HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:16 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,572 Posts
Is that the Xoar 16 x 7 or 8?

I have never heard my motrofly sound anything like that before????
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:21 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,192 Posts
I really think the Talon makes a huge difference, and I've heard from guys right here say the Castle Ice 100 is just as good.... it was the 16x8... pretty sure.. that's why I didn't commit.

Frank has the 16x7 on the Edge, I think. I'll find out.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:25 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,572 Posts
Thanks That was ridiculous. I have the same motor so it must be the Talon. ANy readings on amps, thrust?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:52 AM
2.3 D Hack Bradenton FL
Joined Dec 2010
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Is that the Xoar 16 x 7 or 8?

I have never heard my motrofly sound anything like that before????
16x8 Xoar

The buzzing was from a couple loose cowl screws

That MXS has a CC Bec Pro in it. Just wanted the redundancy till we got some time on the Talon . Make sure it will live first.

Never did check thrust and if I rermember right the amps were around 80?

What a FUN PLANE
frankjp is online now Find More Posts by frankjp
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:58 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,192 Posts
Yeah, they peaked at 80 and the Watts peaked at just over 1700, but settled in to ~1622W and ~72A... this is all on the ground. Even though I only flew it for 6 minutes, I would say that of the 60 class EXPs, that's the one I'd buy if I had to choose between the Extra, Edge, and MXS. We'll have to see what the Laser brings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:04 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,581 Posts
Thanks for the no music version AP. As always Tom awesome flying and I loved the vertical flat spins. Gotta try that when I get mine in the air again with a bit more altitude though. I'm going to need warmer weather before that happens, it's mighty cold out there now. I was about to say 19F but it dropped to 18F while I was looking at it. Geez
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Thanks for the no music version AP. As always Tom awesome flying and I loved the vertical flat spins. Gotta try that when I get mine in the air again with a bit more altitude though. I'm going to need warmer weather before that happens, it's mighty cold out there now. I was about to say 19F but it dropped to 18F while I was looking at it. Geez
Geez is right. I'm a weather-wuss now, officially. It's 66 now and wouldn't consider flying. Back to 75 for the weekend though.

This is a new maneuver I'd like to try, now that you reminded me of that pinwheel poptop thing Tom does...

Fly a 90 degree up-line as if you are going to do a simple Hammerhead or stall turn. Instead of kicking the rudder over, go into a tail slide first, then kick the rudder to one side while holding the wings on the same plain so the nose falls out, then continue the rotation so that you descend in a vertical pinwheel. Get it down to the point where you can stop in a hover at the bottom, then pull out on the vertical and do it again just to prove you intended to do it the first time.

I don't think the Edge can do it -- maybe the MXS -- but no matter what, you'll need a big prop for the needed vectored thrust, and a lot of rudder authority.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:06 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post

Fly a 90 degree up-line as if you are going to do a simple Hammerhead or stall turn. Instead of kicking the rudder over, go into a tail slide first, then kick the rudder to one side while holding the wings on the same plain so the nose falls out, then continue the rotation so that you descend in a vertical pinwheel. Get it down to the point where you can stop in a hover at the bottom, then pull out on the vertical and do it again just to prove you intended to do it the first time.
Now that is a maneuver I'd like to see.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,572 Posts
Yeah! Have you seen it done?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:06 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,581 Posts
Ga back and watch the video at about 2:26. But I didn't see any tail slide.

Oh yea got a heat wave going now.. It's back up to 19 degrees
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:38 AM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
So I finally had a chance to fly the Edge for the first time the other day. I can't say enough good things about how nice it flies. I finally got the nerve to try a pop-top in real life during the maiden and couldn't stop doing them. I connected with this plane faster than anything else I've flown, and to say it inspires confidence is an understatement. I'm late to the party, but I am still glad I finally got one. This plane and I have become fast friends.

Unfortunately, on my second flight I hit LVC rather early (4:40) on my Glacier 6s 3300 and put it in. I was flying at a high energy pace and hadn't calculated my flight times on these used batteries. I didn't factor in that I was depleting the battery so fast but I was flying a lot more towards WOT than I usually do. Smashed up the left wing, SFG and pulled out the aileron. I've fixed and re covered everything and it looks half decent for my first cover job ever. I'll post a few pics of the repair in case anyone cares to see it. In the meantime, here's my maiden (new to me) and the 2nd flight with the crash.

Extreme Flight 60 Inch Edge 540T Maiden (4 min 4 sec)

Extreme Flight 60 inch Edge 540T, flight number 2, crash at end (1 min 49 sec)
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:04 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,333 Posts
Sorry about the mishap, but otherwise, good job and I can hear the joy in the videos. 4:40 is a little short. Make sure you check over your servos very well after a crash just in case you don't know. Even metal gear servos can get their teeth bent, and you can run into trouble...I almost had a disaster due to a servo I did not check sufficiently.

love the scheme on that great visibility.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:18 AM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Sorry about the mishap, but otherwise, good job and I can hear the joy in the videos. 4:40 is a little short. Make sure you check over your servos very well after a crash just in case you don't know. Even metal gear servos can get their teeth bent, and you can run into trouble...I almost had a disaster due to a servo I did not check sufficiently.

love the scheme on that great visibility.
Good info, thanks LW. Besides doing a live test by plugging the servo in and pulling and pushing against it, do you recommend actually pulling each servo and visually inspecting the teeth?
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:39 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,333 Posts
I had a servo once that seemed to be working on the ground but in the air was acting flaky. I took it apart and inspected, all looked good. Puzzled, I couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I looked again with a 10x magnifying glass. Then I saw the problem...bent tooth, just enough to cause binding in one direction. Replaced the gears and all was well.

Whether or not you want to do that I don't know. If you have movement and full throws on the ground, I would probably fly high, do a left and right KE, than an inverted pass.

*however* I am still learning, and I have had some mishaps that I was lucky to get out of and land safely, last being a rudder servo that was weak in one direction, discovered as I was entering a low KE pass....i was able to roll to straight and level before I hit the ground, go around, and land. I still haven't taken that servo apart to see what is wrong with it, but I guess teeth, as it was the flight after a mishap. I have had probably 5 servo failures in the air, all but one of them explainable due to previous incidents. The fifth is a puzzle to me, new plane, probably just an under powered servo for the violent tumbles I was doing with it.

Anyway, your call on what you should do. I have not had a crash due to servo failure but that is at least partially luck.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:51 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross View Post
Good info, thanks LW. Besides doing a live test by plugging the servo in and pulling and pushing against it, do you recommend actually pulling each servo and visually inspecting the teeth?
LoneWolf makes a good point.. I was hovering and it flipped over on me. Ground check proved all control surfaces were perfect. 2 or 3 flights later my elevator servo locked up in the down state and sent her to mother earth while I was on a landing approach. So do a good check..

BTW: This happened with another airplane not my edge.
livinma1 is online now Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by livinma1; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM.