HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:41 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Bet you would really enjoy a HV servo in the 60... world of difference. Nice flying BTW.
Thanks! Yeah, I tried Frank's planes and he has HV servos in his with 90+ oz/in of torque. Even with that on the MXS I could still feel a little bit of blow back at high speeds... but not anything to be concerned with. For those of you confused how you could have blowback on a 60" plane with 90+ oz/in of torque servos, here's how to test your plane.

Get your plane going slow; like either in a hover or just slow speed flight. Then nail full aileron in your favorite direction, then nail the throttle. You'll notice the roll rate is really fast. If your servo is really lacking in torque, you'll notice the roll rate slow as you hold full aileron and your plane increases in speed. If you have enough torque, the roll rate will get faster and faster as the plane flies faster.

The only way I can get blow back to happen with the 90+oz/in servos is if I fly full throttle and build up a lot of speed, THEN nail the aileron and I notice the roll rate is slower than the previous test. Also, with the 90+oz/in servo on Frank's MXS, when I come out of a dive at full throttle, the elevator will blow back a bit... but if I were sitting in the plane yanking on the stick with a cable going back to the elevator... I'd have the same problem

So, bottom line: most servos in this size range will have some form a blow back on these high performance planes, and I've tested them all the way up to 90+oz/in HV servos. I forget whether they were Hitec or JR. However, the Savox SH-1250MG servo has about 63oz/in, and therefore gets blow back at high speeds on a regular basis. But again, watch my videos. ALL of my 60" Edge videos are with those servos, so you can see it's not a big problem.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:31 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,260 Posts
Frank has the 3711's in the 60 Extra you flew, Tom, and 9411's in the MXS, I think. I doubt you'll fly one of his planes with a Hitec setup.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:59 AM
United States, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
409 Posts
I just about have the funds ready to put in an order for one of these babies, just can't decide between the stock power system offered or a motrolfly. Those off you on the power system offered by ef are you running a sep bec or is the bec on the airboss good enough. Thanks
Beancounter is online now Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:03 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,521 Posts
the air boss 80 for the 5245 servos is good in my opinion.

if you want to run 7245 or other HV servos, you will need an external BEC to get above 6v.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
if you want to run 7245 or other HV servos, you will need an external BEC to get above 6v.
Or a separate small 2S LiPo pack.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:00 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,521 Posts
Yeah, that would work too AV8TOR, good point.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:15 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
but still there is case of browning out on 4digital servos... yes, i know, you can run 4x5245(?) on internal bec, but would that not be stretching the bec? and as allways things you 'stretch' on regular basis tends to fail faster? ine more time, yes, you can run them on stock airboss, but personally i allways try to put external bec wherever i run digitals allaround... and quite a while ago i read that motrofly has a tad less power but runs much cooler while torque has lot of power but runs hotter...

im running 72xx servos, torque v2 and airboss on edge on 16x6 vess... only thing i would wish is a tad more top speed, but overall im very happy...

forgot, 2s 450 for servos (stole from my crack yak )
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Sep 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Or a separate small 2S LiPo pack.
What size pack would you run ?
Last edited by Beancounter; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
but still there is case of browning out on 4digital servos... yes, i know, you can run 4x5245(?) on internal bec, but would that not be stretching the bec? and as allways things you 'stretch' on regular basis tends to fail faster? ine more time, yes, you can run them on stock airboss, but personally i allways try to put external bec wherever i run digitals allaround... and quite a while ago i read that motrofly has a tad less power but runs much cooler while torque has lot of power but runs hotter...

im running 72xx servos, torque v2 and airboss on edge on 16x6 vess... only thing i would wish is a tad more top speed, but overall im very happy...
In my experience, and I abused the 5245 servos on an MXS, the BEC low point was 5.5 volts, as logged via a TM1000. I would also get 0 holds 0 fades. I was not concerned. I will be running this same setup in my 60" Edge 540.

That being said, I do talk to guys at the LHS who don't like any voltage droop on their BEC.

With the 5245s, I do recommend the heavy duty twisted servo extensions.

Also, on my AirBoss ESC, I both cut away a rectangle from the plastic covering to expose the heat sink for better cooling, and I also replaced the stock battery wires with 10 ga. wire from hobby king. I was running this setup with a 16x8 prop, too, in the heat of the summer, without baffles to my motor.

I am confident in it, based on my measurements.

However, I never fault somebody for being extra cautious. It is your plane, and your money, at risk.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:38 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
I just about have the funds ready to put in an order for one of these babies, just can't decide between the stock power system offered or a motrolfly. Those off you on the power system offered by ef are you running a sep bec or is the bec on the airboss good enough. Thanks
You may want to PM Frankjp... he's the only guy I know that has flown both power setups with different ESC's and separate BEC's and batteries with HV digital servos, and will give you his HO with no bias or agenda regarding power and brownouts. He cares less about brands and more about performance. I do a lot of the calculations, but always ask him to review them to make sure I'm not seeing what I want to see.

Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:51 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I
However, I never fault somebody for being extra cautious. It is your plane, and your money, at risk.
precisely... like i twice repeated... it will work, but external bec is better... (castle talon being exception lol)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:33 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
What Dix's pack would you run ?
I have plenty of Gens Ace 2S 450 packs but when I ordered my 6S 3300 Glacier packs I also bought a couple Glacier 2S 800. Not much heavier and wanted that extra buffer of flying time and voltage. Should be good for 6-8 flights but have not done a flight test yet. As I only have 4 6S 3300's I might just use them for 4 flights and swap while I re-charge the 6S. Hercdriver7777 is getting 4 flights on his 2S 450's.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:16 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
I have plenty of Gens Ace 2S 450 packs but when I ordered my 6S 3300 Glacier packs I also bought a couple Glacier 2S 800. Not much heavier and wanted that extra buffer of flying time and voltage. Should be good for 6-8 flights but have not done a flight test yet. As I only have 4 6S 3300's I might just use them for 4 flights and swap while I re-charge the 6S. Hercdriver7777 is getting 4 flights on his 2S 450's.
I also get about 4 flights on my 2s 450s. I have a lot of those little packs for my crack yak so it works out.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined Sep 2009
409 Posts
I have been looking around and the New Caslte Talon 90 amp esc looks like a winner with that 20 amp bec. Anybody use one yet? It has no motor leads so I was wondering if it could be set back far enough to get the COG set right. I am going with a Motrolfly motor an they have short motor leads, well at least the 3625 i have in my P-47 has shortish ones.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:09 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,260 Posts
Frankjp has the Talon in the 64 MXS with the Motrolfly 4315-480 and the 16 inch Xoar... here's Tom flying this combo while I took the video. I then got a pull on it too. Just incredible. This is the no music version so you can hear the motor screaming.... this motor came down cool enough to put another battery in and just go again on an 81 degree day. It's 9.5 minutes of two 6 minute flights.

Tom Kitt - Extreme Flight MXS EXP 60"__Flyin' O-P-P No Music (9 min 34 sec)
RCG Plus Member