HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:09 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
520 Posts
Build Log
UMX Beast Profile

I wondering this would interesting to anyone who flies indoor often. Anyway, now that it's becoming indoor flying season I've decided to make my own scratch built profile foamy of the E-Flite UMX Beast. I wanted it similar in size so i used a 3 view that I've found on google images and resized it to my preferences.

I have foam piece cutout and trial fit before painting. Hope the painting doesn't add too much weight as it's 15g barebone. I'm planning on using the p-51 motor/gearbox/servos..let's just cross my fingers for 35g AUW.

will upload pics as soon as i find the camera.
Nooflyer is online now Find More Posts by Nooflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:47 AM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
520 Posts
update

pics available now. now 16g w/paint.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:37 PM
TimR
Winford,Bristol,UK
Joined Oct 2010
5 Posts
thats brilliant
also i think that will fly better at 3d than the e-flite version
how well does it fly and what foam/equipment are you using?
also can you do some plans and a video cus i want to build one

many thanks tim
Fly3dUK is offline Find More Posts by Fly3dUK
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:54 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Haha, that's cool, very ingenious too !
Perhaps the maker wording ought to be HORIZONtal or something, just in case.
Would be great to see this next to a real one, in flight.

I did something similar with the UM T-28 and 4-Site before release. Might be a trend starting, for those who just can't wait to get or won't be able to get the real thing.

Best wishes for the skies with your build
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:09 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
520 Posts
Thanks guy. Glad there's interested people here that thinks like me.
But i will buy the real thing but i like anticipation so i'm waiting
I might be able to get some plans but the video will come after i get a new camera!
But its all 3mm depron using the same gear as the P-51/4-Site.
But i haven't flown it yet as its always windy here but will soon at an indoor facility! Will let u know if i can come up with some plans.

It would be best to use 2mm depron and .5mm carbon rod for the lightest results! Weights should come in around the same weight as the e-flite 4-site!

i love bipes!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:17 PM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
great job.... 2X on plans for this bad boy!!
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:17 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
520 Posts
If u guys end up building with 3mm depron, make sure u pinch around the LE and TE of the plane to reduce damages when crashes occur. I've found that when i do crash, the plane itself doesnt get touched but the motor mount pops off!
Any tips on minimizing this from happening?
What glue do u use to absorb the shock on the motor mounts!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
520 Posts
Oh and i'm working on plans now so maybe they'll be finished later tonight or morning! Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:22 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
No idea with the gear you have on it, but normal hotglue works very well for little motors up front. If applied sparingly, using a toothpick for example, it bonds strongly and soaks up a lot of vibrations and impacts. Just swipe the toothpick on the well heated stick/hotglue gun end, to not leave those whispy awful lines of glue and then quickly place on the area.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:07 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
520 Posts
It's a tiny brushed motor w/ gearbox from the Ultra micro p-51 mustang! Motor has enough power to hover and do aerobatics w/ 1cell 160mah lipo. But i think Hotglue would weigh this micro down but alot as this model weighs 34g-ish.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:49 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
520 Posts
Bare with me!

Ok trying to get the plans accurate has been a challenge so far and it seems like it's going to take a little longer for plans. So until i get the actual plans set up and accurate I would post a 3 view picture and suggest using scale and tile program or posterazor to get this plane in the air.
Until then i'll be working on the plans! Sorry but keep checking back!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:05 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooflyer View Post
It's a tiny brushed motor w/ gearbox from the Ultra micro p-51 mustang! Motor has enough power to hover and do aerobatics w/ 1cell 160mah lipo. But i think Hotglue would weigh this micro down but alot as this model weighs 34g-ish.
Trust me, I understand the awareness of saving weight. Look at the little balsa plane in my blog. It weighs 18.1g w/ the battery and it's a biplane. I used hotglue to mount the motor. Used properly, hotglue can be extremely useful and lightweight.

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:42 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
520 Posts
Alright i'll give that a try since i looked at your blog and i'm pretty sure you know what you're talking about! lol Great builds by the way!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooflyer View Post
Alright i'll give that a try since i looked at your blog and i'm pretty sure you know what you're talking about! lol Great builds by the way!
Thanks. I build s...l...o...w...l...y, but they all get finished eventually. The modelers on these forums are great and my builds would be nowhere close to where they are without the help I've gotten here. I always focused on glue application the most. IMHO, it is the single most important thing that makes or breaks these small builds. I thought the same thing you do about hotglue and admittedly still bash it when my friend uses it on all of his foamy builds (half kidding, half serious). However, it can be useful if applied correctly.

BTW- I never commented on your build. I was blown away by your replica model of a model (). I've never had great success with foam and respect those that have.

Thanks again,
Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:09 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Hotglue should be heavy, but isn't
It's all about the application of it and why I mentioned the toothpick. I often use it to mount 2x4mm motors of planes around 6g and it does very well. Much like any other glue, sometimes anything more than a thin layer is just dead weight.

Alternatively, there's a type of double sided tape that people use to stick car license plates on with. If it's tough enough for that it may be useful. Can't remember the brand...will find out.

*edit* this is the sort of thing - http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...apes/VHB-Tape/