HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
Interesting?? It's a strange thing when a company go's mainstream...I really enjoyed the days when I was flying 3dhs and you would bump into one, or two other people with the brand... I love the slick, but it seems like everyone and his grandfather has one at the field?? I guess when your planes show up in real flight, the next step would be tower?

Theres nothing wrong with it, and i wish them the best!! I know money talks, but I perfer small personable companies... In my business, some times if you get to big to fast, you get crushed under your Owen weight..Or you sell the business and make a killing..
GP and tower are pretty much the same company
grubby is offline Find More Posts by grubby
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:39 AM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
I dont think A4035-360 is the best motor for Slick 70". To get enough watt, you would need to spin at least 20x10.

The A4035-300 is stronger with 8s and 18x10 prop. It would give you around 1800-2000w. It will run a bit hotter than Motrolfly or Hacker since it's several oz lighter.

On the other hand, the A5020-250 seems to be the best motor that Infinite makes for plane this size (70" or 72"). 8s-4000, 20x10 prop, ICE 75, 60A, ~ 1900 W, pull stronger than the A4035 above (due to the 20" prop) and runs much cooler (shorter motor, bigger in diameter).

Vien
i give up. your argueing hard numbers and dening that 95% of 70" slick owners are flying 6S.

of course a 8s setup will run more effecient and cooler.
your trying to compare apples to oranges. i wanted to compare apples to apples with two motors of near identical specs, with identical setups. and the infinite lost that battle big time. period.
im done. im preaching to the choir obviously.
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:42 PM
RCCR Member
USA, NY, Brockport
Joined Jun 2008
35 Posts
What receiver is appropriate for a plane this size. Is there any reason to go with more than a Spektrum AR6200?

I'm trying to make the decision between the combo or not, the Airboss ESC has me all confused. I can't tell if I want it or a castle ICE.

I looked here:

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/airboss.html

And on the left below the picture it says the built in BEC is only for up to 5 cell. On the right it says the BEC is available at 5 amps. In the chart below it lists up to 6 cell and 3 amp BEC. There is a picture of one here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028373 that is showing 2-5 cell Lipo. Is this ESC even supporting 6S?

On 6S are we best off running a seperate BEC anyhow?
beanpole1973 is offline Find More Posts by beanpole1973
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:45 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
No reason to go higher than AR6200. Works just GREAT!

fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Apr 11, 2011, 01:04 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i give up. your argueing hard numbers and dening that 95% of 70" slick owners are flying 6S.

of course a 8s setup will run more effecient and cooler.
your trying to compare apples to oranges. i wanted to compare apples to apples with two motors of near identical specs, with identical setups. and the infinite lost that battle big time. period.
im done. im preaching to the choir obviously.
Did you check the "real" kv of each motor and the motor temperature ?

For a well built motor, if it does not generate enough power (and still running cool) on your setup, "terrible" might not be best term to describe, IMO.

My point --> there are several Infinite motors that works well for plane this size on 8s Period (good quality & price)

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Apr 11, 2011, 01:56 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic Ken View Post
To answer a few questions and clear some things up:
This is why we came up with the 4315 design, it uses a 6mm shaft as well. Shorter motors have the same shaft deflection, but it is noticed less at the back of the flux ring due to less leverage, there has to be much more deflection in order for the magnets to hit the stator. The downfall to shorter motors is efficiency loss and having to put more turns per tooth to get the same Kv as a longer motor. The 4315-530 is running at about 73% efficiency based on rpm, but at 1600 watts I'm ok with that.

We feel the benefits out way any small losses when it comes to a motor that will not fail in 3D flight. The rimfire motor has a 5mm shaft and looks to use maybe a 30x30 stator and I would bet will self destruct on 6s and a 15x8 prop on a 3D plane.

I have personally wound a lower Kv 4315 that I will be testing soon. Kv should be around 490 to 500Kv.

Ken
The 4315 is a good motor, but 530 kv seems to be better suit for 5s than 6s. Shorter and wider motor design plays a roll in the efficiency, but the kv does as well. At 73%, it seems to be a bit low, IMO. Looks like we're pushing it on 6s with 530 kv and 15x8. Either running this 530 kv version on 5s or running the 490 kv version on 6s would improve the efficiency by a noticeable amount.

I've been flying my SC 57" with Rimfire .55 480 kv, 6s-2650 30C, and 15x8 prop for about 10 flights now with no problem. Motor came down cool and I've been pushing it really hard. Thrust / weight larger than 2 really make a big difference. About 1150 W and making at least 160 oz of thrust.

Similar with the Rimfire, the Hacker A30 XL, A40 L, and A50 L series also have long motor design. I am NOT so sure about the self-destruction issue since I've pushed them really hard too. Unless the motor housing or prop are out of balance.

On the same battery and prop, ~ 85% @ 1200 W vs. 73% @ 1600 W does not make very much different in term of thrust and flight characteristic, IMO --> would love to see the 4315-490 kv on 15x8. That'd be perfect.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Last edited by vienquach; Apr 11, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:03 PM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpole1973 View Post

I'm trying to make the decision between the combo or not, the Airboss ESC has me all confused. I can't tell if I want it or a castle ICE.

I looked here:

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/airboss.html

And on the left below the picture it says the built in BEC is only for up to 5 cell. On the right it says the BEC is available at 5 amps. In the chart below it lists up to 6 cell and 3 amp BEC. There is a picture of one here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028373 that is showing 2-5 cell Lipo. Is this ESC even supporting 6S?

On 6S are we best off running a seperate BEC anyhow?

Sorry about the confusion... appears there was some old text on the webpage and I am updating it now.
The 80A ESC can in fact handle 6S and that is what Chris has been flying with.
While the older 80A BEC had a limit of 5S, the current ESC's that we are shipping all can handle 6S (both the ESC and the BEC)

Chris is flying his 60" Edge with all digi servos, on 6S, with no external BEC...

Sorry for the confusion

Curtis
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Plus it runs the servos at 6V, right?
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:39 PM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
822 Posts
yes.
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Apr 11, 2011, 03:44 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
6V rocks!
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:44 PM
United States, TX, Navasota
Joined Apr 2009
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic Ken View Post
6s won't be enough I don't think 8s would though, maybe two 4s 2200s if you already have the motor.

Ken
yes 8s. i would have to swing a 18x10 to run 6s. Thanks. Yes I do have the motor so I am trying to make it work but not be too heavy.
wantoofly is offline Find More Posts by wantoofly
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:10 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
ordered one of these today in the combo package....so excited. Trying to figure if im going to go with a 5 or 6s setup. can someone tell me how each of these setups would fly differently?

Is one faster, does one have more thrust, is one lighter? Is one better for 3d vs. pattern?

Thanks in advance
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:59 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I Think you can make either do what you want it to..

I am going to the 6S setup... pull less amps and more efficiency...

I saw it flying all day yesterday.. I WILL go down and get me a flight on it tomorow if Chris H will let me!!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:44 AM
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Apr 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
The 4315 is a good motor, but 530 kv seems to be better suit for 5s than 6s. Shorter and wider motor design plays a roll in the efficiency, but the kv does as well. At 73%, it seems to be a bit low, IMO. Looks like we're pushing it on 6s with 530 kv and 15x8. Either running this 530 kv version on 5s or running the 490 kv version on 6s would improve the efficiency by a noticeable amount.

I've been flying my SC 57" with Rimfire .55 480 kv, 6s-2650 30C, and 15x8 prop for about 10 flights now with no problem. Motor came down cool and I've been pushing it really hard. Thrust / weight larger than 2 really make a big difference. About 1150 W and making at least 160 oz of thrust.

Similar with the Rimfire, the Hacker A30 XL, A40 L, and A50 L series also have long motor design. I am NOT so sure about the self-destruction issue since I've pushed them really hard too. Unless the motor housing or prop are out of balance.

On the same battery and prop, ~ 85% @ 1200 W vs. 73% @ 1600 W does not make very much different in term of thrust and flight characteristic, IMO --> would love to see the 4315-490 kv on 15x8. That'd be perfect.

Vien
Does the Rimfire have a support bearing also called a concentric bearing between the flux ring and the bearing tube? Does the rimfire use a hub or collet?

Ken
Subsonic Ken is offline Find More Posts by Subsonic Ken
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:59 PM
Joined May 2005
24 Posts
I have preordered my kit and motor combo (Torque 4016T/500 brushless outrunner, Airboss Elite 80 Amp ESC). I am after some thoughts from those who have flown this plane, what was your preference:

15x6 XOAR on 6S Turnigy Nanotech 3000mah, or
15x8 XOAR ON 6S Turnigy Nanotech 3000 mah.

Is there a noticeable difference - what works, what doesnt?

Cheers
Chris
Haggy is offline Find More Posts by Haggy