HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2001, 01:33 PM
Father of Ten
Salem, Or
Joined Sep 2001
74 Posts
How do you do a rudder roll?

I fly a Duskstick and want to try a rudder roll. What is it and how is it done?
Thanks, Scott
Scomis is offline Find More Posts by Scomis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2001, 01:40 PM
So tired
Bensalem, PA USA
Joined Apr 2001
167 Posts
Also known as a snap roll, the aircraft is flown on the verge of stalling, then you give full rudder in the direction you want to go as well as full up elevator. I dont know if that type of aircraft can do that though
JJEXP is offline Find More Posts by JJEXP
Old Oct 08, 2001, 01:41 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Full rudder one way or the other, when inverted apply down to keep it level as possible, continue with full rudder until loop is completed.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Oct 08, 2001, 01:55 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I think it can be done, but have never bothered to roll my DS - I have models much better at rolling

First off - a good head of steam. Flat out, enter a slight dive to build speed. As the DS has the inertia of a heavy duck feather, it will hit flat out after around five feet of full chat, I reckon.

Pull the nose gently up to around 10- 15 degrees up, let off the elevator and push full rudder - left is a good choice here, let what torque is in there help you out.

The model might fly a barrel shaped roll, which will end up nose down as she comes out back in level flight. You can push a little down elevator as she goes through inverted, but be sparing. This can make life too interesting in a couple of ways.

One, you push the airfoil beyond its zero lift angle of attack to the airflow and the wing stops lifting.

At this point, you will soon notice that gravity doesn't stop sucking...

Two - you forget to take the elevator out because you're having too much fun. As the model reaches wings vertical, that elevator command is still working and the model shoots off sideways, or pitches up to be more corrrect, as it is desperately trying to do what you are telling it to.

For these, and many other reasons, it is best to start off 'three mistakes' high in order to be able to extricate her from what might be an overly interesting attitude (been there many times )

You may have to diddle around with entry attitudes, amount of rudder (too much can act like a great brake, BTW), amount of down - etc, etc. If you can never get out in less than a 30 degree nosedown attitude, time to look at getting a real aerobatic ship. Aeros are much easier when the model is working for you, not being close to torn limb from limb.

Snap rolls are something else. I aren't sure that parkfliers of this ilk wwould enjoy life in a fully stalled, high G, high power autorotation.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 09, 2001, 03:36 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Dereck
Visitor from Reality

===================

Dereck,

You must truly be a visitor from reality if you registered in 1969. That was even before Gore invented the internet.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Oct 09, 2001, 08:29 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Baron 47
Dereck
Visitor from Reality

===================

Dereck,

You must truly be a visitor from reality if you registered in 1969. That was even before Gore invented the internet.

RB
The machinery behind the Zone put that in.

It must have an ability to recognise experience
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck