HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2011, 06:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I have the larger version of this plane that HobbyKing calls the "SkyFun". It's really a great aircraft and I'm considering getting the ParkJet as well.
Does anybody have both of them and like both equally well?
I'm flying mine with 3S 1500 cells and an upgraded motor and ESC, along with a larger prop. It's fairly light with this setup and is easy to fly and land.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 11:35 PM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
I've been looking at the skyfun as plan b. its in the USA warehouse, and the parkjet will take forever to get over here from china.
the skyfun videos didn't look as fun as the parkjet, but I've got a power set up that would fit it better.
have you guys found anything similar the the parkjet or skyfun for under $100? I really don't want to buy from hobbyking.
antihero138 is offline Find More Posts by antihero138
Old May 19, 2011, 02:01 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Antihero.I will relly recommend the parkjet.the motor that comes with it really performs.I would chuck the servos though.I put in Corona 1.8kkg MG p like $3.5 each.shipping from the international warehose is like $25 so its still under $100. And you will have enndless fun.i
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old May 19, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I know what you mean about HK, antihero. I bought the receiver-ready version of the SkyFun from the USA warehouse. I easily lost any delivery advantage because of how long it took me to fix everything that was wrong with it out of the box. I ended up totally stripping it down and replacing the power system (and hinges, motor mount screws etc etc.).
So you should probably just get whichever size kit will suit you best and modify it to your own taste.
If you do have a motor you want to add to a Skyfun, keep in mind the motor mount will not accept all "28mm" diameter motors on the front of the mount (the normal SkyFun motor position) without binding. Some mounts and motors will fit, others won't. The stock SkyFun motor is a little under 26mm in diameter. When I changed to a 28mm motor I had to attach it to the rear of the motor mount.
The ParkJet motor mount always has the motor on the rear of the mount so there's no chance of a clearance issue with motor diameter.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old May 24, 2011, 01:05 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
here are some more pics.sorr for the bad focus on the pic of the motor mount.just wanted to give an idea of what i did to strengthen it.as yo all can see the C/F rods i addes to the control surfaces to reduce flex in turns
Last edited by chop stiX; May 24, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:54 AM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
yeah I will definitely be reinforcing the motor mount.
I've read that the latest batch of parkjets are shipping with a better motor and 20 amp esc. I hope this is the case because that 10 amp esc isn't going to last long on a 3s pack.
Old May 24, 2011, 05:44 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
funny enough we checked this wkd on the watt meter mine only draws 10.6 A on 3s with the 4.75x4.75 prop.but hey i know there is no chance of burning my esc lol alot of the guys changed the motor mounts drasticly,but i thought it would be too much effort,so all i did was use 1.5 mm ply that i cut to fit on the motor mount slot,used 3 servorscrew and epoxy.the made z-bends on my 1.5 mm piano wire i used to fit onto the 2 hole on the mount,epoxied,and the 45 deg bends going into slots i cut in the foam,and slapped some epoxy over.havn't had any problem at all.check them now and then but that mount aint going nowhere unless i plant it well an upgraded motor should be cool.be sure to order a 2.3mm prop adapter as well from HK,i battled to get one here in SA and after searching almost every hobbyshop,i ordered one.think it was like $1.80 or something rediculious like that.got to love HK,they have made flying so much more affordable,cus hobbyshops just rip us off.Look i know the okes are trying to make a living,but here in SA they absolutely kill us.
Antihero-have you decided if u going to get one yet?i'll make a vid on the weekend and post it for you,so you can see what i get out of mine on the stock motor
Old May 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
yup, it just shipped. its been awhile since I've had a fun little plane that I could toss around. I'm really looking forward to it.

I actually try to support my local hobby shops when I can, at least the mom and pop ones. unfortunately they will never be able to compete with online stores as far as prices go on batteries and stuff like that
Old May 24, 2011, 08:11 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Unfortunately here its almost impossibe,we get so ripped off.so I only get urgent stuff from them.cool well glad you got yourself one.you won't be dissapointed!post some pics once its finished.are you planning on sticking to the supplied decals,or something of your own?
Old Jun 02, 2011, 04:17 PM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
got mine in the mail today. I can confirm that it comes with a 20amp esc now. not sure if the motor is different?
Old Jun 02, 2011, 06:26 PM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
quick question. is there a thrust angle built into the motor mount? mine is angled, but it seems a bit too much.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:12 AM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
hey guys.
yes there is a thrust angle built in and it does seem weird but it works just fine with out any funky throttle pitching. Now the best part, HK heard all the complaints of this thing not having enough power. The motor and ESC are much bigger. the ECS on the V1 was a 10Amp and the motor was a 22mm. Now the V2 has a 20Amp and a 28mm can motor! here are some pics of the new system. Expect my take on the new power system on hobbykinglive on youtube soon!

Don
Name: PJ motors.jpg
Views: 191
Size: 84.8 KB
Description: V1 on the left
V2 on the right
Hobbyking ParkJet motors
Name: powersystem on PJ.jpg
Views: 184
Size: 200.9 KB
Description: New V2 power system for Hobbyking's Parkjet
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:37 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
damn thats awsome!i must say i gave absolutely no problem with power.mine gets away quick and easy.but i'm glad they upgraded it a little.
don't know about the servo's though.if they are the same 2.5g servo's i would deffinitely change them though.happy building and flying
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:03 PM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
just had my maiden, or what could be considered a maiden attempt or 50 attempts. I could not get this thing in the air. every launch it either rolled or spun out in a tail slide. I've got all my surfaces nice and true but it just wouldn't fly. I think the torque from the motor was giving me some problems.

at least this little plane can take a beating, I'm not exaggerating I had atleast 50 crashes and everything is fine except on the last one the motor mount broke.

whats a good cg to shoot for? I tried using the finger holes but that seems way tail heavy,unless it was just the motor mounts thrust angle that was pitching the plane in a weird direction making it seem tail heavy
Last edited by antihero138; Jun 04, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:16 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Damn sorry to hear bud?ok quick question,what prop have u got on?if u used the stock 5x5 there is 70% of your problem.change it to a 4.75x4.75 use the finger holes and let it be slightly nose heavy.this plane is extremely CG sensitive.what lipo are you using?that's really wierd,all the guys that I've heard say it doesn't want to fly used the stcock 5x5 prop and it just does not want that.true about the beating I was abit hungover a couple of weeks ago and my eyes and fingers didn't quite work together and I plonked it quite hard.good luck man hope u can get it airborn.maybe see if someone can launch for u as that helps too,to get on the sticks quicker.when launchimg only give about 20 degrees of angle