SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Jan 2006
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
the right servo plugs into you "aileron" channel and the left into the "elevator" channel on your RX.you have to set the "wing type" to elevon and your tx/rx WILL KNOW IT'S ELEVON AND WILL WORK CORRECTLY.
A gyro come on man,thats cheating....it makes you no better a pilot.Just learn yourself mentally to apply some right stick upon launch to counter the "torque effect" before you know it, you do it without even thinking about it.
You don't wanna be like Bill Hempel and "hover with no hands" but in the vid you can check the gyro's on the tail correcting the surfaces.as far as I'm concerned thats just plain stooooopid and rowdy.now for Joe street it looks cool,but for us REAL rc pilots its a slap in the face IMHO.No disrespect to him,he is a really good pilot,but thats just not a good thing to portray
You are a funny man! lol
tocpilot is offline Find More Posts by tocpilot
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:41 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
maybe yall could try to use a dolly with wheels to take off with. modify a small car with wheels to set your parkjet on, throttle up, let it start rolling, when you have enough speed, just pull back on the stick and leave the dolly on the ground.
Did think of that then we lost our Airport flight site. Now it's rough field flying.

I had a Spitfire years ago that had a dolly as that ... belly land after. I set it so Spit basically lifted of herself ...
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:44 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Following on from Gyros ......... theres an Infra Red stabiliser now out ...

Alien Command :

http://www.heliguy.com/Extras/Helico...lien-Command/#

??
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Following on from Gyros ......... theres an Infra Red stabiliser now out ...

Alien Command :

http://www.heliguy.com/Extras/Helico...lien-Command/#

??

i use infra red stabilizers on my 2 of my FPV helicopters and i can attest that if conditions are not ideal on the ground (obstructions, temp) then the results are useless and cause issues. I would love to see this work on a stupid fast jet,

I tried the stabilizer on my bixler and was only able to use half the functions and all the programming was in helicopter mode - a airplane stabilizer would probably be alot better - finding one light enough is the real question

on another note, im covering my parkjet today "rcfoamfighters style" (fiberglass weave, colored packaging tape) to make it bullet proof, this should be interesting......
morris.hans is offline Find More Posts by morris.hans
Last edited by morris.hans; Mar 19, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
I'm going for Gyro and V-Tail mixer .... switch of Tx mixing and the Gyro will look after aileron rol.

I'm also designing a rails + bungee system to launch the PKJ ...

All will be revealed / photo'd ... video'd etc.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
I'm going for Gyro and V-Tail mixer .... switch of Tx mixing and the Gyro will look after aileron rol.
two micro "rate mode" gyros (~7grams a peice) will give you better results, weigh less, and be super easy to program. each on there own channel. i have a skyfighter v4 with two, 7gram gyros , and i would'nt dare take out the gyros for the infrared. good luck either way

awesome plane gyros only 7 grams with case ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9094 )
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:01 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris.hans View Post
two micro "rate mode" gyros (~7grams a peice) will give you better results, weigh less, and be super easy to program. each on there own channel. i have a skyfighter v4 with two, 7gram gyros , and i would'nt dare take out the gyros for the infrared. good luck either way

awesome plane gyros only 7 grams with case ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9094 )
This : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15318 weighs 8gr ... has programmable capabilities etc. Combined with http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6321 at 4gr .....

?? Similar total weight, but total price is approx 1/4 total of your 2 gyros.

I am concerned about one aspect though ... the manual and page hasn't been updated to cover that it is now supposed to act with analogue servos as well as original set-up of digitals. So I hope I get the later version as I don't use digitals.

I am also building a ramp and bungee launcher ........ no more worries of prop bite .. reliable launching ... no need for helper ...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:04 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
This : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15318 weighs 8gr ... has programmable capabilities etc. Combined with http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6321 at 4gr .....

?? Similar total weight, but total price is approx 1/4 total of your 2 gyros.

I am concerned about one aspect though ... the manual and page hasn't been updated to cover that it is now supposed to act with analogue servos as well as original set-up of digitals. So I hope I get the later version as I don't use digitals.

I am also building a ramp and bungee launcher ........ no more worries of prop bite .. reliable launching ... no need for helper ...
and no need for gyro's
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:14 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
and no need for gyro's
Hopefully true - but as we know until this baby gets up speed and wing works - she will death roll. All the vids show EDF's / Pushers going of the ramps still at low speed ... so I want the gyro to add the cream on top of the cake ...

Lets say a double safe way to get a good launch.

I'm also interested to explore this gyro aspect. My big gas powered biplane had a terrible stall tendency when power was shut off ... we tried all the standard remedies but nothing seemed to cure it. We then had a servo fail which may have been the reason. Anyway - when it all gets back together again - i would like a gyro to help in case it has that kangaroo / stall tendency again - but this time gyro will be working pitch, not roll.

Youtube :

Skymaster maiden 29 oct 2011.wmv (12 min 6 sec)

i want to keep the sensitivity of the model as it's for shows and displays ... full on aerobatics. So anything that makes it even safer but lets me still "tear the wings off" ... is fine by me.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
solentlife;

i hear ya, me and my grandpa both have AJ 3d slick 42". He has a gyro on all axis and mines has none. i can fly pretty hard 3d on mines but when i fly his its like night and day... almost like its on rails seriously, 15mph wind has no effect.

for all that havent worked with gyros on airplanes, mix gyro gain with throttle, because when u speed up u want less gyro input or else you will end up with a over-correction that will flutter the control surface horribly and is sometimes hard to see from the air. less throttle more gain, more throttle less gain.
Last edited by morris.hans; Mar 20, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:41 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
So how would you adjust gyro gains through Tx mixing?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
So how would you adjust gyro gains through Tx mixing?
Surely the gyro sense channel will still adjust ?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:32 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,845 Posts
Out flying my park jet today after putting balsa elevons, it might be just me, but it seemed more responsive on the controls ?.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:31 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris.hans View Post
solentlife;

i hear ya, me and my grandpa both have AJ 3d slick 42". He has a gyro on all axis and mines has none. i can fly pretty hard 3d on mines but when i fly his its like night and day... almost like its on rails seriously, 15mph wind has no effect.

for all that havent worked with gyros on airplanes, mix gyro gain with throttle, because when u speed up u want less gyro input or else you will end up with a over-correction that will flutter the control surface horribly and is sometimes hard to see from the air. less throttle more gain, more throttle less gain.
seriously Gyro's on a proper 3d plane.......come on man,that's just plain wrong.I really don't mean to be rude or sadistic,but maybe then fly something less advanced.gyro's are for heli's,not meant for planes
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:48 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
seriously Gyro's on a proper 3d plane.......come on man,that's just plain wrong.I really don't mean to be rude or sadistic,but maybe then fly something less advanced.gyro's are for heli's,not meant for planes
It may surprise you but according to quite a few online reviews - gyros are more common on 3D that I ever imagined ... and the reviews all say it improves 3D significantly.

To me objecting to Gyro on a plane is like objecting to the introduction of automatic gearbox to cars .... some like manual (I raced cars many years ago and that is my preference), but some like automatic ... each to their own.

I am wanting to fit the mini MEMS gyro to my PKJ ... and I believe i will enjoy my PKJ even more with it. I am looking at fitting another to my big biplane - to help with oversensitive that I want for extreme aerobatics. I may even fit to my Ultimate EP ... Oh Dear ! the mans gone mad !!