HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:01 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
Thanks any way man! I gave up on finding a new airframe and started loOking at my damaged Extra.. The major part of the damage is the left side of the fuselage(along the wing mount), but it looks like it might go back together with minimal weight gain! With a bit of luck, I might have my 58" for Seff..

Then I can fly the wings off it, untill my edge shows up..
That's the spirit.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
That's the spirit.

I'm really surprised at how well my extra is going back together?
Most of the wood was there, it just needed to be "jig saw puzzled" back into shape.. The majority of the damage is the side of the fuselage behind the wing.. Other than that, the rudder hinges pulled out, and I wiped out a new Zoar 16x8..

Not only will it be up and flying in a few days, it will look like new as well.. I saved all of the yellow monocote, picked up a roll of blue, and I found the correct color silver for the stripe...
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:05 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
I do tend to be overzealous about rebuilding wrecked planes, but for me it is kind of fun and relaxing. Not to mention it helps develop some good skills for future use. But once you get used to doing it it also helps take some of the fear of crashing away when you realize how relatively easy it is to rebuild them. That's why I make it a point to save every little piece I can possibly find at the crash site. One thing I was thinking of doing from now on is to try to buy planes that share a lot of the same colors so you don't have to stock a store full of covering, since that is probably the most expensive part of the repair.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
thats how far it went....speaking about repairing
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:47 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Saved my Extra

I actually have good luck with repairing planes, and keeping them light enough to still perform.. This plane is so new, that I wanted replacement parts.. That wasn't in the cards, so 5 hours of repair work later, and My extra will make it to seff, along with the rest of my fleet... Now i just need to finish the 48" extra build,,
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:52 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
nicely done Tim!!looks like it never happened..you gotz skillz!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:10 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,560 Posts
I knew you can do it Tim !
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:43 AM
Cosa Nostra EXP
Desio (MB - Italy)
Joined Apr 2007
325 Posts
Quote:
I actually have good luck with repairing planes, and keeping them light enough to still perform.. This plane is so new, that I wanted replacement parts.. That wasn't in the cards, so 5 hours of repair work later, and My extra will make it to seff, along with the rest of my fleet... Now i just need to finish the 48" extra build,,
Wow Tim, it looks like a crash never happened. Nice work. Glad you're making it to SEFF.

Exsocio is offline Find More Posts by Exsocio
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,258 Posts
Nice work Tim! Very few folks involved in the hobby today could do that. I commend you for taking the time to get the Extra flying again and look forward to seeing you hucking up a storm with it at SEFF!
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined Jan 2009
397 Posts
EF you probably gave livinma1 a heart attack when he saw you posting on the thread hahaha.....
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:43 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
EF you probably gave livinma1 a heart attack when he saw you posting on the thread hahaha.....
Man Slats I just finished putting 2 aspirin under my tongue boss.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:06 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Nice work Tim! Very few folks involved in the hobby today could do that. I commend you for taking the time to get the Extra flying again and look forward to seeing you hucking up a storm with it at SEFF!
Thanks Guys, and Chris!! As we say, "it's a free airplane now"..

I'm looking forward to SEFF!!! Its going to be a blast!! I just ordered 4 rolls of night lights, and a pile of Xoar props!

My 48" EF Edge is going to be night plane this year..
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Mar 28, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
397 Posts
I pushed the wife off the computer chair, the phone was taking too long haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Man Slats I just finished putting 2 aspirin under my tongue boss.
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:34 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Looks great Tim! I hope I get a chance to see it at Seff. You going to be around for Wed night flying?
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:12 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Looks great Tim! I hope I get a chance to see it at Seff. You going to be around for Wed night flying?
Thanks,
Unfortunately I'm leaving mid day Wed.. I'll be getting there Sunday evening.. It's my busy season at the bike shop, and I'm lucky my boss gave me 3 days.. I probably could have taken the whole week, but I don't want to take advantage of a good thing..

Yes!! It looks like the Extra will make it untill the New 60" Edge shows up.. Unfortantly I have to retire the extra to build my Edge...
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Mar 28, 2011 at 09:41 PM.