HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Unless your running light gear and batteries... I don't think you could make the edge super tail heavy... I fly mine at the tube. Plane has a wide range in the CG department.
As far as the interference... It could be momentary and on one control. You still have total control of the other surfaces... 2.4 if fairly bulletproof in that regard. Do you fly in a area that may have towers or a populated area?
im flying hayin 3600 6s around 600g, hitec 72hv servos and torque/airboss...

actually it has happened to me before in different areas and with different planes, just edge is first one it happened twice in a row...

where i fly it is a BIIIIIIIIG football park where on one side is hig woltage lines. but i dont fly near them... and even if they cause intereference, wouldnt it dissapear when i fly away?

anyway, i need more batteries!!!!!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Last edited by rimaarts; Dec 19, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:39 PM
can't buy vaporware
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
If you hit a dead end regarding RF, check your servo gears with a magnifying glass. Maybe something intermitently binds causing over current condition...not sure if you can monitor via telemetry your RX/servo voltage, but that would help troubleshoot the problem too.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Hey everyone, so I'm in a slight dilemma here.

About three months ago I purchased a 3DHS 58 Edge. My intention was to use a DM4315-714 with a 4S 3850 65C and Andromeda night lights (AuroraRC custom made them to fit 60" planes) on it. So far I haven't built it (will do when I get my academic work out the way over Janurary ) but I'm just concerned about the weight. The lights will add 150g to the 58 and as I understand the 58 doesn't cope as well with weight as the EF 60. So what I've decided to do is to buy a 60 Edge and put the lights on there instead

Now here's the dilemma:
1) Is the DM4315-714 powerful enough for the 60? Or should I get a Torque MKII and run off 6S?

2) If I go the 6S/Torque route, what battery would you recommend? Bear in mind I'll be adding 150g of weight to the airframe with the lights so I guess the 3300 65C will be a good choice as its not too heavy?

3) How much flight time will I get with a 6S 3300 or 2600? Preferably I'd like at least four minutes

By the way, I'm astonished how well the EF 60 copes with weight I sold mine due to having a lack of space but when I did have it I put a 6S 5000 in there (an 800g battery! ) and it flew just as floaty as a 3850 5S, haha! So that's why I'm choosing this airframe for the lights as the 150g added to it shouldn't be a problem whereas I fear it will be on the 3DHS 58 Edge

Oh just one last thing, what servos would you guys recommend? The 7245s have been good to me on my 59 Slick (apart from a bit of jitter) but would you recommend the JR HV DS3711 over them? And if so, what are the best servo arms for them?

Many thanks!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
im running 600g battery and its still nice and floaty... it feels right! its hayin 6s 3600 30-40c...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
im flying hayin 3600 6s around 600g, hitec 72hv servos and torque/airboss...

actually it has happened to me before in different areas and with different planes, just edge is first one it happened twice in a row...

where i fly it is a BIIIIIIIIG football park where on one side is hig woltage lines. but i dont fly near them... and even if they cause intereference, wouldnt it dissapear when i fly away?

anyway, i need more batteries!!!!!

i was trying to think about radio interference and i have one tought in the back of my mind... im running 9channel carbon fuselage receiver(i just could buy it cheaper than ar8000), it comes with really long antennas, and really long antena for sattelite... and also with some mounting pieces to route those antennas... could the thing that i did not specially route antennas cause interference of somekind?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
On loan to Texas
Ohio AV8TOR's Avatar
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Hey everyone, so I'm in a slight dilemma here.

About three months ago I purchased a 3DHS 58 Edge. My intention was to use a DM4315-714 with a 4S 3850 65C and Andromeda night lights (AuroraRC custom made them to fit 60" planes) on it. So far I haven't built it (will do when I get my academic work out the way over Janurary ) but I'm just concerned about the weight. The lights will add 150g to the 58 and as I understand the 58 doesn't cope as well with weight as the EF 60. So what I've decided to do is to buy a 60 Edge and put the lights on there instead

Now here's the dilemma:
1) Is the DM4315-714 powerful enough for the 60? Or should I get a Torque MKII and run off 6S?

2) If I go the 6S/Torque route, what battery would you recommend? Bear in mind I'll be adding 150g of weight to the airframe with the lights so I guess the 3300 65C will be a good choice as its not too heavy?

3) How much flight time will I get with a 6S 3300 or 2600? Preferably I'd like at least four minutes

By the way, I'm astonished how well the EF 60 copes with weight I sold mine due to having a lack of space but when I did have it I put a 6S 5000 in there (an 800g battery! ) and it flew just as floaty as a 3850 5S, haha! So that's why I'm choosing this airframe for the lights as the 150g added to it shouldn't be a problem whereas I fear it will be on the 3DHS 58 Edge

Oh just one last thing, what servos would you guys recommend? The 7245s have been good to me on my 59 Slick (apart from a bit of jitter) but would you recommend the JR HV DS3711 over them? And if so, what are the best servo arms for them?

Many thanks!
So I had the same dilemma and did a lot of the same research you did. I ordered a 4315-714 with the intentions of getting the 3DHS 57" Extra but since changed my mind to the 60" Edge. Ken was kind enough in my case to swap it for the -480 so I could run 6S. In my case I did not have any 4S packs so I needed to buy either size I went with. I had conversations with Chris at EF and he said as long as you can get 1300 watts you will be happy with it. The -714 will get you that but a small problem is the packs are a little light requiring them to be way up in the cowl. Maybe you can use the lights to your advantage there. I switched in part because the 6S packs were not going to cost more because they need to be smaller mah.
Ken only charges like $30 to re-wind so that is an option for you too.

My motor should be here tomorrow. Good luck with your decision.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:16 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,257 Posts
The 480Kv Motrolfly or the 500Kv Torque on 6S is the sweat spot for this plane because you can run all the way up to 1600-plus Watts with the 16x8 Xoar. The 22.2 to 23.4 volts combined with the 480 to 500 Kv combined with the ability to swing a 16x8, means that you have so many more high power options. 714Kv means that the 16x6 prop is only a possibility and it would have to be on 4S (15v) if you ever expect to see anything near a 6 minute flight time. and that would require a 4400mAh battery. And that's only 1265 Watts and a very high 84 Amps at 15v. A 15x8 would give you 1300 Watts and 87 Amps on the 4S.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:43 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,738 Posts
If it will handle 85 amps prop it to that and it will give you about 1300 watts... Not ballistic but ok. Now as far as battery size... Plane will be light and I bet you could get 5.5 mins.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
im running 600g battery and its still nice and floaty... it feels right! its hayin 6s 3600 30-40c...
Exactly! I ran an 800g battery in this and still felt floaty I think this plane is equipped with an antigravity device, haha!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:58 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
So I had the same dilemma and did a lot of the same research you did. I ordered a 4315-714 with the intentions of getting the 3DHS 57" Extra but since changed my mind to the 60" Edge. Ken was kind enough in my case to swap it for the -480 so I could run 6S. In my case I did not have any 4S packs so I needed to buy either size I went with. I had conversations with Chris at EF and he said as long as you can get 1300 watts you will be happy with it. The -714 will get you that but a small problem is the packs are a little light requiring them to be way up in the cowl. Maybe you can use the lights to your advantage there. I switched in part because the 6S packs were not going to cost more because they need to be smaller mah.
Ken only charges like $30 to re-wind so that is an option for you too.

My motor should be here tomorrow. Good luck with your decision.
Many thanks for your reply! I think from reading this I'll get the MKII; easier to get hold of where I am and the size as I understand fits slightly better on this airframe
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
The 480Kv Motrolfly or the 500Kv Torque on 6S is the sweat spot for this plane because you can run all the way up to 1600-plus Watts with the 16x8 Xoar. The 22.2 to 23.4 volts combined with the 480 to 500 Kv combined with the ability to swing a 16x8, means that you have so many more high power options. 714Kv means that the 16x6 prop is only a possibility and it would have to be on 4S (15v) if you ever expect to see anything near a 6 minute flight time. and that would require a 4400mAh battery. And that's only 1265 Watts and a very high 84 Amps at 15v. A 15x8 would give you 1300 Watts and 87 Amps on the 4S.
You're right there! 16x8 is just not really viable for the 714 (although I guess you could change the throttle curve ) But I think I'll get the MKII as suggested, easier and cheaper to get where I am, fits better, and from what I've read it's awesome
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
If it will handle 85 amps prop it to that and it will give you about 1300 watts... Not ballistic but ok. Now as far as battery size... Plane will be light and I bet you could get 5.5 mins.
Indeed My Slick 59 which is about a whole pound lighter has great power on the 714. Although I think I were to add an extra pound it would translate the power from awesome to average, haha! So I think I'll get the MKII on 6S 3300 which is fairly light as is so adding 150g with the lights shouldn't be too much of a problem
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:05 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Many thanks for your replies everyone! MKII on 6S 3300 65C with Andromeda lights it is

As for servos, still deciding between the HV DS3711 and the HS7245... Decisions decisions, haha!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:11 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,257 Posts
If you can afford the JR servos, there is no debate IMO.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
If you can afford the JR servos, there is no debate IMO.
Good thing I can, haha! So I'll go for them then What servo arms would you recommend for them? Or are the ones that come with them okay?

Thanks!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Extreme Flight 48" Edge 540T EXP! hemituda 3D Flying 11019 Dec 13, 2014 05:08 PM
Wanted Extreme Flight 48" Edge 540T EXP FD Pilot Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2010 12:52 PM
Discussion Daniel Holman puts the new Extreme Flight EDGE 540T EXP through the wringer! EXTREME FLIGHT 3D Flying 21 May 30, 2010 02:17 AM
Discussion 42" AJ Slick or 48" Extreme Flight Edge 540T-EXP LeeJ 3D Flying 13 Mar 26, 2010 09:26 PM