HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:48 PM
I fly. I'm pilot.
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Oct 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
sooo...i guess i can oficially subscribe here! rwb edge, fresh epoxy and fresh thin ca and a bunch of servo extensions ordered!

only problem is batteries... i want bigger than 3300 so im trying 3600 hayin, but they tell me that even 1 pack is too heavy to ship... gens aces is out of stock, sky has either 3300 either 4000.... and as much as i couldnt tell anything bad about 4s 4000 nanotech, i dont want them...
I am running Turnigy Nano-Tech 4000mah 6S 25C batteries in mine. I haven't flown the plane yet, I just finished it tonight, so I might fly it this weekend. I will let you know how they are.

I ordered them from Hobby King's USA warehouse. They arrived at my house in 3 days, and shipping was only about $15 for both of them using Priority Mail.

Mine arrived in great condition, all cells good. Some reviews claimed dead cells, but mine were fine, and balanced on arrival. I think anything from the USA warehouse is a safer bet than international.

EDIT: I just saw that you are in the UK. Disregard comments about the Hobby King's USA warehouse.
GravyRobber is offline Find More Posts by GravyRobber
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,447 Posts
My nanotech 4s 2650's lasted about 50 flights before I quit using due to heat and lack of power... after 20 I noticed a decrease in power and didn't balance very good. Close enough but nothing like the others mentioned.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
My nanotech 4s 2650's lasted about 50 flights before I quit using due to heat and lack of power... after 20 I noticed a decrease in power and didn't balance very good. Close enough but nothing like the others mentioned.
hmm...i guess nanos are hit and miss than.... i had 2x 4s 4000 25c and honestly, after a year of owning them i could not tell the difference in the air from gens aces...

(IR was 2-3 ohm higer than gens)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:00 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,447 Posts
We may hear more about the bad... but I have read a lot of bad experiences with the nanotech on top of my own.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,601 Posts
Yea not so good experience with 2 nano's here 3S 2200mah 35C - 70C rating. Used them in a PZ Extra 300 2 years ago. I didn't have my Hyperion Charger then so don't know what the IR was. They came down very warm from the start and started to puff not long after. The heat is what worried me cause they were hot not just warm after about 40 cycles. Now I bought them because a guy at the field was using 6S in a 60" 540 and he liked them. Hit or miss sounds about right.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:14 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,246 Posts
It may have something to do with longevity. I know guys that bought many Nanos and thought they were great at the beginning. Over time, not so much. I see mostly Gens and Skys now in their battery bags.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:25 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Ive never had a hobby city pack not puff.
At least they are consistant
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
I fly. I'm pilot.
Joined Oct 2012
97 Posts
I've got a 3S Rhino or Zippy or whatever that is still going strong after over 2 years. I don't remember how many flights because I don't keep track. It's definitely hit or miss. I use a Thunder Power TP-610 charger.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:15 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,488 Posts
Ill throw my .02 cents in. I have owned alot of different brands of batteries...mostly cheapies. Ive owned 7 nano's...4 puffed, 2 might as well be puffed as the power is horrible, and 1 is great. Ive owned 8 Turnigy's...all are still fine. 2 Zippys...just fine, 1 Thunderpower...great battery, 2 Gens Ace...great, 1 Genesis.....great, 4 Sky Lipo...fine, 4 Blue Lipo....fine.
A couple of other off brands in their as well...sooooo...the only ones Ive had that went bad were the Nano's

PS...I do have a puffy Rhino, but it was because I left it in my radio on. In fact, I massaged it back and it still powers my radio.

PS....If you had told me 5 years ago that someday I would type out " I do have a puffy Rhino", I would have called you a liar.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:23 AM
I fly. I'm pilot.
Joined Oct 2012
97 Posts
I am definitely curious to see how my nanos do. I bought them with the thought that "they are cheap. If they work out, great, if they fail, they were cheap". I'll report back after I get a few flights on them and see how the seem to be holding up initially.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:11 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyRobber View Post
I've got a 3S Rhino or Zippy or whatever that is still going strong after over 2 years. I don't remember how many flights because I don't keep track. It's definitely hit or miss. I use a Thunder Power TP-610 charger.
I actually had my blue Turnigys and my Zippys for a long time and never thought about buying another brand. Then I did, and found that there was a considerable increase in power, so I checked the voltage sag and found the Zippy and Turnigy batteries were sagging a lot at WOT. After cycling the new batteries to about the same number, I found the Skys and Gens to sag considerably less, so I started checking IR. The difference in initial IR, and the IR over time, is why I just don't buy Turnigy and Zippy anymore. BUT... they are cheap enough that if you keep track of the sag and rotate them out before it starts to affect motor performance, then why not? But I think the prices have come up a bit and the shipping cost makes them more expensive now than the Skys, if I'm not mistaken.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,601 Posts
Turnigy's Zippy's and Nano's were poor performers in 2S & 3S for me.
I had 4 x 610mah 2S Rhino's I left 1 plugged in nw and killed it. Blew another up with my charger not paying attention to what I was doing and the other 2 have at least 250 cycles each and still power my 2 twisted hobby's foamies very well. Can't remember the last time I checked the IR so I'll do that tonight. I think they were around 10 ohms but I'm not too sure. They have been very good for me. I keep meaning to order some more.
I almost ordered some Rhino's in 6S 3700mah but w/ the cheapest shipping totaled to over $120. Not too hateful a price if they perform as well as the little ones. But the deal breaker was international airmail. Last time I used that method it took 3 months to get to Virginia. 2 Skys were an even C-note with some extensions to get the free shipping and I had them in like 4 days. I also ordered 2 GForce 30C 3300s last weekend that should be in the post when I get home today. they really appealed to me since they were only 478g vs 556g for my Haiyin 3300s 30C
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,246 Posts
I'm with you on that. Value Hobbies and Hobbypartz has gotten all of my battery business for over a year now and their products and service have been the least of my concerns. I like that, so I don't see any change coming anytime soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:37 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,601 Posts
Exactly my thoughts Aeroplayin and It feels good to know I'm not reliant on a company that doesn't seem to have any scruples.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
I fly. I'm pilot.
Joined Oct 2012
97 Posts
I'll definitely have to give some others a try when I get my next batch of batteries.