HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bbrstorm, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:10 PM
Member of the RC OCD Group
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
Build Log
GWS Slowstick Upgraded Build

I really like how easy the slow sticks are to fly. I completely rebuilt my original GWS Slowstick and upgraded and strengthened the whole plane. By making these upgrades, the plane can really be thrown around in the sky and it allows you to speed it up some too

Ask questions if you have any, for a fairly inexpensive build you get a very easy to fly almost anywhere plane. That you can even turn into a fantastic nightflyer!

Parts List:
1 - GWS Slowstick Kit - $30
1 - Exceed RC 75M40 Optima Motor (1200kv 200W) - $15
1 - Exceed RC 30a ESC - $14
2 - Tpro90 9g Servos - $6
1 - MilleniumRC 10mm Stick Parts Kit inc/ Steerable Tail wheel - $15
2 - 3mm Carbon Fiber Rod (Replace Fiberglass Rods in slowstick kit) -$12
1 - Dubro 1.25" Tail Wheel - $4
- Misc Dubro linkage parts visible in photos - $5
- 3m Premium Packaging Tape, Foam Safe CA, Epoxy, Velcor & Zip ties.

RX/TX: any 3CH+ radio you can get a 2.4ghz RX/TX at www.hobbypartz.com for $30

Lipo: 2200 20C 11.1v (www.hobbypeople.net $14.99!)

Most of these things came out of my parts box, the local hobby shop and www.hobbyparts.com for the motor, esc and servos

The Millennium RC Stick Parts (www.millenniumrc.com) are stronger and better designed than the GWS parts. Well worth the $15 for the whole set including a steerable tail wheel which is a must

A few things to note on how to improve the overall strength of this plane:

Main Wing - Epoxy the center plastic wing brace in place. Use the Carbon Fiber Rod in place of the Fiberglass rods in the wings edges. CA them into the aluminum center tubes. This really will stiffen up the wing and almost eliminate the ability to fold up the wings in flight.

Elevator - Cut a piece of carbon rod to fit in the elevator hinge. CA the rod to the front piece of foam. Then use tape on both side to attach the rear piece and create a hinge. Tape the whole wing surface top/bottom

Rudder - Again split the pieces and CA the Carbon Rod to the Front portion, create the tape hinge and fully tape both sides. Make sure you use two small bolts to attach the rudder to the tail stick. then take a strip of plastic (I used a piece left over when you cut out the center main wing brace) and use that as a strap around the back side of the stick. This secures the carbon rod to the tail stick and increases the rigidness of the rudder. You can see it up-close in the photos.

Landing Gear - I used a piece of music wire that was the same diameter of the hole in the wheels and created an axle for the wheel to mount on. The axle is attached to the stock landing gear with some wire and solder. Then a piece of shrink-wrap to make it look nicer

I hope to get up a video of it flying soon.

Dan
www.themicrocamguy.com
bbrstorm is offline Find More Posts by bbrstorm
Last edited by bbrstorm; Nov 24, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:44 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,044 Posts
Nice write up.

You could get stuff even cheaper if you got your servos and motor/esc combo from Headsuprc (US dealer, $2 shipping) or Hobby King.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy