HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
F4U Corsair: The Landing Gear & "GOODYEARS" by Robart!

Corsair-Robart Goodyears.m4v (1 min 44 sec)

With the combination of the 90º rotating struts and the split bay doors, the Landing Gear on the Corsair is quite unique for a model of this size.

The nifty little sequencer makes everything work in unison, and FMS has made it really easy to hook into the electrical system including the Y-harnesses that are included.

The only improvement I could find on the main LG was changing out the stock wheels and tires. I chose the Robart 2 3/4" Goodyear ribbed tires w/spoked scale wheels. I was hoping to use the 3" Goodyear's, but the tire was to big to fit in the wheel well, so I settled for the 2 3/4".

To get them to fit properly so the spoked caps would fit on the wheels, I had to cut 3/16" off the axle. I tried several different collar combination's, but none would allow enough clearance for the hub cap. I finally came up with a simple way to hold the wheels on the shaft with the use of an O-ring. First I took a 10-32 die and threaded it on the shaft as far as it would go just to get some kind of bite to retain the O-ring. I then installed 2 nylon spacers both on the inside and outside the axle hubs to center the wheel where I wanted it. Once done, I slipped the O-ring on, adjusted it so the wheels would spin freely (I spun 'em a lot to make sure the O-ring stayed in place)! After being assured it was going to work, I installed the 8-spoked hub cap, checked the air pressure, and I'm good to go!

After all the pre-fab was done, I took the wheels apart and sprayed them with Krylon Metallic Bright Silver.

UP-DATE 11/29/2010: I change out the O-ring I was using to hold the wheel assembly on the axle with a 5/32" push nut.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 23, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:03 AM
Someone is going to get wet...
The Mitt
Joined Oct 2007
1,025 Posts
Retracts...

Sandancer... Quick question, what brand of retracts are you using? And do they make ones that do not rotate? Looking at some for my scratch built 60" wingspan P51 I am building. Thanks for your help and Nice Corsair!
Mudman1959
mudman1959 is offline Find More Posts by mudman1959
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig rocks!!!!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:21 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman1959 View Post
Sandancer... Quick question, what brand of retracts are you using? And do they make ones that do not rotate? Looking at some for my scratch built 60" wingspan P51 I am building. Thanks for your help and Nice Corsair!
Mudman1959
The up-graded version of these 90º rotation PZ 312's are the PZ 514's. They are none 90º rotating E-Tracts. I have a set on the P-47 and they work great, not to mention inexpensive compared to the DSR's I have on my FMS P-51.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:28 AM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
409 Posts
Where did the sequencer come from?
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:31 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfinch View Post
Where did the sequencer come from?
The sequencer comes with the plane. You can purchase one separately at PW-RC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:31 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,744 Posts
man, looks 100% better with the robarts....very nice!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut