HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:03 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,640 Posts
I used to have a big nose down pitch on launch but since using a launch ramp and bungee, this has solved all my problems.

Now I can fly my park jet and totally enjoy it.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:22 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
It may surprise you but according to quite a few online reviews - gyros are more common on 3D that I ever imagined ... and the reviews all say it improves 3D significantly.

To me objecting to Gyro on a plane is like objecting to the introduction of automatic gearbox to cars .... some like manual (I raced cars many years ago and that is my preference), but some like automatic ... each to their own.

I am wanting to fit the mini MEMS gyro to my PKJ ... and I believe i will enjoy my PKJ even more with it. I am looking at fitting another to my big biplane - to help with oversensitive that I want for extreme aerobatics. I may even fit to my Ultimate EP ... Oh Dear ! the mans gone mad !!
I know and IMHO is stoooopid.u cant really say ur a good 3d pilot when infact you have gyro's in ur plane......but yes each to their own.just my opinion....
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:20 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
I know and IMHO is stoooopid.u cant really say ur a good 3d pilot when infact you have gyro's in ur plane......but yes each to their own.just my opinion....
With all due respect - who gives a **** if you are enjoying the flying ?

I agree if it's a competition - then rules apply and you should not use any performance enhancing gear such as stabilisers / Gyros etc. - same as when I did aerobatics / scale flying etc.

But this is a sport hobby and if someone finds fitting a gyro helps him enjoy it - then good for him ...

I can fly reasonably .. I could probably do 3D if I was that way inclined but I am not. I like real aerobatics and sport flying ... a gyro can be a great benefit to steady out a plane in gusty wind and various other factors that even the best pilots have problems with.
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:59 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
true.like I said just my opinion.hey spot on its a sport/hobby to be enjoyed.guess i just like the oldschool way
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:17 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,640 Posts
I remember reading about using a gyro on a dornier 335, it was said that because it had a engine on either end of the fuse, that it porpose out turns etc.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Aug 2005
405 Posts
If i may just chime in - I don't think there's anything wrong with using gyros on a plane, as long as it's not being used in competition where of course it's not allowed, then by all means go ahead. Don't get me wrong, I fly 3d and I don't use gyros - not because I don't want to, but I don't have to, because the planes I fly with don't need it, they all can be compensated with a little mixing and a little pilot input. A gyro should (IMHO) only be used to correct unwanted tendencies of a plane that can't be corrected using normal measures. Same goes with a heli, that's why they're 99% of the time required on a heli - it's because it's almost next to impossible to fly a heli without a gyro, I didn't say impossible, but almost. It's to correct the unwanted natural tendency of a heli to spin its tail away if there wasn't a gyro on it. It's just a little computer helping you out. And mind you, that power setup is NOT normal on the PJ (in a good way)

If it makes your plane fly that much better, and you're actually enjoying flying the pj now (because it's easier to fly and it helps counteract the insane torque that motor must be putting out), then you're ACTUALLY enjoying the plane now vs. before wherein you'd be spending 90% of the time repairing the plane because of mad crashes caused by the insane power setup, then by all means.

I don't think the pj was designed to handle that insane motor setup anyway, so it's obviously not going to fly properly without any mods/help. Damn, even on the stock motor, it's already hard enough to handlaunch, God knows how hard it is to handlaunch with that modified power setup. Nothing wrong with that all, methinks.
shauntot is offline Find More Posts by shauntot
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,640 Posts
I am thinking of putting a gyro on the rudder of my mossie to help with engine torque on takeoff.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,640 Posts
Upgraded my motor in my parkjet for last weekend, and while a fast and low pass something went wrong and the parkjet pitched down about 35% and when I tried to pull up she just rolled, I killed the motor just before she hit the ground and everything but the servos flew out, motor, esc, rx and battery. Surprisingly everything was undamaged except the plane .

Aircraft was inspected on getting home and no cause could be found, I had first thought it was one of the hxt500 let go but this wasnt the case, in the end I put it down to a loose clevis, while all were connected, one was unclipped.

After the repair the plane has been flown with 3 batteries and all is fine, I did replace the epo elevons with balsa ones.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:58 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Ok guys given.Solent like I said before.never meant to offend or question you.hey I'm a 3d pilot and have my PJ as a fun speed demon to break away sometime and relax with smaller stick movements but as Shaun put it now it actually makes sense.I'm just old school in my thinking I guess
Aero it's almost looks like new again
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntot View Post
If i may just chime in - I don't think there's anything wrong with using gyros on a plane, as long as it's not being used in competition where of course it's not allowed, then by all means go ahead. Don't get me wrong, I fly 3d and I don't use gyros - not because I don't want to, but I don't have to, because the planes I fly with don't need it, they all can be compensated with a little mixing and a little pilot input. A gyro should (IMHO) only be used to correct unwanted tendencies of a plane that can't be corrected using normal measures. Same goes with a heli, that's why they're 99% of the time required on a heli - it's because it's almost next to impossible to fly a heli without a gyro, I didn't say impossible, but almost. It's to correct the unwanted natural tendency of a heli to spin its tail away if there wasn't a gyro on it. It's just a little computer helping you out. And mind you, that power setup is NOT normal on the PJ (in a good way)

If it makes your plane fly that much better, and you're actually enjoying flying the pj now (because it's easier to fly and it helps counteract the insane torque that motor must be putting out), then you're ACTUALLY enjoying the plane now vs. before wherein you'd be spending 90% of the time repairing the plane because of mad crashes caused by the insane power setup, then by all means.

I don't think the pj was designed to handle that insane motor setup anyway, so it's obviously not going to fly properly without any mods/help. Damn, even on the stock motor, it's already hard enough to handlaunch, God knows how hard it is to handlaunch with that modified power setup. Nothing wrong with that all, methinks.
Yiou are spot on and yes its insane power levels. I wish to go even higher in speed than already achieved - and only way I can see doing it - is to have some help in getting it airborn. 4S, 5000kv, 4.6x5 ..... who knows how much more will be shoved in it ? I'm hoping that I can still use the 5x5 prop if gyro handles it....
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Ok guys given.Solent like I said before.never meant to offend or question you.hey I'm a 3d pilot and have my PJ as a fun speed demon to break away sometime and relax with smaller stick movements but as Shaun put it now it actually makes sense.I'm just old school in my thinking I guess
Aero it's almost looks like new again
No worries ... I'm old school flyer and if I could get away without it - i would.
I will keep trying to find the way to do it without - I haven't given up completely.

But as Shaun says - some of us are running insane power levels that even make 3D power to weight ratios look domestic !
How do you harness such power .. 3D you have huge surfaces, the PKJ has piddly little elevons and very short wingspan.
If we could get same thrust / speed levels from a suitable EDF unit - then I reckon this launch tningy would be solved ........... but that's not the case - we are trying to solve a huge torque effect with such pusher prop config.

Have a great fly chop-sitx ... no worries.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,640 Posts
Quote:
Yiou are spot on and yes its insane power levels. I wish to go even higher in speed than already achieved - and only way I can see doing it - is to have some help in getting it airborn. 4S, 5000kv, 4.6x5 ..... who knows how much more will be shoved in it ? I'm hoping that I can still use the 5x5 prop if gyro handles it....
Hey Solent

I thought mine is getting heavy with 3s 1800's, but you are surely joking about 4s 5000's ?. It will be a flying brick and the stall speed will be close to the flying speed lol.

Maybe this might help lol http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5Fetc%5F.html
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
^^^ 5000kv
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:22 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
Hey Solent

I thought mine is getting heavy with 3s 1800's, but you are surely joking about 4s 5000's ?. It will be a flying brick and the stall speed will be close to the flying speed lol. ....................
4S 920 or 1300mAh 25C Lipo's

5000kv 2610 motor

50A ESC

NOT 4S 5000mAh !! Blimey - even I'm not that crazy !!

The 6s pack you link to ---- no way ! The weight is way out there ........ max a Parkjet can suffer is about 140gr in LiPo depending on motor and physical dimensions. I'll be pushing the limits with the 1500 4S I've got on order .... which are primarily for my 50mm T45...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=21341

One of the problems we will come up against are sheer physical limitations ... drag vs forward speed, strength of airframe and ability to take such speeds, ability of flying surface controls to guide the beast - it was UK designers that first found that all-flying tails were needed for SuperSonic flight ... data that was given to US and subsequently appeared on the X1. Ok - we are not talking SS flight - but the levels are in the region of surface failure due to breakage or just plain not overcoming the directional force of the model !

Already I am experiencing flex of the airframe .. I have photos of the paint cracks where the model is flexing. I have already had to reglue stiffening in the elevons due to break out. I am going to replace the foam elevons with hard balsa .. I have inserted longitudinal balsa rails in fuselage ... the work goes on !

Finally we will arrive at the workable beast that we can list all mods online and others can then copy - to get their adrenaline rush !
Last edited by solentlife; Mar 25, 2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,640 Posts
Quote:
4S 920 or 1300mAh 25C Lipo's

5000kv 2610 motor

50A ESC

NOT 4S 5000mAh !! Blimey - even I'm not that crazy !!

The 6s pack you link to ---- no way ! The weight is way out there ........ max a Parkjet can suffer is about 140gr in LiPo depending on motor and physical dimensions. I'll be pushing the limits with the 1500 4S I've got on order .... which are primarily for my 50mm T45...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=21341

One of the problems we will come up against are sheer physical limitations ... drag vs forward speed, strength of airframe and ability to take such speeds, ability of flying surface controls to guide the beast - it was UK designers that first found that all-flying tails were needed for SuperSonic flight ... data that was given to US and subsequently appeared on the X1. Ok - we are not talking SS flight - but the levels are in the region of surface failure due to breakage or just plain not overcoming the directional force of the model !

Already I am experiencing flex of the airframe .. I have photos of the paint cracks where the model is flexing. I have already had to reglue stiffening in the elevons due to break out. I am going to replace the foam elevons with hard balsa .. I have inserted longitudinal balsa rails in fuselage ... the work goes on !

Finally we will arrive at the workable beast that we can list all mods online and others can then copy - to get their adrenaline rush !
Lol mine already is running 3s 1800 mah battery with 3500kv outrunner, it flies just fine, I did right from the very start put a little extra carbon in it, my new one has even more carbon in it. With the 1800 my auw in 495grams. Of course I bungee launch to get her away.
Last edited by aeromaniac; Mar 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add photos