HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:46 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Hey guys...as for ordering at HK...
I have placed many orders with them and always had prompt service.
I guess if you use the Air Mail service it can be a crap shoot. I have always paid the EMS method and I usually get my package here in Texas anywhere between 4 and 7 days. I don't think I have ever gone more than 1 week from placing my order. Maybe I'm just lucky...or it's that "Platinum membership" status I have I just make sure my order is large enough to balance out the extra EMS shipping cost.

I am busy starting my build by painting all the interior green. Not too hard, just tedious. I am going for the full scale look. Mocking up the interior is going to take some thought and patience....seats, handles, dash, etc....but fun! I also have a scale tailwheel to use...springs, aft trailing, etc. It should look pretty close. I have a work friend who owns a 1946 piper cub so I got to get up close and personal to get some ideas. Wish I had some extra cash...it's for sale for $26,000. It is completely original too. Even the instruments. Dang nice airplane, but wife say's don't even think about it. It would be hard to sneak into the house like I do my new RC planes!?!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,520 Posts
Fiberglass Specialities sent out my cowl yesterday. I will wait for it before the re-maiden flight. Hopefully it works and we will have an alternative to the flimsy one it comes with. I'll worry about dummy engines after me the dummy pilot gets some stick time on it
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:01 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,871 Posts
I hope that cowl fits.

The cowl was the only let down I had when I unpacked mine. Such a nice plane shoulda come with a FG cowl.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:04 AM
Dive now work later
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
Please HELP

Hey guys. I am almost done with my cub. I have one issue, I can't find a spot to mount the battery which is quite long (140mm) so I need some ideas or if someone can post a picture please I am stuck here.
symdnn is offline Find More Posts by symdnn
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:29 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symdnn View Post
Hey guys. I am almost done with my cub. I have one issue, I can't find a spot to mount the battery which is quite long (140mm) so I need some ideas or if someone can post a picture please I am stuck here.
My batt is 142mm long, it lays down flat in battery tray. Plenty of room.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Anybody bought the clipped wing version?

Comments?
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symdnn View Post
Lay a strip of velcro down on the battery tray. You can then move the battery forward/back for cg. Another item is a battery strap. I have one in some of my other planes made by PureTech. I should have ordered one for the L-4 already but I will probably get one soon. They may it really easy to get in and out and quite secure.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
Fiberglass Specialities sent out my cowl yesterday. I will wait for it before the re-maiden flight. Hopefully it works and we will have an alternative to the flimsy one it comes with. I'll worry about dummy engines after me the dummy pilot gets some stick time on it
The cowl came on Saturday. Pretty quick turnaround! It fits perfectly on the top but I need to shape the fuselage down on the bottom to taper it and it should fit as well. My Dremel skills will be put to good use I'll take some pics as I do it. This might be the best mod for this yet.
Last edited by wyldkrd; Jan 09, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:00 PM
Dive now work later
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
I will try the velcro on the battery tray and will post some pictures
symdnn is offline Find More Posts by symdnn
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,520 Posts
Well, the cowl is a challenge to make work but I think it will be worth the effort. It's too long so I trimmed about a 1/4 inch off. That narrowed the space more and I'm trimming more around the front of the fuse. Pics coming soon.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:52 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I have a velcro down PLUS a velcro strap going around the tray. It's not easy to get my hands in there. The strap is almost to the end of the battery. I hope to get a bigger battery (about 3300mAh 4S) soon. so it may not have to be as far forward.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 07, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:11 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,199 Posts
Cowl orientation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
Well, the cowl is a challenge to make work but I think it will be worth the effort. It's too long so I trimmed about a 1/4 inch off. That narrowed the space more and I'm trimming more around the front of the fuse. Pics coming soon.
Have you decided whether to offset the motor and if so how do you plan to orient the cowl?
I was thinking there were two options if this motor offset option was chosen -
1. keep the shaft hole as is (same size hole)but orient the cowl body to keep the motor shaft centered .
2. keep cowl centered on the fuse but enlongate or enlarge the hole to account for motor shaft offset.

thanks in advance, john s.
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
Have you decided whether to offset the motor and if so how do you plan to orient the cowl?
I was thinking there were two options if this motor offset option was chosen -
1. keep the shaft hole as is (same size hole)but orient the cowl body to keep the motor shaft centered .
2. keep cowl centered on the fuse but enlongate or enlarge the hole to account for motor shaft offset.

thanks in advance, john s.
I'm going to put the cowl on straight and offest the motor and make the hole a little bigger to accomodate this. I have to cut all the holes on this cowl anyway. I have a small one for the shaft to clear. This cowl will actually look quite scale when I am done as it will be nearly flush with the fuse sides as much as I have to trim to make it fit. The dummy engines were not damaged in the crash and I hot glued them on so I will probably put them on this cowl.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:53 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,871 Posts
Pics dude!