HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:35 AM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Build Log
Valenta 3.5 meter ASW-17

Just ran across a pretty good deal on this ASW-17 molded glider. I'm not sure of the brand though. I searched for other ASW-17 threads here, but did not find any like this one. Any clues?

It has been in storage for several years by the previous owner, but in very good condition. The only issues I have found were a sticky spoiler, flap gap seal was coming off and jammed the flap, and an elevator bellcrank issue. Spoiler is already fixed, the gap seal should be pretty easy fix also, but the elevator is going to be a little tricky to mend. Looks like the holes were miss drilled, probably make a new bell crank as I don't think there is enough material to clearance for proper throw.

I took a picture of a logo on the plans, maybe someone recognizes it?

Lots of photos attached.

I have a few 3 meter gliders, and a lot of smaller ships, but this is my largest plane to date. The flight surfaces are pretty big, so I'll have to figure out a good set of servos for this one. Any suggestions? My scale just killed it's batteries, so will have weights soon. It is not going to be a light bird.

Looking forward to flying this one!

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Rotozuk; Nov 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:05 PM
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,421 Posts
I'm 99.99 % sure is made by Valenta.
Even though the color scheeme is different than the one on their page the logo on the plans and reg. numbers are the same.

http://www.valentamodel.cz/04a.htm
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:00 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
I think you figured it out.. Thanks!! Looks like their Vaolcano reuses the same fuse to make a sport model.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:08 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Here is a great build thread on this planes sister ship.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028113

Of particular interest is the full flying elevator.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:45 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
Nice score Wayne.
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Got a little bit of work done tonight.

Weights:

Elevator with hardware = 120 grams
Right wing = 958 grams
left wing = 936 grams
Rudder = 51 grams
Fuse with wing rods = 842 grams

This is pretty similar to weights I have seen others report.

Test fit some digital servos that were to fat for my last build. They fit just fine for this plane and should be up to the task, but I only have 5 of them, so need to figure out servos for the spoilers and rudder. I'll probably just run a full size servo I have kicking around for the rudder. I have no experience as to how much servo air brakes require though. Any suggestions would be great. I don't think they need anything too powerful...?

As you can see in the picture, the flap does not go down much. I'm tempted to work on the live hinge some to get more travel, but I'd then need to remove the good gap seal on the other flap to match it. Not sure I want to do that. It was hard enough getting the one off that was already half off. I keep reading that speed brakes are all I need. Thoughts? Seems like such a small amount of throw. I do understand that this wing responds really well to camber changes.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:43 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
We've already discussed the wings being shared with the Volcano (just with different tips), but I see what you mean about the fuse! Looks the same but for the black canopy on the Volcano!
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:03 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
Wayne, My Ventus had flaps and spoilers. The flap deflection wasn't much, 30-40 degrees. On approach I'd put on flaps first, and leave them on, then spoilers as needed. I don't have the Ventus anymore, but the Lunak is set up the same way if you want to check it out.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:42 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
I have no experience as to how much servo air brakes require though. Any suggestions would be great. I don't think they need anything too powerful...?
No, they don't need much oomph at all. I can't remember what I used, but probably HS85bb?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:11 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Oh crap.. I bought some HS65HB instead of the HS85HB.. Me and my bad memory. Think they are OK for the spoilers?

Not much progress tonight as I was flying all day long. But the elevator mods are just about done. Pics below.

Short of buying a bunch of lead I think I have everything needed to complete this plane. Well, I still need to figure out a ballast system.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:46 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Oh crap.. I bought some HS65HB instead of the HS85HB.. Me and my bad memory. Think they are OK for the spoilers?

Wayne
They probably are fine IMO, as long as the spoilers are operating smoothly without hitches. But please don't base your decision soley on my advice, as I haven't actually ran spoilers on HS65's...
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
They are smooth, but I think I'll see what other options I have. Why risk it?

Thanks!

Lots of wind right now, so may not get anything done on the ASW today.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
I'm confused - the first stab pics and bellcrank position suggest a hinged (articulating) stab, but the post-mod pics show full-flying movement....?

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
I'm confused - the first stab pics and bellcrank position suggest a hinged (articulating) stab, but the post-mod pics show full-flying movement....?

Tom
That is correct. My surfaces appeared to be miss aligned so the bellcrank was not going to work without making a new bellcrank. After seeing that the Volcano used a pretty simple full flying setup, I decided to copy that layout. I suspect they converted to the full flying as the bellcrank design on this plane was iffy at best. Just my humble opinion.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:39 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Made a little progress today after the flying.

Gap seal is glued back in. Looks good, but we shall see. I also worked on the live hinge with a little file to get more travel out of the flap before gluing in the gap seal. It now has as much travel as the other wing.

Elevator mount also went in.

I glued both of these items in with "Zap a Goo". This is the first time I have tried using this rubbery CA type glue. I keep hearing great things about it. We shall see.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor