Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:18 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I asked him in another thread.
He's home but dealing with cold weather and frozen ground for the launcher.
Detailed answer here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3625
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:20 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Someone's made a pusher from a Screamer.

Anxious for details.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3669
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:32 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBusenitz View Post
We are still waiting for the PJ-Twin....
Come on Nigel, get it in the air.
The ground is so hard - I cannot drive the stakes in to lock the launcher down. Its the only way I consider safe to launch her. And there is no way I will ask anyone to hand launch with two mincers turning 30k at back !!

I'm trying as wind conditions are ideal ... near calm, but weather is -10 at night ... -5 in day ...

I also want my pal to video the event and that means weekend - when he's not working.

I am trying ...... but I may have to wait for the thaw !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:06 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,253 Posts
take a cordless with an drill holes in the ice
Where there's a will there's way
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:02 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Too late now - winds piping up ... but luckily today is Friday .. hoping that tmrw will be better ... mmmm just looked - marginally better with Sunday best ...

I want to maiden a couple of other models as well ....

Nigel
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bisley
Joined Oct 2010
84 Posts
Nigel, you must have lots of models, you always have a few in your car boot in your vids.
Good luck with your day of maidening.
I have trouble keeping my hangar down to four planes but moving to a bigger house soon means I can have a couple more and proper work shed to build in.
ledzep76 is offline Find More Posts by ledzep76
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:49 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Went flying today ... took :

50mm EDF T45
64mm EDF T45
ME109
Qbee
Cessna 182

and Parkjet Twin

But wind was gusting and not a good day for flying ....... flew the Cessna and Qbee .... called it quits.

Tomorrow looks much better .... so fingers crossed PKJ Twin gets its maiden.

Nigel
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:13 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
PKJ Twin ..... tried - but she drove herself along the ground ... just couldn't get her to lift.

Problem is the launch has to be without power ..... and by time reaction to exit ramps - she's already skidding on the ground.

She's repaired and I will try again ...

Vid to follow....

Nigel
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:35 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,920 Posts
Sorry to read of your maiden woes but I'm sure you will figure out a way to get her in the air.
Perhaps you need a JATO like these guys
HIGH QUALITY Blue Angels Clips 3 - BRIGHT JATO high-performance short distance takeoff (0 min 38 sec)

Add a couple of Estes Rocket Motors and your in business
On a more practical note, have you thought of re-visiting the launch dolly idea?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=la...w=1280&bih=677
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Last edited by headlessagain; Mar 24, 2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:12 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Sorry to read of your maiden woes but I'm sure you will figure out a way to get her in the air......
On a more practical note, have you thought of re-visiting the launch dolly idea?........Andy
Needs good surface which we don't have at moment .... But it could be the answer ... I'm wondering if a dolly could work on the bungee ramp ... then I can power up - also have it at right angle ....

The model sits with nose significantly pitched down to near horizontal on the ramp ... losing the advantage of ramp angle.

A dolly would need to be wider than the prop arcs combined ----- if it was narrower - you run risk of blade strike ....

mmmmmmmmmm Trouble is now I haven't any smaller contra props to try today ...

Nigel
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:11 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Here's the launch vid of the PKJ twin ..............

HK Parkjet Twin maiden try launch disaster (6 min 42 sec)

Nigel
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bisley
Joined Oct 2010
84 Posts
That's a real shame Nigel. Where do you hook your bungee onto the plane? I know from bungee launching my old 2 metre glider that hook position is quite important. This is going back 15 years. It was a heavy beast to bungee. About 1.5kg.
Too far forward and it won't lift as the weight of the bungee overcomes the power of the elevator. Too far back and it will nose up , stall, and if I was lucky do a half loop. I did pile it in once though.
The sweet spot was just in front of the c of g.
ledzep76 is offline Find More Posts by ledzep76
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:32 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep76 View Post
That's a real shame Nigel. Where do you hook your bungee onto the plane? I know from bungee launching my old 2 metre glider that hook position is quite important. This is going back 15 years. It was a heavy beast to bungee. About 1.5kg.
Too far forward and it won't lift as the weight of the bungee overcomes the power of the elevator. Too far back and it will nose up , stall, and if I was lucky do a half loop. I did pile it in once though.
The sweet spot was just in front of the c of g.
I know what you mean ... I used to do a lot of thermal soaring before. Then it was recc'd to have hook at 60% dist nose to CoG.

But on power models like the PKJ - I've found it better to be about 40% ... basically because now you have power to bring her up as you want. With the glider you needed the bungee to assist the elevator ...

I've launched PKJ1 plenty similar - but this twin has the problem that props cannot turn till she's clear of ramp.

Nigel
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:33 PM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Here's the launch vid of the PKJ twin ..............
Unlucky Nigel, looks like you got the power on immediately it left the ramp, and for just a brief second she looked like she was going to fly. Just a bit more height and you'd have been wrestling the little beasty round the sky with a huge grin on your face.

Onwards and upwards mate, hope the damage wasn't too bad. Got a hill you can put the ramp at the top of? Or some longer pipe in the front?

Keep us updated, that thing looks awesome!
crashnstick is offline Find More Posts by crashnstick
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:44 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
She's all ready to go again apart from I have no more contra 4.75 props !! I was sure I bought a bunch of them ... but seems not.

I have some 5x5's contra - so will crop those back to 4.5 .... should be interesting ... 4.5 x 5 !

Yes - she appears to be going to fly - but like I say - I just couldn't get her to rise ...
I have to admit that I had control movements dialled down to tiny ... so maybe I should have had more and just switch to reduced once in air ... My PKJ1 - I used to launch on flight settings - tiny movement, but of course she launched with power on.

Nigel