HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cyberhoops, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:17 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,011 Posts
Discussion
Painting the cowling

It was a battle - but the cowling of the 1982 Oberto is finally painted and ready for some detailing.

The first round of painting was pretty much a failure - the white paint didn't stick and proceeded to peel off when I taped it up for the red. After stripping it down, redoing the primer and repainting that seems to be fine now. Then when fixing up the green the paint wrinkled up - so that had to be stripped off and repainted again - followed by fixing up the white again.

I will probably do a bit more touch up, but now I am just waiting for the 70's era driver and Merlin exhaust stacks to arrive. I still need to build a steering wheel, some interior details and the Merlin's intake scoop.

Add clear coat and some decals... I think this will be fine.

With some paint on the hull, it is pretty close to matching the Mini cooper "Chili Red".

The green paint for the sponsons all worked out fine, so now it is just doing tape for red and green to paint the last bits of white. Then decals and detailing in the for the cockpit should finish the construction. The decals are already on order from Wesley's Custom Graphics.

With the paint finally complete I put all the hardware in the boat for a weight check. The total weight came out at 5 lbs 8 oz, which is right at the target weight.

The overall cost of the boat to this point for materials - wood, paint, glue, and so forth is $306.00. That includes the motor mount but no other hardware since that is all be re-used from other boats.
cyberhoops is online now Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Last edited by cyberhoops; Nov 30, 2010 at 01:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts