HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal_22 View Post
I`m a lefty and i i understand mode one is throttle rudder on the left?
Anyone left handed i suggest learning to fly in that configuration. SOO much easier to launch

Mal
Mode 2 is throttle / rudder left stick
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:06 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,001 Posts
Canards ?

Has anyone considered following full size practice on deltas and thought of canards on a Parkjet ?

Full size use them to counter some aspects of deltas and also to increase manouevrability .........

I wonder if they - even fixed version - would assit with launches ... carraige of larger packs .... CoG etc. ?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:20 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBirdie View Post
Over the last 2 days I finally flew (and crashed ) it in its "pristine" skin. So here's some clips of the flights, and pics of the aftermath.

Day Before Yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaT15_JWpSc
Aftermath (note: wings and stabilizers are detachable on my setup, not a consequence of crashing, in case you are those who might be wondering )

Fixed things up in the evening with boiling water, foam glue, epoxy filler (a deep dent on the 'bolt' damage of the wing), black marker, and replaced the broken servo.

Yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oiKtB2As74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6RKJPYy0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnEzVcX-Gm0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKJMv2PCQ0A
Aftermath

Not sure if I can fix it back pretty this time , but I'm hopeful. It's gonna take a while though.

Some thoughts -
Analyzing those heavy crashes in the videos, I think I've been flying too far and also not taking enough precaution to avoid flying into the bright side of the sky (even though sun was behind clouds). Every time I loose sight of it's orientation, my heart would skip a beat for the make-or-break moment. It was quite a blast-while-it -last experience.

The weakest part of the plane seems to be the canopy, which always breaks before anything else, so I'm gonna reinforce it somehow (that is, if I can get the broken fuselage back in one piece first )
We Need to send a canopy To Gary and get hime to make some out of the stuff he makes Rarebearcowls from
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Another gloriously painted PJ just crashed :)

Remember my shooting stars color scheme? haha, friendly weather arrived at last, so I went out for a maiden flight... Oops, this models with the high-power setup, is a lot more difficult to fly (hand-launch to be precise) than I thought it would be.
It just headed straight to the ground after not more than a few feet in the air. I guess it didn't have enough air-speed for the high wing-loading...

Any ideas?
amba is offline Find More Posts by amba
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amba View Post
Remember my shooting stars color scheme? haha, friendly weather arrived at last, so I went out for a maiden flight... Oops, this models with the high-power setup, is a lot more difficult to fly (hand-launch to be precise) than I thought it would be.
It just headed straight to the ground after not more than a few feet in the air. I guess it didn't have enough air-speed for the high wing-loading...

Any ideas?
Chuck it at least 45 degrees upwards, but really hard, with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (see video below). Good luck with the repair, hope you get it airborne next time.
Andy

HobbyKing Park Jet (2 min 34 sec)
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:30 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Amba, I can feel your pain just looking at the pics of the paint damage.

I was not able to have any launch success at all when I was still using a 4.1x4.1prop. But then, I was also on a much weaker motor (2300kV) than yours, so it's hard to say if the prop could be the culprit especially since other factors also play a part. Also, looking at the location of the damages, seems like it crashed mostly in an inverted position? Did it roll and dived to the ground at the same time?
AngryBirdie is offline Find More Posts by AngryBirdie
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,001 Posts
While building the PKJ .... noted the designed lines ...

The wing is actually at quite a positive angle compared to the fuselage ... a pronounced droop of front fuz in fact ....... I wonder how much this influences the launching ?

A mod that I will be making - is to fit the aileron control rods above the wing and not under ... it's what I did for my T45 and works a treat with no snagging in the grass etc.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Thanks Andy for the advice.
I'll use it. I guess I'll also try harder to find someone around here who's more experienced with high speed, hand-launched models to test it for me.

AngryBirdie, it's hard to tell. I think 4.1x4.1 should be fine, it pulled 30A static, and, the second attempt i used 4.75x4.75...
I think it rolled a little, but it was really hard to tell. Everything was happening so fast ...

Cheers
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
I think it rolled a little, but it was really hard to tell. Everything was happening so fast ...
Cheers
Wearing a pair of shades mounted with one of these has been of tremendous help in the analysis of my failed launches -
The 808 #16 Micro HD Cam (21 min 43 sec)

AngryBirdie is offline Find More Posts by AngryBirdie
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
122 Posts
Quote:

Any ideas?

Well I have the same mount and have had several failed launches, untill I started launching it at only 30% throttle (or even less) because the motor really pushes it into the ground. You could throw steeper and harder but as long as you give full throttle it will keep diving...

My good launches were at a 25° (or 30°) angle, medium hard toss with 30% power, once I get my hands on my controls I throttle up and pull up :-)

My paint hasn't lasted too long either, now one of my servo's acts weird so once I have the time I'll remove them both and make holes in the wings so nothing sticks out underneath.

Grtz, Thomas
TheThomass is offline Find More Posts by TheThomass
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Thomas, this makes a lot of sense.
I kind of "had a feeling" launching WOT may be not such a great idea.. but had none near me to tell me advice either way, so I just took my best shot

Will probably take me a few weeks to repair and have good weather again, for yet another attempt...

Folks also told me to try and find soft grass field for my attempts, for some peculiar reason they think it may be a better idea than doing this on asphalt ... duh

I wish I had one of these nearby ...

Foam pit fun (1 min 20 sec)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Hi Guys

Have been following this thread for a while and I finally got to fly mine succesfully today.

First I was using some HXT-500 servos that are so loosy that the plane couldn't fly straight till I changed them for some HXT-900 which are rock solid .

I can tell you guys that your hanlaunches problems come from the higer position of your motor above the wing .

I never had a plane so easy to handlaunch either half or full throttle, this plane just leave the hand perfectly straight and with no torque at all .

Look at the pictures showing the position of the motor flush with the wing that doesn't have any tendency to pitch down and that is with over 400W !

I am using that 70g 2700kV motor :

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/2217-2700k...-p-402979.html

A Mystery 40A ESC and a 4.75x4.75 APC prop shows static :

3S-Rhino-1050-30C : 21.5A for 246 W

4S-Turnigy-1000-30C : 28.5A for 390W

The plane flew really beautifully on 3 and 4 cells and although it already had plenty of speed on 3 cells, the 4 cells battery make a monster out of it .

Not exactly as fast as my RareBear but not far from it .

I finally tried it with a nano-tech 4S-1000-45C pack and man, that was fast !!!

Didn't check the amps on that batt. but for sure I was above 400 W .

I didn't reinforced the fuse except for a flat carbon spar on the elevons .
The plane didn't seem to flex so I don't really know if it's necessary .

That plane is a real blast !! Much more fun than a regular Stryker that feels like a pig compared to this one even with twice as much power .

That plane could carry much more weight cause launching was so easy and it felt really agile with the CG a few mm after the finger holes.
I didn't try it but if I could fit a 4S 1300 pack in it, I could push it to 500 W .

Remenber guys, lower your motor and you won't ever miss a launch .
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
Hey Jpette, what is the base diameter on that motor mount? is it 1.5"? ive been wanting to order that mount, but was'nt sure if my motor would mount up properly. ive been wondering how it all connects together. are you still able to remove the motor easily? it looks like you've got the x-mount behind the plate. is there any way you could take some pictures that shows how that stick mount works? thanks
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Thanks Jpette, this is very helpful, I'll try during re-build of the plane I crashed
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
The base is the small one at 24 mm only and no X plate necessary .

I"ll make a post with pictures tomorrow cause too busy by now but you would need to reverse the shaft if you were using a Turnigy motor .
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Last edited by Jpette; Feb 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM.