Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:49 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
Well this if going to be my fatty but instead of my biggun I'm going REAL biggun!

I just baught into a 1979 C152A

Ill be getting vids of both
I like the 152's, very affordable. I have done a couple interiors in them over the years. Nice basic plane. I saw the post over in the ProBro after reading this one. Your going to love the Edge, It's a sweet airframe. The nice thing about the EF 60" size is they fly way bigger than you would think but retain that edginess that a 48" has. The best of both worlds between large and small planes. And they are affordable and easily transported.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:05 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Nice find. There are 8 in stock at this link. Aside from a customer service complaint, the reviews are generally good. I wonder if anybody put it on a 3D plane. One guy has a 15x8 prop, so it might do well.
I was looking at those a year and a half ago when I was considering if I wanted to do larger electrics quite awhile ago. I decided quick after running my old Senior Falcon's Super Tiger .61 it wouldn't be Nitro. I think I'll stick to electrics at least up to the 60" size.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I like the 152's, very affordable. I have done a couple interiors in them over the years. Nice basic plane. I saw the post over in the ProBro after reading this one. Your going to love the Edge, It's a sweet airframe. The nice thing about the EF 60" size is they fly way bigger than you would think but retain that edginess that a 48" has. The best of both worlds between large and small planes. And they are affordable and easily transported.

That's my thaughts on the 60".

I love 152s. I've got 60 hours in them. Not alot but I've done it all in them. Off airport opps, short field opps, aerobatics. I learned my aerobatics in the very first 152 aerobat produced! I forget its tail # but it was the prototype and upgraded after production started. +6 -3 in a plane that size is alot, lol.

I wish they had more power but with a climb prop try get the job done. They could use some more rudder too. Its too easy to run out of rudder in a slip or crosswind.

I havnt even got my edge yet but I showed it to a friend and he wants to trade me a 50cc to it, lol but I'm not going to let it go without wringing it out first!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:13 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Ok. Rounding my gear up and getting ready to start the build.

I've ran into some VERY interesting numbers!

With the recommended gear of motor/esc lipo and servos that EF recommends their total weight (not including the airframe) would be 1317grams

BUT the weight of my Saito 91, 4 6965hb servos and throttle servo would be .... Ready for it..... 765grams!!! Over 500 grams lighter than the recommended E setup! I didn't include the fuel tank or nitro weight but its deffinatly under 500grams.

So.... My nitro should, even after extra ca and maybe some bracing in key stress areas, and motor mount, fuel tank, and life battery it should be lighter than the E powered version!!! Wow! I might even go for a Saito 82 and save almost 100grams there too with little of any power loss!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:22 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,913 Posts
Quote:
Ok. Rounding my gear up and getting ready to start the build.

I've ran into some VERY interesting numbers!

With the recommended gear of motor/esc lipo and servos that EF recommends their total weight (not including the airframe) would be 1317grams

BUT the weight of my Saito 91, 4 6965hb servos and throttle servo would be .... Ready for it..... 765grams!!! Over 500 grams lighter than the recommended E setup! I didn't include the fuel tank or nitro weight but its deffinatly under 500grams.

So.... My nitro should, even after extra ca and maybe some bracing in key stress areas, and motor mount, fuel tank, and life battery it should be lighter than the E powered version!!! Wow! I might even go for a Saito 82 and save almost 100grams there too with little of any power loss!
Except this plane flies much better with the weight. It's so floaty that even with the recommended components and the weight that leads to it's still like flying a big foamy. But with the weight it locks in much better and flies way more solid, and also needs some weight for the higher energy stuff. The inertia works in your favor. Even at the weight it's still floaty enough for slow low 3D stuff. When I first got mine I tried to keep it light, I was using 4s 3300 mah batts. and it was like flying a helium balloon. When I went to the 4s 4000 mah batts it locked in and felt much more solid. And yet it harriers around and will do both harrier landings and elevator landings like a big old foamy. On the really windy days I'll go to a 4s 4500mah batt, it does lose some of the floatiness but it really improves wind penetration and is still plenty light to fly.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:28 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
True! I can go MG on the servos, swap upto a Saito hunnert and use a 6v nicd rx battery.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Except this plane flies much better with the weight. It's so floaty that even with the recommended components and the weight that leads to it's still like flying a big foamy. But with the weight it locks in much better and flies way more solid, and also needs some weight for the higher energy stuff. The inertia works in your favor. Even at the weight it's still floaty enough for slow low 3D stuff. When I first got mine I tried to keep it light, I was using 4s 3300 mah batts. and it was like flying a helium balloon. When I went to the 4s 4000 mah batts it locked in and felt much more solid. And yet it harriers around and will do both harrier landings and elevator landings like a big old foamy. On the really windy days I'll go to a 4s 4500mah batt, it does lose some of the floatiness but it really improves wind penetration and is still plenty light to fly.
Completely agree... a little weight on this bird is your friend. It's already very floaty, borderline too floaty if you have less than a 6s 3300 or 4s 4000 in it. I tried some smaller packs a few times thinking "lighter is better" and in this case it was not. It didn't tumble well, had very weak rotations on pop tops, wasn't locked in to lines, and had hardly any capabilities of violent maneuvers.. It would have been absolutely perfect for someone learning 3d, and it was effortless in harrier (even with added weight it's effortless in harrier), but it wasn't much fun flying that light, it was actually relatively boring... I don't know what the weight of glow fuel, tank, ect.. will be, but I would re-think the mentality of making this plane lighter than the recommended setup. It's honestly nowhere near as fun to fly if it's too light.. It completely lacks the 'extreme' that you expect from extreme flight. Do you have a bunch of Saito's lying around or are you actually wanting a glow setup??
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:54 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,913 Posts
Quote:
True! I can go MG on the servos, swap upto a Saito hunnert and use a 6v nicd rx battery.
Now this you have to do some vids on. I know what you'll do with this plane and can't wait to see it. On mine I'm using 25gm servo's in the ailerons and rudder, and a 47gm servo on the elevator. The extra weight on the tail doesn't bother at all.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:03 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
I wasn't going for oober light. I actually thaught it would be too heavy on e I held the 91 to the nose but I'm very suprized its so light.

I want glow. I don't like electric and don't have the money to get the setup, lipos and chargers. I hate waiting on lipos to charge and love fuel and fly. I live the sound and tuning.
Baught this Saito 91 for $10 but I can get ahold of a nice hunnert as well.

Ill get a big 6v 4200mah rx pack and that should make up the difference a bit. I can always add ballast. Even at 6lbs I think the 91 will rip it close to what a 5-6s setup would with a smaller dia prop.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:04 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
I wasn't going for oober light. I actually thaught it would be too heavy on e I held the 91 to the nose but I'm very suprized its so light.

I want glow. I don't like electric and don't have the money to get the setup, lipos and chargers. I hate waiting on lipos to charge and love fuel and fly. I live the sound and tuning.
Baught this Saito 91 for $10 but I can get ahold of a nice hunnert as well.

Ill get a big 6v 4200mah rx pack and that should make up the difference a bit. I can always add ballast. Even at 6lbs I think the 91 will rip it close to what a 5-6s setup would with a smaller dia prop.
For $10 it's worth a shot!!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:44 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Yup. Needs bearings but what's about all. It was my engine before. Sold it and its come back to me with about 1/2gal more time on it. Lol
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:56 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,609 Posts
Asking for info...is a four stroke what one would want if going nitro?

Not 2 stroke?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:24 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Its not ideal, sure. A little extra vibration and a larger prop ... But I chose 4 stroke because I have ALL 2 strokes and occasionally I like hearing a 4 stroke and I love how a 4 stroke rips a 4 pitch prop.

This is also my nice bird so I don't want a big sloppy muffler or big round head sticking out of its pretty cowling.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:28 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Asking for info...is a four stroke what one would want if going nitro?

Not 2 stroke?
if I remember correctly from my hobby shop days back in the nitro era, the 3d guys preferred 4 because they generate better torque while two stroke had better top end speed.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:59 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
That's parcially true. Yes 4s make more low end torque and give you a little more instant oomph but there is basically no top end. 2/3 and full are about the same. A 2s with a macs or CCP/mcp pipe will do the same but have way more top end that jut keeps giving and giving. Both are fine for slow floaty 3D hovering and harriering but when you put your big boy pants on and start doing the higher end maneuvers and high energy stuff a 4s haut doesn't make the power and shear amount of fast airflow over the tail and Ron's to make some maneuvers happen.

I like the performance of any 2s over any 4s but this is not my go-to 3D bird. Any one of my 6 profiles take that spot. This is my persicion plane. I want to practice my persicion stuff and not just throttle and stick bang my way around the sky. So the 4s it is sense I won't need the above 2s type performance. That's for the flatties with this one on 4s I can swing a 15/4 and rip that prop at wot and not fear over speed or flutter while carving some lines!