SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:46 PM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Build Log
My 44" CAT MisKonduct

I thought I would share the this my first RC Boat build from scratch after the hull purchase. Your all extremely knowledgeable and I really appreciate your comments and help so to start with here is a hull which I have my sights set on. A 32" Ocean Cat. I've watched plenty of video footage of these and they seem to really stable in the water when set up correctly. I live near the beach so my water access is the ocean and its water water ways which are not like thrashing up and down dams, ponds and quite rivers. The water ways can be quite choppy and windy so stable boat is essential, also something to give the waterways officers and water police a run for there money......nice
Rusty Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Old Fart
Last edited by Rusty Old Fart; Feb 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,445 Posts
If they haven't sold out again already the Turnigy 180 marine would be a good addition to the package.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
exactly

I have my eye on at least 1 of them. I intend on running twin motors, no not sure if I should the big brother the Aqua star
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:47 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Hey Rusty old fart,

That looks like the same hull as the Apparition-II that is on the Hobbyking onlline store, have a look here.

Barry
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:07 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Hey baz

Your right and it has the same gear as my young fella's boat.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:53 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Yes there on back order again, but i have found where I can get these ESC's for $123 Aus and $10 delivery so I think 2 of them will be ordered tonight.

Turnigy 180 marine.

The ball is now rolling.

I also plan on mounting the ESC, batteries and radio gear on a Carbon fibre platform but not permanently fixed in one position. I plan to fit 2 lightweight carbon tubesas rails inside with the mounting plate on top with muliple fixing points in the carbon tube

. Instead of gluing or epoxying everything inplace this will give me the ability to balance the boat and if need be shift weight forward and backwards depending on water conditions.

Remember I don't have the pleasure of calm water ways. I live on the beach and near a busy shipping channel so weather conditions can change quite quickly. I will draw up a diagram and post it to see if you think its a workable idea. Build this from carbon won't add too much unwanted weight.

Cheerz
Last edited by Rusty Old Fart; Nov 24, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:55 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
I wouldn't plan on moving the esc or radio gear around to shift the CG, just leave room to shift the batteries. They're by far the heaviest component, and have to be removable anyway.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:10 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Old Fart View Post
exactly

I have my eye on at least 1 of them. I intend on running twin motors, no not sure if I should the big brother the Aqua star
Not sure if you will have room in this hull for a twin set of T180 esc's and you sure wouldn't have room for 2 of the big 240 HV Aquastars. Then you still have to have room for batts and radio gear as well.
I've seen it done as twins but it's usually with smaller motors & esc's.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:45 AM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,264 Posts
Quote:
Yes there on back order again, but i have found where I can get these ESC's for $123 Aus and $100 delivery so I think 2 of them will be ordered tonight.
Please tell me that the $100 delivery is a typo. Sounds a bit much to me.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:32 PM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Flying barry's link is the same hull it shows twin esc and twin motors. I know the 180's are quite large so I may have to rethink what type of ESC to use or I need to obtain some real measurements of the space. ""The second lot of images is my sons boat.""

Quote:
Please tell me that the $100 delivery is a typo. Sounds a bit much to me.
Yer it was a late night typo
Last edited by Rusty Old Fart; Dec 27, 2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:36 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Not sure if you will have room in this hull for a twin set of T180 esc's and you sure wouldn't have room for 2 of the big 240 HV Aquastars. Then you still have to have room for batts and radio gear as well.
I've seen it done as twins but it's usually with smaller motors & esc's.
The ESc measurements are 72mm x 68mm and it looks like the internal platform is 118mm wide so your right bill the ESC's will be too big to sit side by side to big end on end as it interfere with the steering and battery placement. May need to rethink the whole thing.
Last edited by Rusty Old Fart; Dec 27, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:56 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Well some goodies have arrived. I got the plans printed and are now ready to get the cut work started. I managed to get the PDF's printed to full size complements of work. ...nice work.

I decided to ditch the plans and follow the F1, I admir his ability to just draw plans and build. I'll have a go at a build first and in the background I'm having a go at the paper design my self. If it works out i'll post it so I'll take photo's and do it all as it goes along.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:06 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Xmas Toys

While I was away for a week or so in bloody hospital some toys arrived. Just like a kid on Xmas morning I got busy unwrapping and low and behold the 2 x CC 1717 monsters have arrived along with some mamba max stickers.

My time in hospital wasn't all wasted, I managed to order several sheets of

CF 3k 160gm/sqm
FG light weight matten
CF Tubing
CF square tubing
Some flat sheets of CF 3mm, 2mm, 1mm
Engine mounts
Cowl latches
and on an on goes the list.

Finally today HK has the T180A ESC back in stock for $77 AU so I grabbed one of those just to make a start.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:33 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
I had a go F1 and well it didn't work out so I'm following the plans with this one with just a few mods to go along with it.

Cut out day tomorrow as I didn't have a scolling blade for the jigsaw and boxing day only the Xmas sale are on. Monday morning all open again.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:18 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,299 Posts
Ok, help me out here as i'm completely confused. Are you buying the fiberglass hull or building one..............using twins or single motor..............?? Thanks
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1