SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:39 AM
Weipa Queensland
Joined Jul 2007
180 Posts
Paul

just read your email, thanks rx sounds good.

Tony
Tony Finn is offline Find More Posts by Tony Finn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:37 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Finn View Post
Paul

Sounds good, what is the final rx set up.

Tony
Still have to finalise that bit once I've got the TX system running. I didn't want to make any presumptions at this point on how best to do the RX.

At the moment I have 2 or 3 potential options, of which one includes a fancy seeming left/right directional antenna system that thankfully isn't too complex to build.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:04 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Boards have been submitted and paid for now... just a case of waiting. Maybe by a Christmas miracle they'll arrive here before Christmas, though I'm thinking more likely some time in the new year.

Paul.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Greetings from NZ. To serve a local FPV need I've just rustled up a simple locator system, based around cheap Keymark/Spirit-On TXC1/RXB1 433 MHz TX/RX offerings - sold in NZ/Australia by Jaycar (ZW3100/ZW3102). Although certainly not the last word in locators(!), it's cheap & light & may save ones bacon. Ranges are typically 100s of metres, with Line of Sight (LoS) up to a km when a simple receiving Yagi is used.

It's hosted as an Instructable => http://www.instructables.com/id/433-...-radio-beacon/
manukanz is offline Find More Posts by manukanz
Last edited by manukanz; Dec 18, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:12 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Manukanz,

Many thanks for your first post here on RCG. As the first RF modules we'll be using the same, though the TX baseboard we're adding on for it adds a lot of things like the lipo charging/battery-backup, activation by the TX, activation by loss of battery and of course has an audiable alarm for those last few meters of trying to locate it in the grass (which seem to take for ever without ).

I've not yet finished designing the RX because I'm sitting between two different designs, one uses a dual-antenna phase differences, the other is the more traditional Yagi setup.

Paul.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:32 AM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Paul- happy to offer ideas! I've had a lot to do with promotion of the UK sourced PICAXE microcontrollers ( http://www.picaxe.com ), especially the ~US$4 PICAXE-08M (as used here).

Locator beacons of course often need trade offs between such features as cost, complexity, features, power, range, frequency, antenna size, programming ease & battery life. The offering rustled up here (together with it's companion receiver) was intended to be a wet your feet/just in case approach suiting RC skinflints. It can easily be extended or enhanced.
manukanz is offline Find More Posts by manukanz
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:46 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Manukanz,

We'll be using the Atmel AVRs as that's our mainstay uC here, particularly the Tiny13 and Tiny10 units. In the future we'll be also adding in the fantastically low power MSP430 series of chips.

Previously something very similar was done when building an animal-tracking collar device; this is more of a 'R/C plane' variant

Paul
Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:43 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
It would seem that the PCB factory is having a Christmas holiday at the moment - or at least from the lack of update details from them I'm inferring it.

I was hoping I'd get some time to spend over the holiday week (Christmas->NewYear) to see the arrival of the tracker board and put it to work.

Paul.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:18 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
I should whine more often... the Fedex details for the transmitter boards just was sent to me

Paul.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:55 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Boards are stalled in China still... I think we won't seem them until 4th or 5th of January.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:52 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
PCBs for the TX are now in Singapore - took a few days to transit out of China.

Merry Christmas to you all!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 05:53 PM
If it flys I can crash it!!!
Townsville, Australia.
Joined Jan 2007
615 Posts
Merry Christmas Paul, I hope your not floating away out there!
scatcat1 is offline Find More Posts by scatcat1
Old Dec 25, 2010, 06:37 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
I'll build a tracking meter and place it on me in case I get lost in the floods

In all honesty, it's quite fine here at the moment. If the rain sweeps in again a few more times we will get localised flooding and maybe this year we can replace the carpet if it floods

Paul.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:01 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Boards are now in Australia - though at best I don't think I'll see them until probably Thursday, more likely Friday, assuming the roads are even open to this area.

Paul.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:15 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Boards just arrived.

I don't see myself running out in a hurry, there's 100 per sheet... and I've got more than one sheet!