HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:02 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic Ken View Post
Does the Rimfire have a support bearing also called a concentric bearing between the flux ring and the bearing tube? Does the rimfire use a hub or collet?

Ken
Ken,
The Rimfire has bolt on prop adaptor. 4 more flights today with 6s on the SC. Pushed it hard. The motor came down cool.

6s-2650 30C (my fav pack) gave about 10 mins of flight time and more punch than 6s-3000 20C.

So 480kv - 500kv should work really good for the Edge 60" on 6s, IMO.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:20 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
OzparkPilot's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Sold ! Please put me down for one Chris. Man I cant wait ! Will you be releasing a torque / Airboss combo package for it ?
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:32 PM
JUNK RADIO
Flazo's Avatar
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,099 Posts
yes airboss combo too.
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:40 PM
Registered User
livinma1's Avatar
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Sold ! Please put me down for one Chris. Man I cant wait ! Will you be releasing a torque / Airboss combo package for it ?
Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Airplane cost is $259.95 plus shipping. Combo with Torque 4016/500 and Airboss Elite 80 Amp ESC is $429.95 ($64.90 savings over regular cost of individual components!!!)
Time in transit will be roughly 30-35 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
yes airboss combo too.

Freddy ... .Sorry I missed your call today. I will call you tomorrow.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
$429.95 ...wow... that's a great deal for a great plane.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:35 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
OzparkPilot's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Thats just a bargin !! BARGIN I TELL YA ALL.... !
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:38 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
I Think you can make either do what you want it to..

I am going to the 6S setup... pull less amps and more efficiency...

I saw it flying all day yesterday.. I WILL go down and get me a flight on it tomorow if Chris H will let me!!!
What the hell man?? You never showed at the EF tent??? I asked around but didn't find you?

I was only there for Monday, and Tuesday, but the flying was awesome!! Daniel took my 58" extra for a spin and it was amazing what the plane does in his hands..

I've got a bunch of good picks and video I'll be posting tomorrow night..
Sorry I missed ya... Go get a pull on the Edge!!!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:48 AM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
The 4315 is a good motor, but 530 kv seems to be better suit for 5s than 6s. Shorter and wider motor design plays a roll in the efficiency, but the kv does as well. At 73%, it seems to be a bit low, IMO. Looks like we're pushing it on 6s with 530 kv and 15x8. Either running this 530 kv version on 5s or running the 490 kv version on 6s would improve the efficiency by a noticeable amount.

I've been flying my SC 57" with Rimfire .55 480 kv, 6s-2650 30C, and 15x8 prop for about 10 flights now with no problem. Motor came down cool and I've been pushing it really hard. Thrust / weight larger than 2 really make a big difference. About 1150 W and making at least 160 oz of thrust.

Similar with the Rimfire, the Hacker A30 XL, A40 L, and A50 L series also have long motor design. I am NOT so sure about the self-destruction issue since I've pushed them really hard too. Unless the motor housing or prop are out of balance.

On the same battery and prop, ~ 85% @ 1200 W vs. 73% @ 1600 W does not make very much different in term of thrust and flight characteristic, IMO --> would love to see the 4315-490 kv on 15x8. That'd be perfect.

Vien
400 watts indeed DOES make a noticebale difference in flight characteristics..It may mean the difference in whether or not you get to go upwards to the sky out of a hover or landing your plane on the rudder.watts is horsepower in the grand scheme of things Put it like this,you take the 70 slick that some have been comparing motors on,fly it on 1600 watts.It can and has been done,BUT I have read and heard alot of guys saying this is not enough for them.Bump it up to 2000 watts and those complaints go away.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:27 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
powerlines's Avatar
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
What the hell man?? You never showed at the EF tent??? I asked around but didn't find you?

I was only there for Monday, and Tuesday, but the flying was awesome!! Daniel took my 58" extra for a spin and it was amazing what the plane does in his hands..

I've got a bunch of good picks and video I'll be posting tomorrow night..
Sorry I missed ya... Go get a pull on the Edge!!!

I sorry!! I had to work mon and Tue... I got in bout 5 both days and then I pressure washed the shop and Tue I was doing odd jobs for Mac... SORRY!!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:27 AM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
400 watts indeed DOES make a noticebale difference in flight characteristics..It may mean the difference in whether or not you get to go upwards to the sky out of a hover or landing your plane on the rudder.watts is horsepower in the grand scheme of things Put it like this,you take the 70 slick that some have been comparing motors on,fly it on 1600 watts.It can and has been done,BUT I have read and heard alot of guys saying this is not enough for them.Bump it up to 2000 watts and those complaints go away.
If the 2 motors were running at similar efficiency on the same prop (@ 80% max current for example), this would be a different story. Then 1600 W vs. 1200 W would be day and night.

In this case, however, a large amount of that 400 W difference might go to heat due to the difference in efficiency (73% vs. ~ 85%)? On the same 15x8 prop, the 1200W motor generates ~160 oz while the other generates 170 oz of thrust at 1600W. Looks like the 2nd motor is being pushed close to its limit on 6s (and also due to different design of motor housing), IMO.

Rimfire 0.55, 480kv, 6s-2650 30C, APC 15x8, < 1200W, 160 oz.
Castle 34-24-750kv, 4s-4000 30C, APC 15x8, < 1300W, 175 - 180 oz (fresh pack)
Motrolfly 4315-530kv?, 6s, APC 15x8, 1600W, 170 oz.

I am not motor expert, just try to understand what makes that big difference.
Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:28 PM
Registered User
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Apr 2008
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
If the 2 motors were running at similar efficiency on the same prop (@ 80% max current for example), this would be a different story. Then 1600 W vs. 1200 W would be day and night.

In this case, however, a large amount of that 400 W difference might go to heat due to the difference in efficiency (73% vs. ~ 85%)? On the same 15x8 prop, the 1200W motor generates ~160 oz while the other generates 170 oz of thrust at 1600W. Looks like the 2nd motor is being pushed close to its limit on 6s (and also due to different design of motor housing), IMO.

Rimfire 0.55, 480kv, 6s-2650 30C, APC 15x8, < 1200W, 160 oz.
Castle 34-24-750kv, 4s-4000 30C, APC 15x8, < 1300W, 175 - 180 oz (fresh pack)
Motrolfly 4315-530kv?, 6s, APC 15x8, 1600W, 170 oz.

I am not motor expert, just try to understand what makes that big difference.
Vien
Watts are watts, but thrust is what I look at. I just don't see a motor running at 85% with close to it's max prop, I would really like to know how you measured the Rimfire in regards to thrust, rpm, volts, amps.

Ken
Subsonic Ken is offline Find More Posts by Subsonic Ken
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Apr 2008
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
Ken,
The Rimfire has bolt on prop adaptor. 4 more flights today with 6s on the SC. Pushed it hard. The motor came down cool.

6s-2650 30C (my fav pack) gave about 10 mins of flight time and more punch than 6s-3000 20C.

So 480kv - 500kv should work really good for the Edge 60" on 6s, IMO.

Vien
Do you do a lot of knife edge spins and blenders? Those are what I have seen destroy a motor. Let me know how the motor does over time. The Rimfire seems to be a lot like the 3625 and we don't recomend that motor for hard 3D flying for the reasons I mentioned.

Ken
Subsonic Ken is offline Find More Posts by Subsonic Ken
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:33 PM
Registered User
livinma1's Avatar
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic Ken View Post
Do you do a lot of knife edge spins and blenders? Those are what I have seen destroy a motor. Let me know how the motor does over time. The Rimfire seems to be a lot like the 3625 and we don't recomend that motor for hard 3D flying for the reasons I mentioned.

Ken
Note to oneself.. Avoid too many KE spins and blenders.

You hear that Freddy... King of Blenders.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:42 PM
JUNK RADIO
Flazo's Avatar
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,099 Posts
Yes Boss.
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:44 PM
JUNK RADIO
Flazo's Avatar
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,099 Posts
Pulso Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic Ken View Post
Do you do a lot of knife edge spins and blenders? Those are what I have seen destroy a motor. Let me know how the motor does over time. The Rimfire seems to be a lot like the 3625 and we don't recomend that motor for hard 3D flying for the reasons I mentioned.

Ken

What garbage-Pulso Motor, that poor quality motor couldn't even take a Flat Spin.

Fred
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Extreme Flight 48" Edge 540T EXP! hemituda 3D Flying 10343 Today 12:37 PM
Wanted Extreme Flight 48" Edge 540T EXP FD Pilot Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2010 11:52 AM
Discussion Daniel Holman puts the new Extreme Flight EDGE 540T EXP through the wringer! EXTREME FLIGHT 3D Flying 21 May 30, 2010 01:17 AM
Discussion 42" AJ Slick or 48" Extreme Flight Edge 540T-EXP LeeJ 3D Flying 13 Mar 26, 2010 08:26 PM