SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:58 PM
No ! Your other left !
United States, ME, Sanford
Joined Jun 2006
312 Posts
The wind was from down the runway or even from the right side of the runway and you were going almost crosswind when you finally took off?

If that's true it happens all the time. My student, who soloed last summer, managed to do that twice on Saturday. The more downwind wing gets shaded and stalls earlier. Solution would be to steer into the wind on takeoff, keep your nose lower and abort if you can't.

I personally,,,, have done this too many times myself.
aramsdell is offline Find More Posts by aramsdell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:36 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,233 Posts
Post Mortem = No built in right thrust and marginal built in down thrust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
You're the second to suggest this. All I fly are taildraggers. I've had Cubs and Decathlons for years and never experienced this much pull. I might put the D/R down to minimal for takeoff rather than go with a gyro. I also will put a some more right thrust in the motor. It just pulled way left looking at the 22 seconds of video I have and I was giving rudder to comp.
Hi Wyldkrd, This is a terrible way to start the year and i am sorry to see that

I watched the video and the plane never even had a chance to fly with the tail down(no speed) and thus stalling. So ' why? ' i was wondering didn't it go, it should have....

Having bought the same model a few weeks ago but not starting it i took a look at it (right out of the packaging) and there is *Zero* built in right thrust in the firewall mount.

There only appears to be just a degree or two of firewall downthrust (but its unfair right now to say unless the wings are mounted). But assuming very little downthrust that might explain it trying to lift off prematurely.

The idea about layering in some fiberglass cloth inside the cowl is a great one. If the cowl eats it hopefully all the pieces will be at least stuck to the cloth.

When i do put it together i will be cognizant of this ....and probably end up butchering the nose cowl to get the motor prop-shaft thrusts correctly aligned (anything more that zero !!) and the model flight ready

john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Jan 03, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramsdell View Post
The wind was from down the runway or even from the right side of the runway and you were going almost crosswind when you finally took off?

If that's true it happens all the time. My student, who soloed last summer, managed to do that twice on Saturday. The more downwind wing gets shaded and stalls earlier. Solution would be to steer into the wind on takeoff, keep your nose lower and abort if you can't.

I personally,,,, have done this too many times myself.

It was actually quite calm so no real crosswind to speak of. I flew 2 other planes, one a 30in pilatus porter with no steering on the tail wheel and it wasn't a issue going straight out and my PZ F4F hand launched. I think the right/down thrust is a major factor.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:20 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I have not flown a short coupled tail dragger off of a hard surface in a while but I can say that if you do a 3 point take off, you probably pulled too much elevator and did not have enough airspeed.

Here are a couple things I think to consider (I may be right or wrong, take it with some salt)
1) The ailerons do not run the entire length of the wing. The ailerons do not get much if any airflow from the prop. You need airspeed then for those ailerons to work unless you put in more ailerons than the spec. (I did and put 30% expo on everything).
2) Ease up on the elevator some so the tail pops up before you take off so you know you have airspeed.
3) I put reflex on my ailerons (both are neutral about 2mm up). So my cub is less likely to tip stall. This required me to add some down elevator when I trimmed.

Caveat, I took off over grass which I think is easier than a hard surface.

Look at how the other videos that were posted. I know on my 2 vids, the tail comes up before the main wheels.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:46 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Ouch!!, that was tough to watch wyldkrd. Glad to hear it's repairable.
It was brave of you to post your maiden crash video knowing it would be scrutinized by this bunch here on RCG, given what a rough & tumble place the inter-web can be.

I'm taildragger fan also. I have only owned one trike, my trainer. Actually owned two but the other was on floats and never flew it off the ground.

I noticed the (lack of) rt thrust and the little down thrust they built into the model. But I have to agree with Mel, the tail never came up and it was off the ground in less than half the width of your runway.
It was stalled.

I'm really on top of the rudder with this plane, a lot. Sure, Rt thrust would help but would not stop the stall from all the elev input.

Get back to the taildragger basics you already know:
Advance throttle slowly
Work that rudder vigorously
Let the tail start flying first before trying to lift off

Please accept my thoughts as being totally constructive. I'm not a critic of peoples good efforts.

Julian
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Ouch!!, that was tough to watch wyldkrd. Glad to hear it's repairable.
It was brave of you to post your maiden crash video knowing it would be scrutinized by this bunch here on RCG, given what a rough & tumble place the inter-web can be.

I'm taildragger fan also. I have only owned one trike, my trainer. Actually owned two but the other was on floats and never flew it off the ground.

I noticed the (lack of) rt thrust and the little down thrust they built into the model. But I have to agree with Mel, the tail never came up and it was off the ground in less than half the width of your runway.
It was stalled.

I'm really on top of the rudder with this plane, a lot. Sure, Rt thrust would help but would not stop the stall from all the elev input.

Get back to the taildragger basics you already know:
Advance throttle slowly
Work that rudder vigorously
Let the tail start flying first before trying to lift off

Please accept my thoughts as being totally constructive. I'm not a critic of peoples good efforts.

Julian
Thanks for all the insight. After watching the video a few more times I saw more of the mistakes I made. I 've never been one to shy from feedback, if anything I wish my camera man would have kept on it a little longer.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:51 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Wyldrkd, I googled cub cowls or something and saw some similar in size but forgot what I googled. You may need to get a yellow cowl and paint. Keep at it!

BTW, Boogie, If you ever heard of Cypress Lake, you'll know where I went to School for Engineering
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 07, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Wyldrkd, I googled cub cowls or something and saw some similar in size but forgot what I googled. You may need to get a yellow cowl and paint. Keep at it!

BTW, Boogie, If you ever heard of Cypress Lake, you'll know where I went to School for Engineering
The size to fit over the nose is 4 3/4" width and 5 3/4" height. UPDATE: Fiberglass Specialities makes one for the 1/5 scale Cub that seems to be the right size. They sent me measurements and a photo. It's 4 7/8 x 5 7/8 x 51/4. Should work. I take a chance and order and paint it up nice. No dummy engines built in, I'll make my own if it works. I actually had molds for 3 sizes of cub cowls when I used to be in the hobby biz in the 90's. I sold them off, wish I had them now, one would have been just right...
Last edited by wyldkrd; Jan 04, 2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:41 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
596 Posts
I actually started mine today. It won't fly until summer though
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd View Post
I actually started mine today. It won't fly until summer though
Too cold?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:55 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
596 Posts
I Might fly it in March. I have a few planes ready with skis for Winter. It's just my decistion to keep this one a summer plane.
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:59 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Quote:
USL in Lafayette?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:24 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
USL in Lafayette?
YUP, but back when it was actually called USL

Too cold for a cub? Never! I accidently pulled a wire out of one of the flap servos and need to replace it. I still have not even tried them. I keep forgetting.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:11 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Well, coincidentally, I used to live in Waldorf right outside of D.C.

...and that's where my modeling career took off.
After crashing a couple Cox C/L planes, a buddy and I started building building our own balsa planes using the Cox hardware. If I remember right, a Cox plane cost a little over $20 bucks and a little 1/2A balsa kit was only $3 or $4.
For kids scrounging coke bottles for cash that was big money. After a while we caught on to buying sheet balsa and scratch building was even cheaper.

Funny thing, all the other neighborhood kids would see us burning up the ring with our planes and the next day they would show up with a store bought plane and promptly smash it to bits.
John and I were like vultures ready to pick over the salvageable pieces. We actually tried to help them out but they usually insisted on going it alone.
We both had a shoe box full of good parts from those guys.
Good times.

(thread hi-jack over)
Julian
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:18 PM
USA, FL, Ocala
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a Monster Power 32? Everyone seems to be sold out... E-Flight make a 32 that's almost identical, but it costs twice as much!

Giff
farmer_giff is offline Find More Posts by farmer_giff