HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:23 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,814 Posts
While trying to achieve a good speed with my parkjet, I have turned it into a over weight brick, a couple of guys at the club are using this motor, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5453 in their parkjet's which go very well and are much lighter, I have since put one in the wing wing Z84 and it hoots, I am putting one in my new parkjet to compare the difference in speed.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:09 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
While trying to achieve a good speed with my parkjet, I have turned it into a over weight brick, a couple of guys at the club are using this motor, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5453 in their parkjet's which go very well and are much lighter, I have since put one in the wing wing Z84 and it hoots, I am putting one in my new parkjet to compare the difference in speed.
Dunno what you had in PKJ before - but the one you link to here is too light for serious speed.
I reckon the PKJ Mk2 motor would be at least equal to or better ...

At end of day .. there is no substitute for having a strong motor. Lightweights are fine - but as I found out after having a prop fly of a broken shaft and hit wall other side of my model den ... I will not risk it again.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:46 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Dunno what you had in PKJ before - but the one you link to here is too light for serious speed.
I reckon the PKJ Mk2 motor would be at least equal to or better ...

At end of day .. there is no substitute for having a strong motor. Lightweights are fine - but as I found out after having a prop fly of a broken shaft and hit wall other side of my model den ... I will not risk it again.

Nigel
Well Nigel I watched these guys on the weekend with the motor in the link running a 4.1x4.1 on 3s and while I doubt they are as fast as my parkjet, they were reasonable close, the motor I have in my parkjet is the 50gram 3500kv heli motor from KDA, I was running a 4.1x4.1 also, pulling about 25amps static, I put one of these 3000kv motors on my Z84 and for a 845mm flying it was hooting around.

I understand you are skeptical, and so I was I, I am not saying its going to be ballistic fast but it gets the parkjet back to a aircraft that flies like a brick once you shut the power off.

Gary
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:23 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,480 Posts
Understood ...........

Funny thing is though ... if you watch my videos with the heavy Heli motors ... my PKJ's are not bricks ... in fact they glide on ... on ... on !! Just fast !

You are running 4.1x4.1 ... that's way smaller than I run ... smallest I ever ran was 4.75x4.75 ... and my 222 was with a 5x5.
No way will you turn a prop like that without burning amps and the small motor would not last long I reckon ...

It all comes down to what you want ... I want to beat my own record of 222 ... so I am busting **** to do it !!

Nigel
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:50 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,814 Posts
Quote:
Understood ...........

Funny thing is though ... if you watch my videos with the heavy Heli motors ... my PKJ's are not bricks ... in fact they glide on ... on ... on !! Just fast !

You are running 4.1x4.1 ... that's way smaller than I run ... smallest I ever ran was 4.75x4.75 ... and my 222 was with a 5x5.
No way will you turn a prop like that without burning amps and the small motor would not last long I reckon ...

It all comes down to what you want ... I want to beat my own record of 222 ... so I am busting **** to do it !!

Nigel

Lol I guess it comes down to what everybody considers to be gliding, my PJ ended up around 500grams which seems heavy to me. which gave it mass and so it took awhile to bleed off the energy, which made landings interesting under the wrong conditions. Plus it seemed to run out of elevator when the speed got to slow, my first PJ was underpowered but you could land it at a walking pace, so for me it is a compromise between the two extremes.

Why i ran the 4.1x4.1 you ask lol, if i tried to use anything else it was to much for my batteries, i tried some zippy compacts to help but the ir on the packs were below standard, so they didnt improve things at all.

I now have some turnigy nanos coming and hope they will measure up ok.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:07 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,480 Posts
I run Compacts !! Nanos have no place in my box having had them fail on me ... watched others in my group have them fail.

They were great for first month or so - then just went downhill .......

My PKJ weighs about 580gr if I remember right .... would have to check that ...

Nigel
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:11 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,814 Posts
Quote:
I run Compacts !! Nanos have no place in my box having had them fail on me ... watched others in my group have them fail.

They were great for first month or so - then just went downhill .......

My PKJ weighs about 580gr if I remember right .... would have to check that ...

Nigel
I checked the ir on my icharger and the compacts were only 1/2 of what hey were meant to be. I got the 1800 and 2200 compacts for my PJ and they can't do the business.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:21 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,480 Posts
Quote:
I checked the ir on my icharger and the compacts were only 1/2 of what hey were meant to be. I got the 1800 and 2200 compacts for my PJ and they can't do the business.
Strange ..... I have 3S and 4S compacts in 1500, 1600 and 2700 size ... all very good.

Nigel
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:53 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
My Mild PJ2 is going to run a Emax 2805:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5353
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

Think I'm going with 4.75 x 4.75 on 3s.
Should be quite similar to the Hextronic motor.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:46 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
My Mild PJ2 is going to run a Emax 2805:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5353
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

Think I'm going with 4.75 x 4.75 on 3s.
Should be quite similar to the Hextronic motor.
Yea it should be, its all about having fun.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:57 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
It's all about getting more than 2 flights per airframe now, LOL
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:47 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,165 Posts
Quote:
I was considering the same motor on my Parkjet on the basis that I could run a lighter pack as well as the lighter motor. I've build 3 610mm scratch built flying wings, 2 of which I gave to my FB's. They started out with 1700kv BW's but quickly joined me when they realised what fun the higher kv version was.
Here is a video of the 3000 kv version, 850 45-90c 3s nano tech and 4.5 x 4.5 prop
Mini Wing KFm-4. 610 span. Shot with #16 HD Keycam (2 min 20 sec)

and for those considering the Emax 2805, here is the 16.5" Night Crow running a 5x5 on 2S. Might have to try a 3s pack even though the motor is only rated for 2s
Night Crow 2nd flight. Radio control pusher jet (3 min 1 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:20 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,480 Posts
If the weather gods play ball tmrw ... now I'm home - I shall have another go with the 4400kv PKJ2 I have ...

This is still in fine condition but failed to get speed runs in every attempt to fly it !!

First attempts the gyro couldn't be turned down enough !

Then she kept throwing blades

It's been a nightmare to get this one in the air ... 1st was bad enough !! This one is just crazy !

She now has no Gyro ... the props are changed for another type ... she will be on the bungee .... She HAS to fly !!

Fingers crossed for weather ...

Nigel
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Feb 2011
192 Posts
Shipping cost on this (and others) just went up ridiculously. I was able to order these at $30 (shipping) per pair, it's now $50... bummer .
amba is online now Find More Posts by amba
Last edited by amba; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Yes, shipping is getting out of hand.
HK needs to focus heavily on local warehouse stock.