HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Thanks, Julian-Tulane, 1973, 1976 and 1992.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
wyldkrd's Avatar
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Cub looks great symdnn.
You may think about opening up the two intakes in the front of the cowl to let in some air for cooling.
And the rubber bands need to be doubled up to be strong enough to hold the model up on landings.


I have the L-4 and the flaps work fine. There's just no need for them on this plane.
It flys really slow with no flaps and stupid slow with flaps. ...slow enough to bite you.

I was testing out the flaps the other day at altitude and it has a nasty stall when pushed to far. Really drops a wing and falls over hard. If you do use the flaps it just takes a smidge of droop, 1/2" max.
I've yet to make a landing with the flaps down.

Julian
I actually left the flaps out. Save on weight and the real one didn't have them. I should be done with repairs today. I switched out motors to something with a little more umph a big Emax 600kv for 3s-4s. I need to add different bec as the one on the esc I have is linear and will not work well running 4s with 4 servos.

I had to recover one of the horiz stabs. I had some litespan and got the bottom half done last night. I'll do the top and then paint it to match. One thing I hate about these chinese arfs is the covering is nothing even close to monokote or ultracote and with the flat finish it needed to be something close to fabric. I think it will look fine, at least in the air!
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Has anyone mounted the dummy engine yet?
I've yet to do mine.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 07, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
wyldkrd's Avatar
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Has anyone mounted the dummy engine yet?
I've yet to do mine.

I had them on the original cowl. I cut the holes on the cowl and trimmed the dummies to fit in them with the the stacks flat against the side. I had hot glued them in so it was easy to get them out. They survived the crash so I will put them on the new cowl as well.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:59 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
wyldkrd, did you mount from the outside or the inside?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
wyldkrd's Avatar
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
wyldkrd, did you mount from the outside or the inside?
Both actually. I put the heads up through the inside with the exhaust stacks trimmed just right to pop out and sit on the sides well. I glued it from the inside for the heads and some on the bottom of the stacks to the sides. Does that make sense?


With the new cowl I will just glue them to the outside. I pulled them from the remains of the old cowl and cleaned them up. I might do al little more detail on them now.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Yea, makes sense. that was EXACTLY what I was thinking. LOL
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
Dive now work later
symdnn's Avatar
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Cub looks great symdnn.
You may think about opening up the two intakes in the front of the cowl to let in some air for cooling.
And the rubber bands need to be doubled up to be strong enough to hold the model up on landings.


I have the L-4 and the flaps work fine. There's just no need for them on this plane.
It flys really slow with no flaps and stupid slow with flaps. ...slow enough to bite you.

I was testing out the flaps the other day at altitude and it has a nasty stall when pushed to far. Really drops a wing and falls over hard. If you do use the flaps it just takes a smidge of droop, 1/2" max.
I've yet to make a landing with the flaps down.

Julian
Thanks Julian. I will make the opening in the cowl and yes I doubled the rubber band on the landing gear. I also tested the motor speed and it looks like more than enough power to me. I will also weigh the plane tonight and will post the info.
symdnn is offline Find More Posts by symdnn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
Dive now work later
symdnn's Avatar
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
The gross weight of the plane is 5.5 pounds.
symdnn is offline Find More Posts by symdnn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:25 AM
Dive now work later
symdnn's Avatar
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
Monster Power 32 available here for a good price http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290522575631
symdnn is offline Find More Posts by symdnn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
wyldkrd's Avatar
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,454 Posts
I finally got mine in the air today! I had switched out the motor I got from headsuprc to an Emax 2620 900kv on 3300 3s with 13x8 prop. Besides being a little squirrely on the ground (the plane not me...) She took off and flew great. Uneventful landing and after flying other planes I took it up again for a solid 5min flt. Still had high 3.8's-3.9's on the each cell. I flew a little above half throttle most of the time. I'm very happy with it. I put a 5v/5a UBEC in so I could run 4s with the ESC/motor combo. They Hyperion 60a ESC had an LBEC which could be an issue with more than two servos.

I switched out wheels for Dubro 3 1/4 I had laying around and a better tailwheel. The cowl came out nice but the color is off. Same with the tail feathers that were recovered. It looks great and I can't wait to fly it at the Arizona Electic Festival in two weeks.


I shot a little video but I will take more pics and post after next flgiht.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:52 AM
Dive now work later
symdnn's Avatar
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
I finally got mine in the air today! I had switched out the motor I got from headsuprc to an Emax 2620 900kv on 3300 3s with 13x8 prop. Besides being a little squirrely on the ground (the plane not me...) She took off and flew great. Uneventful landing and after flying other planes I took it up again for a solid 5min flt. Still had high 3.8's-3.9's on the each cell. I flew a little above half throttle most of the time. I'm very happy with it. I put a 5v/5a UBEC in so I could run 4s with the ESC/motor combo. They Hyperion 60a ESC had an LBEC which could be an issue with more than two servos.

I switched out wheels for Dubro 3 1/4 I had laying around and a better tailwheel. The cowl came out nice but the color is off. Same with the tail feathers that were recovered. It looks great and I can't wait to fly it at the Arizona Electic Festival in two weeks.


I shot a little video but I will take more pics and post after next flgiht.
Thats very nice to hear. I hope to see the video soon
symdnn is offline Find More Posts by symdnn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:59 AM
Dive now work later
symdnn's Avatar
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
I did some changes so I suspended the ESC exactly in the middle instead of side and I moved the receiver and attached it upside down under the servos so now the middle compartment is empty. I also opened the two spots in the front of the cowl. Here are some pictures so please let me know any comments or suggestions.
symdnn is offline Find More Posts by symdnn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:39 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
CSI's Avatar
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Great to hear about another happy Cub flier!!!

Symdnn,
I am glad to see your photos about hiding your components in the bottom area. That is one issue I am going to be dealing with as my build progresses. I am going for a somewhat scale interior of my L-4, going as far as practical anyway. My main hope is to be able to devise up a platform for the 2 seats, maybe as a removeable component to access the lipo? Haven't got that far yet. I got the main gear installed and prepared the tail surfaces for mounting using pinned hinges.

This is a neat plane and really becomes fairly large once the wings go on. I'm having fun with it...but lot's to go.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:58 AM
Da' Cajun
Boogie_'s Avatar
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,864 Posts
Congrats on the re-maiden wyldkrd!
Good call on the wheels. I thought the supplied wheels were tiny and swapped them out with 3.5" Dubros.


Clean lookin' cabin symdnn.
Trim those push rods back on your elev/rudd servos. I got several nasty scratches fooling with the battery before I finally cut mine back.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion NitroPlanes Guanli 401 J3 Piper Cub gp1200x Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 3 Oct 10, 2010 11:46 AM
Discussion My Piper cub L4 conversion........... stuart warne Scale Kit/Scratch Built 19 Dec 30, 2008 07:00 PM
Climate Models L4 Piper Tailspin Ken Parkflyers 0 Aug 26, 2005 01:43 AM
Piper L4 conversion F1Tom Scale Kit/Scratch Built 1 Jan 14, 2005 03:59 AM