HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:48 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
steady wind is fun! gusty wind is unhealthy for my pants and plane if attempting down low stuff....
exactly
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:56 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
exactly
hehe.... but exciting aswell at the same time...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,735 Posts
But nothing beats a dead calm day for 3D... Then it's so predictable. Best way to expand your skills.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:07 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,020 Posts
Quote:
steady wind is fun! gusty wind is unhealthy for my pants and plane if attempting down low stuff....
True dat! But sometimes the stupid filter slips a little and it usually leads to repairs. I've rebuilt my Edge at least sixs times over the last 2 years, fortunately only one due to dumb thumbs. The rest due to equipment failure.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
But nothing beats a dead calm day for 3D... Then it's so predictable. Best way to expand your skills.
Monrings up here are least windy, but it's also when the field is most busy and least condusive to 3D flight.

But on those days when it is calm all day...pure heaven. The early birds go home for their afternoon naps, and the field is all ours.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
exactly, was trying to practice rolling harriers just alil bit ago. to windy to learn. but was fun for everything else
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:19 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
exactly, was trying to practice rolling harriers just alil bit ago. to windy to learn. but was fun for everything else
actually not really... in wind its also good to practice and harriers and rollers... you are just standing in 1 place and learning to correct your movements for left and right....
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:23 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined May 2010
1,867 Posts
Sorry, guys- I didn't mean to state this info in absolutes. The hand example is great because it highlights how relative wind and AOA work together. I think what makes the discussion more interesting is that the relative wind we felt on our hands was due entirely to a breeze, or the driver's gas pedal.

Relatively speaking our prop wash/airflow is substantially higher than any breeze- which speaks to why throttle has the effect it does. A relative change in throttle creates the relative change in propwash, which increases airflow over the surface.
This forum isn't the right place to discuss this level of aerodynamics. Sorry guys- back to great planes!

I'm happy to continue via PM's. I agree wind has an impact- we can see that with upwind/downwind harriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Actually the aoa has the most impact depending on wind, the higher the aoa the more wing area exposed to the wind and the more lift due to more force. Remember as a kid holding your hand out the window of the car, holding your hand level had very little effect, but change the aoa and it has a lot of effect. As far as prop wash, it also will be affected by the wind. Going against the wind you add the wind speed to the prop wash so need less throttle for the same amount of air moving across the surface of the plane, plus the added lift generated by the wind depending on aoa. And the opposite is true going with the wind, requires a lot more throttle to maintain a harrier and the harrier is going to be at a higher speed due to loss of lift. All these forces together have an impact on a plane no matter what attitude it's in.
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:08 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
actually not really... in wind its also good to practice and harriers and rollers... you are just standing in 1 place and learning to correct your movements for left and right....
it was for a few minutes then the wind started swirling in different directions with snow blowing harder. made things inconsistent
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:18 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
but that is the best part! once you fly for a month in 10mph gusty wind and one day you get 1-2mph, you will literally feel like in paradise and look much better flyer!

i actually need to haul my bottom to the field on wednesday but 12mph wind is a bit too much for me... and on tuesday most likely im signing up for a flying club!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:54 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
oh im pretty much use to flying in the wind. especially with my balsas but trying to learn rolling harriers in 10 with 20 mph gusting and a mini blizzard with my foamy, isnt to easy to learn a new manuveur in. when im not trying to learn something new i like the wind. i also like to practice crosswind crab and harrier landings alot when theres some wind.

wish i had a flying club that wasnt over a hour drive. im on call at work everyday cept 4 days out of the month, so i cant go to far. gets kinda lonely being the only 3d guy around here lol.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:40 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
well my hat kept blowing off. FL east coast is rarely calm.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:19 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
well my hat kept blowing off. FL east coast is rarely calm.
Yeah within 10-15 miles of the coast can be pretty bad, not that we don't get our fair share 45 miles inland here. If I lived where you do, I would probably be taking up kites or sailplanes
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:42 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
a sail plane cant 3d But thats why im taking on FPV. I know I can fly a plane in circles in wind no problem.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
406 Posts
I'm setting up my new edge and was wondering what the prevailing thought was on servo extensions. I have some brand new 24" heavy gauge extensions but they are not the twisted type. Any reason not to use them or should I go by some twisted ones? Thanks
Beancounter is online now Find More Posts by Beancounter