HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:53 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
I will be, and have on the 60" Extra and 64" MXS with 5245s. Worked great for me, never noticed any blowback.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:32 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Programming servo deadband will help if they are not set consistently. I've never had this problem, but many others here at RCG have reported that the deadband isn't always set at a minimum, and is not consistent, on new servos. So, pick up or borrow a servo programmer. They are less than $30...I think I got mine for $22.
Thanks I will do that. Not sure if it's okay to fly like this so I will wait. My problem is I am almost on not stop travel till March now. Is this the one I should get? You mentioned this price range but I see they also have a $49 and a $60 one. I asked around my local flyers and no one has one. Are the instructions good enough to get buy or are there any online tips covering it?
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:38 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Thanks I will do that. Not sure if it's okay to fly like this so I will wait. My problem is I am almost on not stop travel till March now. Is this the one I should get? You mentioned this price range but I see they also have a $49 and a $60 one. I asked around my local flyers and no one has one. Are the instructions good enough to get buy or are there any online tips covering it?
Yeah, that's the one I'd get. You'll have to download some software, and you'll need a USB cable and a computer. Resetting the deadband is pretty easy, if you've ever done any ESC or BEC programming with Castle. Some of the other features are easy enough, but the user interface could be greatly improved in my opinion. If hitec would release the command specification, I'm pretty sure I could do a better user interface.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:23 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Koffler View Post
Is anyone running the stock power combo? Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks,
TK
Stock power combo is AWESOME!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:09 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Stock power combo is AWESOME!
but i just wouldnt feel comfy running more than 80A current on 80A esc... (yes, i know it works, but still goes a tad against common sense...) so im running 16x6 prop for about hig-60-low70A at 1400W and its still a sick power...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:11 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
but i just wouldnt feel comfy running more than 80A current on 80A esc... (yes, i know it works, but still goes a tad against common sense...) so im running 16x6 prop for about hig-60-low70A at 1400W and its still a sick power...
Are your amp measurements static?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:16 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Is this the one I should get? You mentioned this price range but I see they also have a $49 and a $60 one. I asked around my local flyers and no one has one. Are the instructions good enough to get buy or are there any online tips covering it?
I dont think you should. If you can, step up to the independent field version, the HFP25 like this:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3008302...Types&var=sbar

I have owned both, and prefer this one.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:20 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I will be, and have on the 60" Extra and 64" MXS with 5245s. Worked great for me, never noticed any blowback.
agreed... and I seal my hinge gaps.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:06 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Are your amp measurements static?
yes... (and yes, i know they go down in air, but still...) i might try xoar 16x7 but not 16x8....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:10 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
I dont think you should. If you can, step up to the independent field version, the HFP25 like this:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3008302...Types&var=sbar

I have owned both, and prefer this one.
I just wish I knew if that was the problem with the play first. Kind of sucks to pay $280 for premium servos and then need to pay another $60 to make one right.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:15 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
I just wish I knew if that was the problem with the play first. Kind of sucks to pay $280 for premium servos and then need to pay another $60 to make one right.
I feel your pain! I had a servo that would not center out, so I got it. I just set the dead bands last night on everything, and one servo was not set correctly.

I checked the dead bands to see where they were initially, then I did a factory reset which put it at 2:1, and then went back to the dead band setting and reset to 1:1.

Have not flown yet with using this tool.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:18 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,341 Posts
Quote:
I feel your pain! I had a servo that would not center out, so I got it. I just set the dead bands last night on everything, and one servo was not set correctly.

I checked the dead bands to see where they were initially, then I did a factory reset which put it at 2:1, and then went back to the dead band setting and reset to 1:1.

Have not flown yet with using this tool.
What model servo are they and on the one that was out could you feel the play around the neutral position? Which version of the programmer did you buy?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:28 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
What model servo are they and on the one that was out could you feel the play around the neutral position? Which version of the programmer did you buy?
Hitec 5245s on 3 airframes (57" Extra, 59" Slick, 60" Extra).

Not sure about feeling play around the neutral position.

I am using the HFP25 Field Programmer, and used it for the first time last night, but owned the lesser and did not like it - ended up selling it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:37 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
I figured it out, so I am sure you can. The instructions are pretty good. If you get stuck you can always call me. Right now the only thing I know how to do it reset eveything to default and then drop the deadbands.

The default resets the deadbands to 2, which should be good, but I still crank mine back to 1m just so I can really dial the thing in.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Hit

I am using the HFP25 Field Programmer, and used it for the first time last night, but owned the lesser and did not like it - ended up selling it.
How far out were your deadbands?

My understandijg is that Hi Tec hyas corrected the problem, but there are still a lot of servos out there with dead bands set at random.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin