HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:18 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,857 Posts
I bang my MXS in from hover. Flew a good many flights after. Then one day my rudder jamed in almost full deflection. A miracle I managed to land. The plastic top of the servo, were the vertical pin seats into a hole, was damaged. The hole had been distorted on one side and the pin finally worked lose.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:26 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
I bang my MXS in from hover. Flew a good many flights after. Then one day my rudder jamed in almost full deflection. A miracle I managed to land. The plastic top of the servo, were the vertical pin seats into a hole, was damaged. The hole had been distorted on one side and the pin finally worked lose.
I've heard a few stories that the 225MGs and 5245s are susceptable to that. One of my friends routinely replaces the top case on his servos to avoid the kind of wear you are talking about. I'll probably buy some case tops and replace them when I have the servos out of my 60" Extra again. Those have a buttload of tie one them.

I also had the pins on both my rudder and elevator servos pull out like that when I moderately crashed a 60" MXS.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:23 AM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
Ok, I certainly would rather be safe than sorry. I am pulling them all and inspecting them. Better to do it now than chance it and lose a whole airframe.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:22 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,975 Posts
There is a thread somewhere here on RCG describing how to fix this problem. I believe you drill all the way through the top of the case where the pin fits, then take a longer length of piano wire the same dia. as the pin and replace the pin by inserting it through the hole all the way into the servo till it bottoms out in the case, then cut it off leaving about 1/8" protrubing through the top of the case. Then just put some Welders, or Goop or even epoxy over the exposed part of the pin to lock it in place. Apparently this fixes the problem. I'll see if I can find the thread and verify this.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,441 Posts
If I remember correctly, the fix/thread is necessary in the latest 5245 servos, though. I don't do it on mine.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,857 Posts
Funny thing is that this was with a brand new set of 7245's. They are supposed to have a more robust casing to fix the problem. In all fairness, the plane did fall out of a hover and wonked on the ground, not tail first, but it did wonk down pretty hard.....
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:38 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,975 Posts
It is in the Slope Soaring forum, the wire dia. is .047 and you cut it to 14.5mm length. Take an appropriate size drill bit and drill it out from inside the top of the case. Then remove the old pin, put the new one through the gear and make sure it's seated all the way down, then put the case top back on and put a dab of Goop over the top to seal it and lock it down. Seems simple enough, they list it as a fix for the HS225mg's and the 5245's as well.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:36 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross View Post
So I finally had a chance to fly the Edge for the first time the other day. I can't say enough good things about how nice it flies. I finally got the nerve to try a pop-top in real life during the maiden and couldn't stop doing them. I connected with this plane faster than anything else I've flown, and to say it inspires confidence is an understatement. I'm late to the party, but I am still glad I finally got one. This plane and I have become fast friends.

Unfortunately, on my second flight I hit LVC rather early (4:40) on my Glacier 6s 3300 and put it in. I was flying at a high energy pace and hadn't calculated my flight times on these used batteries. I didn't factor in that I was depleting the battery so fast but I was flying a lot more towards WOT than I usually do. Smashed up the left wing, SFG and pulled out the aileron. I've fixed and re covered everything and it looks half decent for my first cover job ever. I'll post a few pics of the repair in case anyone cares to see it. In the meantime, here's my maiden (new to me) and the 2nd flight with the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEoma7UCEqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMG3m-Y2oM
woah! grats and sorry Seems strong though.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:27 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
sooo....finally i fixed my issues with edge... and it was rx fault! i put my year old rx from slick (before from 57") into edge, after that i spend 1 battery trying to figure out trims , batteries 2,3 and 4 wondering whats wrong with the plane and why i keep missing timing on rolls, why i keep over/ under-controlling everything... and then by the end of fourth battery it hit me... i was running slick with around 15% higher expo everywhere... when i set my expo to where i like it, edge become like a totally different plane! finally seems edge flies like it should! only thing left is to swap out aelerons from 7235 to 7245, but thats not really nessecary for a while...

but on the downside... i think i will like 60" laser more....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:30 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
So I finally had a chance to fly the Edge for the first time the other day. I can't say enough good things about how nice it flies. I finally got the nerve to try a pop-top in real life during the maiden and couldn't stop doing them. I connected with this plane faster than anything else I've flown, and to say it inspires confidence is an understatement. I'm late to the party, but I am still glad I finally got one. This plane and I have become fast friends.

Unfortunately, on my second flight I hit LVC rather early (4:40) on my Glacier 6s 3300 and put it in. I was flying at a high energy pace and hadn't calculated my flight times on these used batteries. I didn't factor in that I was depleting the battery so fast but I was flying a lot more towards WOT than I usually do. Smashed up the left wing, SFG and pulled out the aileron. I've fixed and re covered everything and it looks half decent for my first cover job ever. I'll post a few pics of the repair in case anyone cares to see it. In the meantime, here's my maiden (new to me) and the 2nd flight with the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEoma7UCEqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMG3m-Y2oM
now that's strange...by the sound of it, it was soft cutoff... doesn't chopping throttle and than advancing it doesn't reset it? giving you back full power for a while?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:42 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
now that's strange...by the sound of it, it was soft cutoff... doesn't chopping throttle and than advancing it doesn't reset it? giving you back full power for a while?
some people don't react that fast. i pancaked my 51 slick when throttle cut, forgot to do that. up high yeah you remember
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:45 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
some people don't react that fast. i pancaked my 51 slick when throttle cut, forgot to do that. up high yeah you remember
yeah well..i did the same once on my 42"... but after that it went in as a reflex to reset throttle first thing when im not sure do i have it...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:44 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Lol yeah I tried to get it reset but it all happened 10 feet above the ground and happened real fast. Good thing is she is now completely repaired and ready to fly this Sunday.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:12 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Lol yeah I tried to get it reset but it all happened 10 feet above the ground and happened real fast. Good thing is she is now completely repaired and ready to fly this Sunday.
awesome. good to hear it wasn't a loss. I just got done flying mine. I love doing harrier rolls with it, does them easily. Flats spins are graceful too. I flew my 51 slick a lot today as well. I really like them both now. I've been hucking the slick pretty low and actually did my first elevator to harrier landing. Tried it a second time and got caught up in the grass but no damage to the slick. Big progress for me. haven't been flying foamies for a couple of weeks now.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbreaker View Post
awesome. Good to hear it wasn't a loss. I just got done flying mine. I love doing harrier rolls with it, does them easily. Flats spins are graceful too. I flew my 51 slick a lot today as well. I really like them both now. I've been hucking the slick pretty low and actually did my first elevator to harrier landing. Tried it a second time and got caught up in the grass but no damage to the slick. Big progress for me. Haven't been flying foamies for a couple of weeks now.
woot!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1