HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:35 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
I use various video options ..... as well as the V3 Eagletree.

The V3 - I've cartwheeled, buried the nose in the dirt at speed ... the tube has survived well. But I do not 'lock' the tube in place. It can push back if hit. i only use a piece of double side tape to keep in place through a hole in fuselage nose.

The one problem I did have was the joint of inner to outer tube at the V ....... I repaired mine with epoxy and it's much stronger now.

My videos are :
a) Keychain camera on baseball caop peak by velcro.... about $3 a pop
b) Headband mounted camera .... about $20
c) Similar to keycam but in a reactangle body and pivoting mount .. about $8
d) Digicam with side screen .... about $60
e) Sony handycam 8mm .... bought years ago when they were all the rage !
f) Fujifilm Camera

Which is best ? The Sony 8mm by a long way. It's zoom, focus, picture quality is far away better than even the 12mega Digicam ...
Second ? Has to be the Fujifilm still camera in vid mode.
The rest are all similar with a) b), c) all suffering lack of wide angle and also no zoom .. even when model is close - it still looks miles away. d) the Digicam suffers from screen - you cannot see what's on it a sunny day !

My most often used is the keycam on the baseball cap. It's the easiest. The Sony is usually when my pal Andrejs is there ... he has a knack with it of being able to follow anything I fly ... and zoom in at times ! His vids of my T45 are simply brill. For the PKJ - I also use the V3 sensor to back up the doppler vid.

Point to note for anyone thinking to go this route

When flying - the head is usually turned slightly ahead of the direct line to the model when passing. So camera can lose the model to one side - even though you think you are straight on to it. It's natural as you instictively 'lead' the model with the eye. To counter this is actually very difficult ! The real advantage of any of above is really in the Doppler ...

This leads onto another point : To doppler well - you need a flat straight run at steady throttle. Direct to ... overhead ... direct line away ... ALL in a straight line is best as this gives the exact doppler shift to and away from microphone. But flying overhead at such speed is prone to disaster ! So the best practical way is to set a line with the wind along the flight line ahead of you. You should be at full throtttle at start of run ... keep a straight line, level and steady for as long as possible ... passing in front and well past .... Not turn or throttle changes.

I tested a video other day and the straight clear run was 160kph .... another part of the video where the run cuts short with a REDUCTION of throttle and banked hard turn out ... app gave 244kph !! But it was obvious the speed was same as other run.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:53 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Has this one been suggested yet?
A little pricey but it's something...
Made for RocHobby by FMS.
Wingspan: 675mm / 26.8in
Fuse and wings are a single piece.
Rods on top.
Holds 3s 2200's.
Fair supply of spare parts.

Standard
http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-swi...ard-speed-arf/

High Speed
http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-swift-high-speed-arf/

Not so sure about this:
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:53 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Interesting that they state "All the RocHobby planes are manufactured by FMS" I wonder if this is the replacement that HK plan to stock?
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:49 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Interesting that they state "All the RocHobby planes are manufactured by FMS" I wonder if this is the replacement that HK plan to stock?
Andy
If it is,then we're in for a treat I think,and will be MUCH cheaper
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:31 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
RC Castle also stock this model http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2897. "this product was added to our catalog on Monday 10 December, 2012" so it's a newish model
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:50 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
You can order the body parts for about $60. Motor mount and skid are OOS though.

Flew PJ2, Screamer and Neptune yesterday.
That's a fine trio of planes.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:40 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
I'm pretty sold on this http://decals.rcgroups.com/adclick.p...%3FcPath%3D121
it's fairly cheap and I reckon a fairly easy pusher conversion to do
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:48 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I've been wnodering if anyone would try the Screamer.
It flies great for sure at stock weight.
You could put the esc in the intake for cooling and reaching CG.
I just test fit a 3s 2200 40c Sky Lipo and it fits the cockpit perfectly laying with it's wide side down.
So a Compact 2200 4s would fit for sure. It's almost like it was made for that size. Strange.
The bottom of the canopy would need a little clearancing though to close.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:31 AM
Joined Dec 2011
134 Posts
Hi guys, this is my third and last parkjet. It has survived many crashes. Based on my experience with the 2 previous kits, I reinforced the fuselage with 3/8" plywood which I glued at the battery bay and inserted a 6mm square carbon rod along the wings. Not so fast with the Turnigy 2508a/3500kv motor but now is much more stable since I added the orange 3-axis stabilizer and changed from the Flysky/Turnigy tx/rx (losing signal and crashing alot since I fly near repeater towers) to the Frsky system.

Here's a short video with moderate winds

EPO Parkjet Hobbyking Gopro Hero 2 Protune Fast (2 min 40 sec)
sonnydc is offline Find More Posts by sonnydc
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:04 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
hi Sonny .....

Doppler on that vid gives max 137kph .... which with a 4.1 x 4.1 and 3s is not bad ... similar to about max you can get from stock if you push the prop up to about 5x5 ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:10 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
hi Sonny .....

Doppler on that vid gives max 137kph .... which with a 4.1 x 4.1 and 3s is not bad ... similar to about max you can get from stock if you push the prop up to about 5x5 ...

Nigel
my PJ MK1 with the tiny motor on 4.75x4.75 gets 124km/h on the doppler
damn I need time to start on PJ2
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
134 Posts
Thanks, i have used the cloudsfly replacement motor before paired with a 5x5 prop and it gives a lot more thrust but after some time, the magnets came loose. Cheap motor upgrade but also cheap in quality.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:33 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
sonny has a SkyFun going too if anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=962

Hey sonny, does the gyro slow your rolls? One thing I love about the PJ, fantastic fast rolls.
I've got a couple of v1's and v2's. Just haven't tried them yet.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
134 Posts
Yes it does slows the rolls. The thing i liked about the 3-axis stabilizer is the way it maintains the plane's attitude specially in fly-by's and very high winds. I fly mostly in the afternoons where the winds are at their peak.

The stabilizer has an on/off switch through the auxiliary channel but I haven't tried it yet.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:21 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Hi sonny
is it the mk 2 version of the 3-axis stabilizer that you running and does it help keep the model level at launch speeds?
Andy