Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:39 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,206 Posts
I have a 100A ESC, but unrestricted, it may hit 82A on the flight stand with a fully charged battery, but in the air, we never saw more than 70A with a 16x8 Xoar on 6S. I prefer headroom, but a good 80A ESC should be fine. I'd like to know more about Castle's new Talon 90. At $90, a 9A continuous output, and 3 oz, it seems like an option.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
I fly. I'm pilot.
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Oct 2012
97 Posts
Yea I was actually just looking at that. Anybody have experience with it?

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/talon.html
GravyRobber is offline Find More Posts by GravyRobber
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:23 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,206 Posts
I think Frankjp mentioned that he bought one for the 64 MXS his is finally assembling. I'll see him this weekend if he doesn't wander onto this thread today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyRobber View Post

For a motor, I was thinking about this Hacker A40-12L

Probably be a bit too small......
alternate if going with Hacker is the Hacker A50-14XS v2

But.. Chris just walked in and let me know that the motors and ESC's have shipped...
and should be here mid to end of next week.
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
Probably be a bit too small......
alternate if going with Hacker is the Hacker A50-14XS v2

But.. Chris just walked in and let me know that the motors and ESC's have shipped...

That Hacker is anything but small. And it runs this setup cooler than my Motrolfly runs my Edge540.
You can't beat it on 5s.

That's my 2c

EDIT:
I would have gone with the power combo had it been in stock, especially after seeing the new mkII the other day on 6s 15x8 prop.

But I'm totally happy with the recommended Hacker.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
That Hacker is anything but small. And it runs this setup cooler than my Motrolfly runs my Edge540.
You can't beat it on 5s.

That's my 2c

EDIT:
I would have gone with the power combo had it been in stock, especially after seeing the new mkII the other day on 6s 15x8 prop.

But I'm totally happy with the recommended Hacker.
I haven't tried the hacker on 5s, I did try one on 6s and it was fine, but I wasn't blown away like I was with the motrofly on 6s with the 16x8... I haven't flown on the newer torque though.

I usually only use hackers if the other two aren't available at the time. Nothing wrong with them, just my 3rd favorite.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
That Hacker is anything but small. And it runs this setup cooler than my Motrolfly runs my Edge540. You can't beat it on 5s.
Sure, and to put it into perspective...

The MKII is 500Kv, which means on 6S and 3.8v per cell, let’s say, and an 82% Kv efficiency, you’re swinging a 16 inch prop about 9350 RPMs.

The DM4315 is a 480Kv which means on the same 6S and 3.8v per cell, and an 82% Kv efficiency, you’re swinging a 16 inch prop about 8975 RPMs.

The A40-12L is a 410Kv which means on 6S and 3.8v per cell, let’s say, and an 85% Kv efficiency since I know these motors are a bit more efficient from experience, you’re swinging the same prop to only about 7950 RPMs. Use a 5S batter on the same setup and you’re down to 6620 RPMs.

The A50-14XS V2 is a 564Kv which means on the same 6S battery and an 85% Kv efficiency, you’re swinging a 16 inch prop about 10,930 RPMs.

Use a 5S battery on the same setup and you’re at 9110 RPMs, which means you’re generating about the same power (spinning the same prop to about the same RPMs) as the MkII and the DM4315 on 6S.

So good advice for only 2 cents.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I haven't tried the hacker on 5s, I did try one on 6s and it was fine, but I wasn't blown away like I was with the motrofly on 6s with the 16x8... I haven't flown on the newer torque though.

I usually only use hackers if the other two aren't available at the time. Nothing wrong with them, just my 3rd favorite.
THis motor isn't rated for 6s. WHat setup was in the plane? I know I'm not pushing it on 5s 16x8 as it comes down a little over a 102 degrees f.

I have 4 brand new Haiyin 3s 3300 mah packs I could run in series. I may give it a shot.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
I fly. I'm pilot.
Joined Oct 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
Great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I think Frankjp mentioned that he bought one for the 64 MXS his is finally assembling. I'll see him this weekend if he doesn't wander onto this thread today.
Looking forward to hearing the impressions.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:13 PM
Grand Junction , Co
Joined Sep 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyRobber View Post
Yea I was actually just looking at that. Anybody have experience with it?

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/talon.html
I ran it on Align 550 running 4 full size digital servos and the FBL controller during beta testing it, never missed a beat,bec worked great etc. It's what I am putting on my MXS.
WestColoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WestColoFlyer
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:37 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,455 Posts
How do the motor wires hold up- aren't they plugged into this ESC? I think securing the motor wires was a concern of a few people....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestColoFlyer View Post
I ran it on Align 550 running 4 full size digital servos and the FBL controller during beta testing it, never missed a beat,bec worked great etc. It's what I am putting on my MXS.
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:10 AM
Grand Junction , Co
Joined Sep 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
How do the motor wires hold up- aren't they plugged into this ESC? I think securing the motor wires was a concern of a few people....?
Yes if your motor wires reach the ESC you can plug them right into the ESC by installing the connectors Castle sends with. From my experience I had no issues with the connectors trying to back out of the ESC, so I would think if your have your ESC and motor wires secured I dont see any issues.
WestColoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WestColoFlyer
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:43 AM
I fly. I'm pilot.
Joined Oct 2012
97 Posts
Well awesome. Maybe I'll go with that setup. I see Tower is selling them for $77!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, IN, Fishers
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Axi motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMProduction View Post
With my setup /AXi 4120/20, Phoenix Castle ICE 50HV, 3x HS-225MG, 1x HS-5245MG, ZIPPY Compact 2700mAh 6S 25C Lipo Pack/ is flying weight 2,45kg and with same baterry, but 35C is weight 2,5kg.
I have an Axi 4120/20 that I can get for cheap. Does anyone know about this motor? Are the mounting bolts the same as the Torque motors? Will this motors perform on 6s and will the 1 oz weight penalty make a difference?

Thanks!
platnuim1 is offline Find More Posts by platnuim1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by platnuim1 View Post
I have an Axi 4120/20 that I can get for cheap. Does anyone know about this motor? Are the mounting bolts the same as the Torque motors? Will this motors perform on 6s and will the 1 oz weight penalty make a difference?

Thanks!
Axis are great motors. I have a 4120/18 in a 59" Slick with an ICE 75, and it's awesome. Go with a 75 amp ESC and a 15x6 prop on a 6s3300 pack and I think you'll love it. Don't know about the mount, though. The bolt on prop adapter is the same as an Eflite Power 46 or 60, if you need one, and cheaper than the AXI mount.

AXI specs:

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=20&line=GOLD

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck