HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:22 PM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
I use separate BEC's in some of my planes but this is better. Plugs directly into the Rx.
Will standard servos hold up to a fully charged Life battery?
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:06 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
Cowl ?

Is it generally recommended to open the 2 what appear to be cooling vents on the stock cowl (under prop clearance hole)? I presume they are for ESC cooling purposes.

If so, are folks creating a fuselage opening to vent air?

Thanks
I opened both holes in the cowl. Mine came with these holes opened under the fuse between the landing gear mounts and the wing strut connections. I hung a piece of tissue inside, closed it all up and ran the motor up a bit. Not very scientific, I know, but it was obvious that air was moving across the ESC. Things come down ambient, so I think its fine.

Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:52 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
Will standard servos hold up to a fully charged Life battery?
Yep
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:32 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,569 Posts
Thanks Boogie & Norm!

My fuselage did not come with these vents holes, so I'll sort out how to get air moving through.

Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:47 AM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Haven't had much time to build. Progress pics.
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Last edited by Minimog; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:22 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
So far slightly nose heavy with a 5s 4000, but I haven't installed the servos yet.
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:54 PM
SoFlo Flyer
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Mar 2011
26 Posts
I'm slowly getting mine finished. I glassed the cowl insides with bondo auto repair kit, freaking mess but it is solid, that added some frontal weight there but not bad, a touch nose heavy is the best way to fly of course. glued in the windows with Shoe Goo..I like that stuff. Going to use a 13x6.5 eprop on the Turnigy 46. with 3300 and 4000mah 4s lipos. Painted the engine plastics flat black with aluminum color valve covers and exhaust, looks quite nice but not flashy. I may actually glue or screw them on. I'm getting really anxous to fly this L-4. Now to program the Turnigy 9x transmitter 3 way switch for flaps, that will be another project to figure out.
capnconch is offline Find More Posts by capnconch
Last edited by capnconch; Feb 16, 2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:27 PM
United States, CO, Brighton
Joined Oct 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnconch View Post
I'm slowly getting mine finished. I glassed the cowl insides with bondo auto repair kit, freaking mess but it is solid, that added some frontal weight there but not bad, a touch nose heavy is the best way to fly of course. glued in the windows with Shoe Goo..I like that stuff. Going to use a 13x6.5 eprop on the Turnigy 46. with 3300 and 4000mah 4s lipos. Painted the engine plastics flat black with aluminum color valve covers and exhaust, looks quite nice but not flashy. I may actually glue or screw them on. I'm getting really anxous to fly this L-4. Now to program the Turnigy 9x transmitter 3 way switch for flaps, that will be another project to figure out.
I found this link on Youtube. English is rough, but the steps did work.

Turnigy T9x - English - 3 pos. Flaps on 3pos. Switch (11 min 37 sec)
rightname is online now Find More Posts by rightname
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:13 PM
SoFlo Flyer
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Mar 2011
26 Posts
Yes I found that a bit ago and did it and Yes it works! However its kind of learning by rote, monkey see monkey do. But now I am starting to learn the actual process.
Now If only somebody with the time, would do this Turnigy 9x instruction, in clear english and explain the why of each step.
It's a beautiful thing to see the L-4 elevator and flaps function with the 3 position switch.
capnconch is offline Find More Posts by capnconch
Old May 28, 2013, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Aug 2011
5 Posts
anybody got a cowl or know where to get parts for this plane .. thanks
biboy is offline Find More Posts by biboy
Old May 28, 2013, 04:19 PM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biboy View Post
anybody got a cowl or know where to get parts for this plane .. thanks
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=562

ought to do it.
dang is online now Find More Posts by dang
Old Jun 23, 2013, 05:49 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,699 Posts
I am planning on this one as a summer project with my kids. I've got a Monster 46 motor. Will it fit ok? I can prop accordingly and the plan is a 4S setup. Just asking to have the right parts for the kids to get going on it.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jun 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
I am planning on this one as a summer project with my kids. I've got a Monster 46 motor. Will it fit ok? I can prop accordingly and the plan is a 4S setup. Just asking to have the right parts for the kids to get going on it.
I was not happy with the way mine flew at all. I've had three other cubs of different brands and they all flew better. I'd go with something else.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:07 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
I was not happy with the way mine flew at all. I've had three other cubs of different brands and they all flew better. I'd go with something else.
I'm curious as to what you didn't like about your L4. I've had two of these (Cubs from HK) and they fly fine, but are a "scale" experience. Part of the reason why I like flying it.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
721 Posts
It's partly because scale flying doesn't really excite me. Lack of authority on all surfaces was a problem too. I've had an 81" H9 cub, a 72" World models cub, and a foam 48" cub. All were much easier to control than this one.