HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,395 Posts
Can anyone list the throws they use on elevons ? ie

Amount of reflex (up at neutral) with normal motor position

Amount of travel up / down (mm or inches preferred .... not degrees) in both full and reduced dual rates ... aileron only, elevtor only and combined ?

Any Expo dialed in ? Different Expo with D/R ?

Think this would be great for all to see how much people have set into their PKJ's .... (me I'm wanting to know average so I can dial mine in !)
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:08 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Resurrected

Brought it into the boiling jacuzzi again , and plenty of gluing later, it's back to life once more. Not as pretty as before, so will need some spa rejuvenation another time. Managed a few short test flights today to try out my new 9x settings. Will definitely be shifting the motor mount to the axis (thanks Jpette, now it all makes sense to me why it has the tendency to nosedive at launch).
AngryBirdie is offline Find More Posts by AngryBirdie
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:22 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Can anyone list the throws they use on elevons ? ie

Amount of reflex (up at neutral) with normal motor position

Amount of travel up / down (mm or inches preferred .... not degrees) in both full and reduced dual rates ... aileron only, elevtor only and combined ?

Any Expo dialed in ? Different Expo with D/R ?

Think this would be great for all to see how much people have set into their PKJ's .... (me I'm wanting to know average so I can dial mine in !)
It's easier for me to show my throws rather than measuring them
Throw.MOV (0 min 21 sec)

They are newly setup with my 9x.
Ailerons are on 65% expo, elevators are 20%.
Here's a short flight with these settimgs today-
2s after ressurection (big brother jet came to say hello at the end) (0 min 58 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:39 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Here a close look at my motor mount :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...5pcs_bag_.html

First attach the motor to the base plate with screws .Spacing is standard 16x19mm pattern .

The motor axe enters inside the hollow base and to prevent the axe rubbing on the plastic, I had to add a bolt between base plate and motor

Then, the base plate enters in the stick by force and is secured by the tiny screw on the stick .

If you wanna change the motor, you just need to keep an access to that tiny screw , nothing more .

A Don's wicked motor or the one I listed bolt right on the plate but with a Turnigy motor, you should first reverse the shaft and probably use a larger spacer between base plate and motor .

Hopefully it helps
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Jpette,
Are you using the stock thrust line? Just set the mount in place?

No problems with prop damage? I wonder if a skid ahead of the motor plate would help.

What do I see going into the fuse right in front of the mount plate?

I've got to start my 2nd Parkjet build and I have your mounts here already so I plan to give it a shot.

Need a motor though. If anyone can post links to motors in the US, would appreciate it.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,578 Posts
Did you guys use the glue that comes with the kit?
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice View Post
Did you guys use the glue that comes with the kit?
I didn't use the supplied glue as I read that it isn't strong. Instead, I used this for gluing EPO foam and it has held up very well for all my repairs on this jet so far. For my stick mount, I used 30 min epoxy.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,649 Posts
thanks jpette
gchrisgo34 is online now Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:02 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Jpette,
Are you using the stock thrust line? Just set the mount in place?

No problems with prop damage? I wonder if a skid ahead of the motor plate would help.

What do I see going into the fuse right in front of the mount plate?

I've got to start my 2nd Parkjet build and I have your mounts here already so I plan to give it a shot.

Need a motor though. If anyone can post links to motors in the US, would appreciate it.
Yeah I did use the stock thrust line and glued the stick with Polyurethan glue ( Gorilla like) .
I don't know about prop damages at landing cause I am flying on soft snow on an icy lake . That is for you to check but hopefully the plane is quite light and a bit of grass could be enough .

Man if you want a good motor, get a Don's wicked 3000 KV if you plan to stay on 3 cells or even better a 2700 kV on 4 cells .

http://www.donsrc.com/cart/index.php...d&productId=12

Otherwise, I would advise you the motor I listed before but that is in UK .

They have a KEDA 59g 2700 kV that is a beast on 3 cells : 450 W with a 6x5.5 prop .
The one I use which is the 71g 2700 has a lower Kv than advertised but is perfect for 4 cells .
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:20 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,395 Posts
I tried the supplied glue only on the stick mount ... as a test ...

The structural joints - I used 5 min Epoxy ... my standard building glue for foam. (I like PVA wood glue for traditional balsa models as it's good holding but not rock hard when set).

The stick mount after a few test runs started to show movement ..... and it was obvious the glue where it stays flexible is a good shock absorber but useless as a structural compound. It didn't take much to pull the mount out ... and after cleaning up, scoring a few grooves / nicks into the wood for glue to 'bite' into - it was 5 min Epoxied back in ... it is now locked in !

Thanks for vids Angrybirdie ... but still a few points not cleared up ....

What reflex are people using ? (that is the neutral point ...)

D/R settings ?

My settings (without maiden) are :

Elevators : (neutral is set up 1mm measured at inner T/E)

Full rate Up / Down .... 8mm
Reduced rate Up / Down .... 5mm

Ailerons

Full rate Up / Down .... 9mm
Reduced rate Up / Down .... 4mm

Combined no movement on full deflected surface ... other surface deflects to max of above movements ... (depending on which way to turn / pitch)

I really would like to know how these fair with other people .....
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Hi is this the original motor? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_3000kv.html
Rabbern is offline Find More Posts by Rabbern
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbern View Post
Yes its the one on the MkII version, I bought it seperately with a 30A esc and currently running it on 2s, wich gives plenty of power for normal flying. On 3s it hould be a rocket but no experience with that yet.

I have only had 10-15 flights so I don't know if durability is that good, but its working great so far :-)

Grtz, Thomas
TheThomass is offline Find More Posts by TheThomass
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
I think i will buy this one and a plush 30 amp esc, when the plush is back. With an cloud and some thing ... i new Flying a Champ almost everyday to get it in my fingers xD
Rabbern is offline Find More Posts by Rabbern
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbern View Post
I think i will buy this one and a plush 30 amp esc, when the plush is back. With an cloud and some thing ... i new Flying a Champ almost everyday to get it in my fingers xD
Are you new to flying? :-)
Because it's not easy to get the parkjet in the sky, even flying it is pretty hard for a beginner

Grtz, Thomas
TheThomass is offline Find More Posts by TheThomass
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:06 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Flights with lowered motor

Lowered the motor to level with the stick mount using some leftover kapaline board.

Then some flights yesterday all launched Frisbee-style to avoid being cut by the lowered propeller blades. The nosedive problem at launch seemed to have disappeared and I didn't even have do any elevator trim upwards or angle the throws upwards much. Whether it was purely due to the lowered motor position or also due to the change in my throwing style I don't know (previously all my launches were made by holding on the grip holes).
Motor levelled 2s (1 min 30 sec)

Motor levelled, 2s, closeby rough landing (0 min 53 sec)

But I'm surely sticking to the launching it this way even though I'm still not quite used to it yet. Occasionally, I would forget not to spin it like a frisbee while throwing and bloopers like this would happen.
Frisbee-style throw error (0 min 7 sec)

More flying meant more crashes and once the canopy became too weak and shattered to provide any resistance against bending on a hard crash, the fuselage broke into 2 again.