Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris.hans View Post
solentlife,

ive been looking for a 5000kv @ your claimed 50amps motor that isnt too long and heavy, can u post a link?

I want to melt the foam
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_55_64mm.html

Backorder I'm afraid ..... popular with the EDF boys as well ! But there are others in the Hobby King EDF motors listing of near similar KV ...

She will pull well over 50A on a 5 x 5 prop - so reduce diameter to get amps down...... wish you luck !!
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
Been thinking of trying one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...55%5F64mm.html
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
About as close to 5000kv your going to get ATM. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...55%5F64mm.html
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:39 PM
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
[QUOTE=Jpette;21137700]max a Parkjet can suffer is about 140gr in LiPo

You can go even higher in weight . I am using successfully this pack :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=18208
Unfortunately, the canopy popped off when I changed battery for a 4 cells pack and the pitot tube was damaged for the second time ./QUOTE]

I hear you man - I got really sick of the "canopy flying off blues". Have been using hair ties for some time but it looks ugly and doesn't help with airflow. Recently I implemented the same solution I use on my Skyfun - a nosepin from simple bamboo skewer retained by a rubber band. It works really well and that canopy don't come off anymore. More of a procedure to deal with when changing batteries but thats a good thing IMV - it slows you down when you should really be double checking everything before flight.

Here's some pix of my current parky airframe and setup with a good shot of the nosepin.
graeme_robinson is offline Find More Posts by graeme_robinson
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:34 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
No No No ... canopy hold down is simple and can be much cleaner ............

Cocktail stick into front lower part bof canopy foam ... hole in nose of fuselage ... stick fits into hole. Best to epoxy foam around so it doesn't enalrge hole and make it sloppy.

At back end a wing hold-down bolt or as I have ... a cocktail stick across inside fuselage .. two rubber bands up through air vent hole to cocktail stick ends in canopy ...

In fact the rear band part - I've moved the stick ends to back of canaopy so the bands PULL the canopy forward ... as the photo here shows the bands going forward which actually pulls the canaopy back and is not so good.

But easy .. clean and easy to do.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:40 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
About as close to 5000kv your going to get ATM..............
Yep - that's why in my post of the 5000kv link ... I said others similar. I hear from some that the difference of this 4800 and my 5000 is very little in fact ...

Give it a decent prop - I reckon they will perform near same ...

But beware they are AMPS hungry with a small prop as we fit. In EDF form they are moderate to high amps motors ... but pusher prop really bangs it up.

My 5000kv hit 54A and was still not WOT on a 5x5 prop.... that was at about 80% throttle. RPM was hitting over 32K ... on a 3S. I shut down afraid of setting fire to the ESC !!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:23 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
solentlife,
I have a SkyFun to rebuild and it previously had a nosepin skewer canopy holddown. On it, the skewer goes through the fuse and canopy both. No rubber band.
A battery ejection ripped a hunk off the fuse and it's gone. No more skewer ability without work.
Now I can use your approach.
You solved a problem that was slowing me down.
Thanks!
I wonder how your front pin would handle an ejection?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Mar 28, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
thanks solentlife/aeromaniac,

i ordered two of the 4800's because i plan to melt the first one on my test bench (200a capable) seeing how far i can push it and then have one to put on the plane, If i cant fry it on 3s then i will try to on 4s......this should get interesting
morris.hans is offline Find More Posts by morris.hans
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:05 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Thanks for the canopy tips guys . Now I am using a simple rubber band and it won't move an inch .

Morris

Better melt the foam than your motor man

4800 kv motor seems far to high for any propeller and most of all on 4 cells !!

Will be interesting to see if only pitch without diameter will move the plane or just make holes in the atmosphere

Sorry for opening the debate again . Can't help it !!!
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette View Post
Thanks for the canopy tips guys . Now I am using a simple rubber band and it won't move an inch .

Morris

Better melt the foam than your motor man

4800 kv motor seems far to high for any propeller and most of all on 4 cells !!

Will be interesting to see if only pitch without diameter will move the plane or just make holes in the atmosphere

Sorry for opening the debate again . Can't help it !!!

there are planes that are twice as heavy as the pkjet that run 5000kv setups on a 4.1 X4.1 prop that have busted 150-200mph, google it. ive just been trying to find a motor that will suffice thats not tooo big
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
I really have no experience with so high KV motors and such a tiny prop .

I just know that prop efficiency will drop drastically when it becomes to tiny to overcome the drag .

What about this motor :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...ner_Motor.html

On a 4 cells battery, one could use a 5,25x6,25 so the pitch should be almost as high than with your 4800 kV motor but the prop diameter would stay large enough for better efficiency .

I don't own that motor but I would bet more on it to give insane speed than on thoses high kV motors .

Anyway , continue testing guys in all directions and we"ll together find the best way on how to convert a Parkjet in a cruise missile .
Just make sure you get reliable speed measures by repeating them a significant number of times . I don't really trust the one time measures that can be totally falses .

Solentlife

I know I "ll be a pain in your a. but how many times did you get that 222 km/h reading ?
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
I run the 2815-4000 edf motor on 4.1x4.1 and it only pulled around 23amps going to try the 4.5x4.5 ?.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
right!

not to take away from solentlife but i pulled 143mph on radar gun but didnt bother to post it cause it was down wind and could'nt repeat it. i agree there must be atleast 2-3 repeats before its worth mentioning.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,670 Posts
I am not here to compete with you speed demons, I just want to make my pj reasonably quick and have a good set up, it's just about as fast as I want, I have rc speedo on my iPhone and plan to give it a go tomorrow.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:39 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
solentlife,
I have a SkyFun to rebuild and it previously had a nosepin skewer canopy holddown. On it, the skewer goes through the fuse and canopy both. No rubber band.
A battery ejection ripped a hunk off the fuse and it's gone. No more skewer ability without work.
Now I can use your approach.
You solved a problem that was slowing me down.
Thanks!
I wonder how your front pin would handle an ejection?
No idea ... my battery has not only a Velcro pad it sits on - but also a velcro strap that is epoxied AND tie-wrapped to the fuselage ... so for my battery to move / eject it would take half the fuselage with it !