HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:32 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,313 Posts
I've used twisted and non twisted. Neither have ever given me a bit of trouble. If you have enough length, you can twist the flat wire yourself. Maybe apply a little heat to it with a heat gun or a hair dryer. As you probably know, the twist is supposed to help prevent interference.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:47 AM
USA, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
339 Posts
Thanks Dead, I have used both but this is my first 3D plane and first time I have used digital servos so I was curious if it were more important with digital servos. After doing a google search and reading the opinions I am more confused than ever due to the differing opinions of the "experts" just wanted to see what others with this plane have had success with. Thanks again
Beancounter is offline Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:16 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
well my hat kept blowing off. FL east coast is rarely calm.
If you get over to the Tampa area send me a PM and we can go burn a few packs at SPARKS.

The East coast seens to get wind battered a lot worse than the West cosast. we still get it, but near the end of the day it usually lkays down real nice. yesterday the last two hours were perfect.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:38 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
If you get over to the Tampa area send me a PM and we can go burn a few packs at SPARKS.

The East coast seens to get wind battered a lot worse than the West cosast. we still get it, but near the end of the day it usually lkays down real nice. yesterday the last two hours were perfect.
Will do. I'd like to see your flying in person, seems hardcore. If you ever come over to the space coast, let me know. The compound in Palm Bay is worth a trip, empty barren land....

Yeah, this morning was nice too. Im trapped in the office till tomorrow afternoon.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:44 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,070 Posts
Quote:
Will do. I'd like to see your flying in person, seems hardcore. If you ever come over to the space coast, let me know. The compound in Palm Bay is worth a trip, empty barren land....
My friend Jim Demeritte is the president of the free flight club over there, and he only lives abgout two minutes from the field. He is a multi time RC pylon racing champion and bad ass builder. Please drop over and say hello to him. He is one of the best friends I have ever had and he's a great guy. He's got an RC plane but no one to fly with. Maybe you can help him get some enthusiasm back and invite him to fly with the RC guys.

Jim tells me all the time about the Palm Bay land. I sure wish we had something like that here, but outside of two clubs, there is no land left at all.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:08 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,396 Posts
Quote:
My friend Jim Demeritte is the president of the free flight club over there, and he only lives abgout two minutes from the field. He is a multi time RC pylon racing champion and bad ass builder. Please drop over and say hello to him. He is one of the best friends I have ever had and he's a great guy. He's got an RC plane but no one to fly with. Maybe you can help him get some enthusiasm back and invite him to fly with the RC guys.

Jim tells me all the time about the Palm Bay land. I sure wish we had something like that here, but outside of two clubs, there is no land left at all.
They just had a big free fly event where I am talking about. Did he take part i it? yeah, other than that there is the beach or the AMA club at the land fill, that's lovely I bet...

The old crew flies on weekend mornings fri-sun then the younger guys come out later. I occasionally go through the week too if I am not stuck in office but I usually go every weekend afternoon if my wife lets me or unless I go fishing. Let him know...
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:14 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
Thanks Dead, I have used both but this is my first 3D plane and first time I have used digital servos so I was curious if it were more important with digital servos. After doing a google search and reading the opinions I am more confused than ever due to the differing opinions of the "experts" just wanted to see what others with this plane have had success with. Thanks again
I BELIEVE twisted is better. But I have no experience to prove it. I have used both with analogue and digital on 60" planes. No problems ever due to those wires. Flying skills, uh yeah....but not the wires.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,309 Posts
I fly at a site with some interference that happens between the RX and servo... with long runs(tail servos) I was seeing some major glitches. Put a RF ring and twisted extensions and all went away. I use twisted extensions on all my planes now. HK has packs of 5 or so for like under five bucks... I honestly was expecting junk when I first ordered them, but they are very good quality.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:26 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,070 Posts
Quote:
They just had a big free fly event where I am talking about. Did he take part i it?
I don't think so. He was the CD. The guy is a hardcore modeller.

Quote:
yeah, other than that there is the beach or the AMA club at the land fill, that's lovely I bet...
All of us RC guys will be glowing in the dark in our old age from flying an all these toxic places.

Quote:
The old crew flies on weekend mornings fri-sun then the younger guys come out later.
Funny how the morning guys never seem to get alkong with the afternoon guys, isn't it?

Quote:
I occasionally go through the week too if I am not stuck in office but I usually go every weekend afternoon if my wife lets me or unless I go fishing. Let him know
If guys are flying free flight he is probably there. Just wander up, ask for Jim and introduce yourself.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:39 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,396 Posts
Quote:
I don't think so. He was the CD. The guy is a hardcore modeller.

All of us RC guys will be glowing in the dark in our old age from flying an all these toxic places.

Funny how the morning guys never seem to get alkong with the afternoon guys, isn't it?

If guys are flying free flight he is probably there. Just wander up, ask for Jim and introduce yourself.

Yeah, definitely clicks out there and they have shifts. ha

I'll look for him out there...
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:14 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
I like twisted servo extensions of the same gauge twisted wire coming out of the servos.

Twisted is better. I am an actual expert at EMI (sorry to people who are offended by others who are confident in their competence).

If you have an extension that is twisted and the servo wire coming out of the servo is twisted and the wire gauge and twist rate is the same, you can not get any better with what is currently available.

To be fair, going with normal straight wires probably won't result in any discernable problems on most electric planes. And I am going untwisted on my 7245s.

But you will never find a problem that exists with twisted servo wires that will be resolved by going to untwisted servo wires of the same gauge, other than your plane may be slightly lighter with the untwisted servo wires.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:21 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Taildraggerrc.com has fantastic extensions at very good prices. I try and get all my extensions from them now.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:40 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,150 Posts
I got a few from taildraggers as well. Real nice twisted HD extensions. Pretty good prices as well.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:01 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I I honestly was expecting junk when I first ordered them, but they are very good quality.
What gauge is it? Link?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:02 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,150 Posts
They have 22AWG
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10