Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Not strong enough

Are they rated for HV? If so then they may work for you at 8 volts
I agree 61 is not strong enough for me. 7.2 is HV yes so giving them 8.4 regulated should be fine as well since that's a fully charged 2S.

I went with the 7245s and wow I'm glad I did. Way faster than anything I have ever used. I only set my CC-BEC to 7.2v though.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:21 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
ok... i moved 1 hole in, and now 7235 'seem' a bit better... well, i guess ill fly, and after decide, im happy or no... (but for the record, on my next 60"-er, 7245 all around)

soo... next question... battery, will 45A powerpoles be good or i already need 70A ones? i was running 62A setup for a whole year with 0 problems on them, but as i understand 16x6 prop on torque will pull in mid-70A...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,078 Posts
Looking for some battery suggestions for my new Edge. I have had good luck with Gen Ace but their inventory has moved me to EP Buddy’s Glacier batteries. I have had 6 of the 3S 2200 35C and they were fantastic. So their 6S 3300 30C is on my list weighing 518g. Only problem is they are out of stock. I have never had a Sky Lipo but their 30C 3300 is $10 less and the same weight. I also have not had a Haiyin but hear good things but a little heavier at 565.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Looking for some battery suggestions for my new Edge. I have had good luck with Gen Ace but their inventory has moved me to EP Buddy’s Glacier batteries. I have had 6 of the 3S 2200 35C and they were fantastic. So their 6S 3300 30C is on my list weighing 518g. Only problem is they are out of stock. I have never had a Sky Lipo but their 30C 3300 is $10 less and the same weight. I also have not had a Haiyin but hear good things but a little heavier at 565.
desire power is my favorite brand. dont know how available they are in us.
theyr 6s 3300 35c comes in at 480gr.
the 5s 4200 35c is 525gr. the best packs i ve ever had. then again, lipos are lipos.
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:19 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,180 Posts
This is a tough one... I've used Gens, Skys, Nano-techs, Venoms, and GForce, along with the earlier Turnigy, Zippys, and Blue Lipos.

I have not bought anything other then Gens and Skys in over a year because they seem to hold up the longest, less IR over time, are very light, and have a 5C and 3C charge rate, respectively. I'd like to try the Glacier, Haiyan, and the GForce Elite series, because I hear good things too, but unless I have over 100 cycles through them, they will be tough to compare, or recommend.

The thing that makes it tough to recommend batteries, is that I know that cells in batteries that are even 3 times the price as Skys, are a commodity bought and sold on the OEM market. So the brand you like today, may not be the same tomorrow.

This makes it tough because two of our newer planes require matching a 2 pack, so they must be the same. Buying different batteries to test becomes expensive because you have to buy two, and if you don't like them, or if one craps out, you have to buy two of your favorite brand to replace it.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
This is a tough one... I've used Gens, Skys, Nano-techs, Venoms, and GForce, along with the earlier Turnigy, Zippys, and Blue Lipos.

I have not bought anything other then Gens and Skys in over a year because they seem to hold up the longest, less IR over time, are very light, and have a 5C and 3C charge rate, respectively. I'd like to try the Glacier, Haiyan, and the GForce Elite series, because I hear good things too, but unless I have over 100 cycles through them, they will be tough to compare, or recommend.

The thing that makes it tough to recommend batteries, is that I know that cells in batteries that are even 3 times the price as Skys, are a commodity bought and sold on the OEM market. So the brand you like today, may not be the same tomorrow.

This makes it tough because two of our newer planes require matching a 2 pack, so they must be the same. Buying different batteries to test becomes expensive because you have to buy two, and if you don't like them, or if one craps out, you have to buy two of your favorite brand to replace it.
absolutely yes!
the way to go is to buy from producer-brands and not relablers.
gen ace is a producer for example (desire power as well)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
if i had to do a chart....desire 35c would take first place, gens 25c 2nd and fullymax 35c third.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Is anyone using a separate 2S battery to power the 7245's if so what capacity pack are you using and how many flights do you get on a charge?
I use (2) 350mah 2s packs, unregulated. I get 4 flts out before I have to swap packs.
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,433 Posts
I am starting to push 100 cycles with some if my 6s Glacier lipos and so far so good. Haven't noticed any loss of power from new yet and IR is maintaining. They are expecting stock on the 10th if you could wait. Skys and gens are top notch but never in stock in the size you need. We'll soon find out how EP buddy holds up to the demand... Seems more and more are using them. 6s 3300 are popular in helis too so that adds to the demand.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:48 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo! maiden finally is behind my back! to put it short, if after maidening my 51", i was grinning ear to ear for a while, here im simply smiling...

when i hooked torque-hayin3600 6s 30c-vess 16x6 to wattmeter, my jaw was nearly on the floor, 1600w at around 70-75A!!! in the air, it did not feel THAT overpowered, maybe because i was being gentle, maybe because 6 pitch is small, it felt just right!

even with rx battery, rx sattelite being as far as i could get, and esc mounted sideways under the motor box im still a tad more nose heavy than i like, but thats ok...altough i might try to make it neutral...

in flight? only real surprise for me was aeleron trim it took to fly level... apart from that?
i have not flown anything that big for a while, so it felt a bit strange... for some unknown reason, if on my 51" slick and 57" extra i was very happy with 70-75% expo than here, the less expo i put, the better plane felt!i actually flew my first battery with 0 rudder expo, rudder hiting elevator on max throw and thinking this thing got some serious rudder!! i ended up with around 50-55% expo everywhere, but i think i will go even lower!

only strange ('quirk'?) for me seemed that once i make mistake in harrier and start falling out (wich is not that easy to do) it takes more effort to get back without losing height and direction than on 3dhs planes...

to summarise? laser, extra, mxs, yak, here i come! and... i need more than 3 batteries!!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post

only strange ('quirk'?) for me seemed that once i make mistake in harrier and start falling out (wich is not that easy to do) it takes more effort to get back without losing height and direction than on 3dhs planes...

Prolly due to being nose heavy?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Prolly due to being nose heavy?
i have been running my slick and extra waay more nose heavy for a lot longer without this... im thinking because of propeller disc? (i just dont remember did it did that only on one side or both....
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:08 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,180 Posts
I have the ESC under the battery tray, and I fly with an 8-pitch. It will bite really well in high alpha. I would try the 7 pitch first and see because most guys have reported that they can't tell that much difference between the 16x7 and the 16x8, and you don't need more Amps. Since I have an ESC that can handle the real Amps, the 16x8 is what I use, and govern the WOT Amps to about 65A, which is about 1500W and 270 Watts per pound. It keeps things smooth and powerful, with plenty of 16x8 torque throughout the rest of the throttle cure without too much at WOT.

I also have a HV 100A ESC, which is a bit heavier than your ESC, probably, and the plane flies rock-solid neutral with the 6S 30C 3300mAh Sky about an inch in front of the wing tube.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:46 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
if i had to do a chart....desire 35c would take first place, gens 25c 2nd and fullymax 35c third.
http://www.revolectrix.com/

A local guy tested these out in the 65c range recently and they beat everything except Thunder Power(numbers weren't that far off). Posted in the Seattle thread. GensAce didn't do too bad, neither did Haiyin. Nanotechs and sky came in last.

They came personalized,(your name) and he got them pretty quick. In my experience buying bulk PCBs from Malaysia to WaState is it takes 3-5 days UPS.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
http://www.revolectrix.com/

A local guy tested these out in the 65c range recently and they beat everything except Thunder Power(numbers weren't that far off). Posted in the Seattle thread. GensAce didn't do too bad, neither did Haiyin. Nanotechs and sky came in last.

They came personalized,(your name) and he got them pretty quick. In my experience buying bulk PCBs from Malaysia to WaState is it takes 3-5 days UPS.

I have these batteries. They are good. And they stand behind their product.

I will order more. But they were having a problem with their balance connector that could become a safety issue. The owner posts here at RCG. Ask if they have resolved that issue before buying. The problem is the balance wires can pop out of the housing when connecting it to your charger's balance port. If two or more wires pop out, and make electrical contact, you'll find out how much energy lipos really have in no time.

Unless you get assurances that they have rectified the situation, I would not recommend these batteries to new users of lipo batteries. The owner did tell me they were working to solve this problem with their connector supplier, but I haven't followed up.

Performance wise, my son says they significantly out perform our gens ace 25c batteries in his 48" Extra.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f