Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:56 AM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Check out my blog for a post concerning set up and CG. Basically you need to kepp doing test flights and keep moving the lipo aft until you can trim the plane to fly hands off level upright and the go inverted and continue to fly hands off and level while inverted. Once you have achieved this you will have what is known as neutral CG. DO NOT go further back! You will have your hands full! Tom and I both like neutral CG for 3D. Some prefer to be just forward of this so they are required to add just a touch of down elevator while inverted to stay level. When I say down, I mean push right stick forward during inverted flight to keep nose up. Slight nose heavy CG is a bit more stable thsn neutral but everyone had their own sweet spot. Find neutral and then play with it from they till ur happy
I have mine set at the mid point around 4.25 I think (whatever the 1/2 way in the range is). I know Tom is running a mega ESC so it makes sense why he can put his battery on the wing tube. My battery is a good inch or more from the tube and I have no trim except a click or two. If you get too tail heavy this plane gives some odd coupling to the gear pretty bad.
mbritt is offline Find More Posts by mbritt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:01 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,584 Posts
Well just ordered one of these bad boys
Setup
Motrolfly 4315-480 with probably a 16x8
Ice lite 100
CC 10 amp BEC
Hitec 7245s all around
I have a bunch of 6s 3000 I run in a heli that I will be using for now... What weight batteries are you guys running on the low end? I'm concerned they will be too light.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:55 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,547 Posts
They will be fine. I'm running (2) 4S 2200's in series for an 8S 2200; weighs just about 500g installed. I think your batts will be in the neighborhood of 560g-ish, right? Mine balances about mid-batt tray at 500g, so you'll be a little aft of that.
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:14 AM
The Great and Powerful Oz
Bismarck, ND USA
Joined Jun 2001
351 Posts
My only gripe is with the white ball links...pretty loose and sloppy right out of the bag. I have a whole bag of Rocket City links left over from when I flew helis, and replacement balls as well. I'm going to replace the white links with the Rocket City links and tighten things up a bit!
Woody is offline Find More Posts by Woody
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:00 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,512 Posts
Im also running the 16x7 and can confirm the rocky attribute. I tried the 16x8 and a 15x8. I like the 16x7 the best of the 3 and my throttle isnt dialed down at all.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,430 Posts
In the prop testing in December, Tom actually liked the Aeronaut 16x7 and the Vox 16x7 better than the Xoar 16x7. From the subjective testing, where he was not told what prop was on the plane, I'd say he liked these two at least as good as the 16x8 Xoar... maybe better, but certainly better than the rest of the props tested.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:43 PM
USA, IN, Fishers
Joined Jul 2007
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
My only gripe is with the white ball links...pretty loose and sloppy right out of the bag. I have a whole bag of Rocket City links left over from when I flew helis, and replacement balls as well. I'm going to replace the white links with the Rocket City links and tighten things up a bit!
Ya love the plane but the white ball links are sloppy. Replace them for sure with a good set. It makes a noticeable difference.
mbritt is offline Find More Posts by mbritt
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbritt View Post
Ya love the plane but the white ball links are sloppy. Replace them for sure with a good set. It makes a noticeable difference.
I've been noticing how bad mine are lately, can you suggest a brand name of good ball links?
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:19 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,430 Posts
DuBro: http://www.dubro.com/

Central Hobbies has some good ones too: http://www.centralhobbies.com/contro...ll%20links.htm

For guys outside the US, I have heard these are very good too: http://www.ganz-klar-vitrinen.de//shop.php?id=20
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
I'm using the Hangar 9 (HAN3618) 2mm x 2-56/2mm Ball Links. There great, no slope what so ever. But the supplied white ball links are fine. I just tried this set up to help with the Hitec servos.

Servo arms are Airwild that I tap with a DuBro 2mm tap.
vanhey1 is offline Find More Posts by vanhey1
Last edited by vanhey1; Aug 03, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,735 Posts
Quote:
Disappointing...
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:04 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhey1 View Post
I'm using the Hangar 9 (HAN3618) 2mm x 2-56/2mm Ball Links. There great, no slope what so ever.

Servo arms are Airwild that I tap with a DuBro 2mm tap.
geometry looks off?
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Last edited by -= GYRO =-; Aug 02, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:27 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
Picture what the geometry looks like at full extension.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
Picture what the geometry looks like at full extension.
ah ha! you are right!
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:36 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
For the rest of the story...

The control rod is 90 degrees to the hinge line at the point where the
servo arm has reaches full deflection. In this case, the force is greatest at
full deflection where flight loads are likely to be the greatest and the deflection travel is closer to a fully linear motion.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_