beam so that also provides stiffening against twist / thrust etc.
I posted up piccies I think it was last year about this ...







For 10 cents a mount and 30 mins work ... got to be good !!

I have this on both my PKJ's now .. no failures at all yet.


Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:31 AM
KG5AWQ
guaglione87's Avatar
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
655 Posts
Nigel, its funny how so often in this hobby home made solutions are the best, and always the cheapest.

I had read previously about your mount under the stick, and I was going to do that, however I have had perfect flights and no torque problems with the motor mounted on top, so - aint broke, dont fix it...

Im still getting used to the relatively high stall speed of this bird. My thumb trembles the first minute of flight, and I celebrate every landing that does not end in a crash
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:29 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Nigel, its funny how so often in this hobby home made solutions are the best, and always the cheapest.

I had read previously about your mount under the stick, and I was going to do that, however I have had perfect flights and no torque problems with the motor mounted on top, so - aint broke, dont fix it...

Im still getting used to the relatively high stall speed of this bird. My thumb trembles the first minute of flight, and I celebrate every landing that does not end in a crash
Yep ... in fact I use many items not designed for models ...

Draught excluder foam tape as wing seat filler.
Bamboo BBQ skewers instead of CF rods
Household paint for finishing of models

are just 3 examples ...

Tremble ? My heart is racing for ages after a flight of mine !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:54 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Yep ... in fact I use many items not designed for models ...

Draught excluder foam tape as wing seat filler.
Bamboo BBQ skewers instead of CF rods
Household paint for finishing of models

are just 3 examples ...

Tremble ? My heart is racing for ages after a flight of mine !

Nigel
Wow really, maybe on the maiden of a good build, come on guys it's only a cheap foam aero plane 👍
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:30 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
Wow really, maybe on the maiden of a good build, come on guys it's only a cheap foam aero plane ��
So it is ..... but at over 200kph .................
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:59 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
So it is ..... but at over 200kph .................
No it's not over 200k and to be honest I don't think it's worth the effort to try, and get this plane going that fast considering what you guys are going through, I would rather get a decent hotliner.

After this only a toy foam aero plane.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:29 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
So it is ..... but at over 200kph .................
It's fun man
gets the heart rate up in a fun way
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:30 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
It all started with me as a harmless bit of fun ... I read about the PKJ and it's possibilities. I got one ... fitted gear .... and BOY what a shock ! I couldn't believe such fun could be had for $15.
Unlike most other pushers - the potential on this baby is unreal.

I have doubts that the 50mm EDF Screamer of very similar design will compete with this PKJ ... the 50mm EDF I don't think can produce the thrust needed ..

My modification to twin motor set-up is on hold while I wait a couple of essential bits .... that hopefully should cure the torque problems with contra props ...

I have thought at times to buy a PnF version and 'enjoy' standard version ... but I reckon a few flights and I'll be ripping the gear out etc.

I'm same with the EDF ... have to see how far I can push it ... I have various ideas up my sleeve to try and I think reach the limit they can do.

Yes - they are a bit of foam and 'toy' planes .......... but it's the thrill of being able to do it ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:00 AM
BLANIK213
blanik213's Avatar
United States, NY, Phoenicia
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
Hey guys if your willing to pay the price Gary at CustomRCparts maker of the stryker custom mount can do this type of job. I had him make to spec a couple of these for my tricked out TJ (the Aurora) and they are worth every penny . I asked that the 90%
angel be gusseted (reinforced) and he did an excellent machining job, a real artist he is.
blanik213 is offline Find More Posts by blanik213
Last edited by blanik213; Oct 09, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Hobby lobby F9F Panther EPO Jet Receiver Ready ARF smasher41 Foamy EDFs 998 Sep 29, 2014 10:35 AM
Discussion HK AT-6 Texan EPO Plug-n-Fly 29.5" w/s stuart warne Electric Warbirds 12 Jun 14, 2011 02:47 AM
For Sale HK Mini-PITTS -- EPO, Brushless, Plug 'n Fly WRXronald Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Aug 04, 2010 10:03 PM
New Product New HK Mini F-16 EDF Fighter Jet / EPO Plug-n-Fly CrashingDutchman Foamy EDFs 13 Jul 01, 2010 11:15 PM
Discussion HK's EPO F-16 WRXronald Foamy EDFs 5 Apr 11, 2010 02:47 PM