Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:52 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Discussion
The NEW FHSS-3 Airtronics 6 channel RX has released

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know the FHSS-3 6 channel RX has released and it is awesome. All the great features of the 10 channel RX packed into a small RX pack. It also comes in a discounted 3 pack.

Check it out

http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Prod...uctCode=468530

Cody Remington
Skip Miller Models
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:02 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,763 Posts
Looks like 3 for $269.99... I guess it's time to sell my 9303 and receivers...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,007 Posts
Just got my first FHSS-3 6ch.... it's nice. So small! I like the end plug design. Going in my hand launch soon enough.
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:22 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Yep, I just got one too. I foresee a bunch of these in my hanger. All of my new B planes aregetting them along with my DLGs. The 10 channels were small, these are tiny.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:45 PM
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
Yep, I just got one too. I foresee a bunch of these in my hanger. All of my new B planes aregetting them along with my DLGs. The 10 channels were small, these are tiny.
Dave,

Is there a seperate slot for the battery plug?

B
Brandon is offline Find More Posts by Brandon
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:50 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Nope, if you are using it in a 6 servo plane you need to use a Y harness to add power.

Or better yet, you can plumb the power right to the wing harness, and the wing servo plugs will power the receiver and tail servos. This is the best path to get the most power to the wing servos.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:32 AM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
474 Posts
I have two of the old 6 Ch. and have had no problems. But i am sure I will get the FHSS 3 for the extra features and insurance.
Jody-
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:08 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
474 Posts
Dave - I like the sounds of your solution "power directly to the servo harness" instead of through the receiver. Are there any downsides to this that you are aware of? I didn't realize that the servos would provide power to the receiver. I wouldn't want a stalled or defective servo to crash the receiver. That could result in a crashed plane. If you could post a wiring diagram that would be appreciated. Thanks.

George
SaltyOne is offline Find More Posts by SaltyOne
Last edited by SaltyOne; Nov 30, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyOne View Post
Dave - I like the sounds of your solution "power directly to the servo harness" instead of through the receiver. Are there any downsides to this that you are aware of? I didn't realize that the servos would provide power to the receiver. I wouldn't want a stalled or defective servo to crash the receiver. That could result in a crashed plane. If you could post a wiring diagram that would be appreciated. Thanks.

George
Don't know if other makes do the power plug to any input but airtronics has been doing this for a while . Makes it VERY convienient to place the battery/power source just about anywhere except behind the kitchen sink ? Not a problem at all as per Airtronics as the red and black wires are your positive and negative lines for power
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:41 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,564 Posts
Hi George
Quote:
Are there any downsides to this that you are aware of? I didn't realize that the servos would provide power to the receiver. I wouldn't want a stalled or defective servo to crash the receiver.
As long as there is a suitable voltage difference between the plus and minus pins of the receiver and the servos both will work (and "don't care how it was connected to them").

The difference is that in Dave's suggested Y-harness, the high currents for the wing servos don't go over the receiver board, whose flimsy pins and printed circuits are not suitable for high amps. The high currents are bypassed and the receiver just drains a little power for itself from the source.

You can imagine it also as follows: solder two cables to the battery, plug one into the receiver and connect the other one to the wing servos. The Y-harness is the same, just for the situation where you don't have free receiver pins for the battery connection.

If you have a defective wing servo, it will be fatal in both wiring schemes, as it shortcuts your battery and drains it. But an additional benefit of Daves Y-harness is that one can prevent a receiver melt-down when a wing servo makes a short circuit or stalls badly.

The only way to have redundancy would be two batteries, one supplying the wings and one the receiver and the tail servos. One would only connect the impulse leads of the wing servos to the receiver, so that the two supply sources are decoupled. This is the way it is done on the big F3AX aerobatic planes (or on their power boxes respectively).

Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Dec 29, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:05 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyOne View Post

George
...here goes!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=113

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=63

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=64

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=82

...and some wire gauge tables

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wi...ges-d_419.html

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by liukku; Dec 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: adding info
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:53 PM
Wind Happens
So California
Joined Feb 2009
88 Posts
powering wing servos directly off batt

im amazed at how many F3x installs still run the power for their wing servos directly off the Rx...the Rx is current limited (tiny pcb traces, low amperage circuit topology, etc.). i guess no one bought/seen Paul's F3 build clinic - the topic is well covered in his video.
bigslopegrin is offline Find More Posts by bigslopegrin