HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by target, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:40 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
Happy to help, let me know if you have more questions.
RDS is a bit scary on the first install, but not bad after its done.
I'm not 100% convinced that it is the way to go for flap installs that need plenty of travel,
though. Time will tell....

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:57 PM
Chile, Región Metropolitana, Santiago
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
Extasy in Chile

Hi Target

I flew my Extasy last week end with 700g balast training for this week end second F3b contest. The model is just great! It just becomes faster keeping the good flying mood.
What about yours?

Andres
Acordova is online now Find More Posts by Acordova
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:44 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
Hi Andres,
I haven't had it out except for a few launches on both mono and off a TD winch with braided stuff. And I used it at Torrey Pines for light air on the F3F course. It faired pretty well for F3F in light conditions.

I will get to do a full day of F3B with it on the 30th, at the F3B Clinic my friend Kyle Paulson is hosting at California Valley. REALLY looking forward to it!

I will report back after that.

Oh, and I have a ballast tube that holds 9 x 13mm diameter x 28mm long slugs of Tungsten, to add to the fuse. That ballast weighs 20 oz (565g)!

R,
Target
Old May 01, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
How was it yesterday?
What a chance getting to such a flying clinic.
I wanted to ask you about a tiny problem I have with one flap from the Extasy. I have to "recenter" it quite often and is always the same one. Could this be a problem with "RDS"?
thanks
Andres
Old May 01, 2011, 11:34 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
Hi, Andres!

Extasy launched great and pulled hard.
A highlight is that I did speed run, and when circling outside the course, worked a small
thermal and made it back up to launch height- Fully Ballasted! So, I got to make two
speed runs from one launch.
I also worked a bump at base B on a distance run, and made 3-4 legs more than I should
have on my poorly flown distance run. The others watching were amazed.

Disassemble your RDS on the suspect one, and look closely in the pocket.
Old May 01, 2011, 05:46 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
Adding to my short cell phone post yesterday, regarding double centering-

Please take the RDS components out of the wing (Servo, torque shaft), and check the fit of the wiper rod in the pocket, but by hand and from the out side of the wing, with the flap surface deflected.
Check for tight spots, making sure the bend in the wiper is even with the hinge line.

It could be a tight spot, or a bit of epoxy that entered the pocket during the wing layup. Use a bright flashlight to help you look in there.
If you find something in there, it could be causing the bind.

Alternately, make certain that the bend in the wiper when the servos are installed is in the correct position, near the hinge line.

Please report your findings.

R,
Target
Old May 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
I finally found some time to check it.
Everything looked perfect in the pocket and the only thing was that the shaft. As you mentioned the bend was a little forward from the hinge line.
I was flying this afternoon and there was no problem at all. So the shaft position was the the point.
The Extasy flew wonderful. The atmosphere was very calm, we had some rain last night and almost 20 ºC with no wind today...... I made some 18 minutes thermaling around..... Then I proved the recommended settings for all conditions and I'm finally ready for the next competition on june 11th.
Thanks again

Andres
Last edited by Acordova; May 22, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:49 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
I wish they made a 3.6-3.8m Extasy for F3J; that thing just thermals so well, it's like cheating!

When I get back from offshore, I will move my CG back a couple mm to 100mm, and also add the ballast tube to the fuse that will hold 20oz in tungsten.

R,
Target
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:13 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
I have moved the CG to 100mm, and have to say I like the plane even better there.

At this time, my plane is disassembled to install the ballast tube I was talking about. It has been installed, and I also want to change it over to my JR 11x, and the Spektrum 2.4G system.
I will post pictures upon completetion.

R,
Target
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:22 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
Added pics of the add-on fuse ballast tube, in the first post of this thread. Adds 20oz to the plane, now the total weight can be up to 130oz, or 3700g, and keeps CG at 100-99mm.

Converted to 2.4 also.

R,
Target
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:11 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
After flying the Extasy for a while, I have to say that it seems to launch really well, is very slippery (covers distance well with little added weight), and thermals fantastically.

I would love to have a "giant Extasy" with similar or same wing profiles for TD and F3J; I think it would be superb!

I have an extra fuselage, and a couple tails that could use some minor work, and am tempted to get another set of wings to assemble a second Extasy to have for any F3B event that I would be lucky enough to attend....
Decisions, decisions!

At any rate, she's a great plane, and I am liking very much the Gen 2 RDS that I retrofit to it, from IRF Machine works. It works great and has been trouble free, even with the added wiper bend for the flaps.
http://www.irfmachineworks.com/g2rds/
I simply used the supplied wiper rods that came with Extasy (for the proper pocket fit) and silver soldered them into the IRF tubes (HD) and used the supplied couplers.

R,
Target
Old Aug 15, 2014, 05:59 AM
Joined Mar 2007
198 Posts
Target:
im happy new Extasy F3B owner:-)
For what wind conditions you uese Extasy? Light-mid-strong?

Can you share your f3f settings?

thx

best regards

cianokol
cianokol is offline Find More Posts by cianokol